4hp Johnson outboard service manual needed

Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:27 am

Got my hands on a 4hp Johnson back up engine that needs a little work done before I take it out… needs the impeller changing and new throttle cable.

It may also need the Carb and feeds cleaned… have done a fair bit of work on motorbike engines so I know the general run of things but I feel I need the service manual for this as I have never done any major work on outboards,

Can anyone tell me where I might get the manual for this motor… also a link or number of a place I might get the parts needed,

In anticipation of your help I thank you,

Mike.

Re: 4hp Johnson outboard service manual needed

Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:59 pm

you have a pm...

Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:45 pm

Many Thanks Lee :D :D :D

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:20 am

i wonder can you tell me does the johnson 4hp have a reverse gear?

Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:18 pm

Any chance of PMing me with it too!!!!!!!!

Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:07 am

twinkle wrote:i wonder can you tell me does the johnson 4hp have a reverse gear?

Twinkle,

mine dont have reverse but i cant say if maybe the newer models have it or no... theres no real need of it with such a light engine as you can easily turn it around to go backward...

I'm very happy to announce that thanks to Jim my pisser is pissing better then me after 14 pint of Guinness,

I was lucky to pick a marine repair shop that had the impellor in stock " Seamus O'Malley sixmilebridge " and a very helpfull chap he is... I also asked him for a throttle cable and he prepaired me for the shock of the price €108 so i made my own from a bike brake cable,

Tricky little job getting the gear bar / water feed pipe and drive shaft to slot home at the same time,

had to use a boot lace around the pipe to hold it in place while guiding the shaft home and it felt great when after many attempts it all slotted together... i told my mate not to be smiling too much as we may have to take it apart again if the water is not coming out as it should but we got lucky,

Took it out for a bladder last night... it worked fine for 15min's or so then cut out had to remove plug's and tip in a little petrol before we could get it going so took the carb apart today cleaned that the feeds / tank and filter... starts fine now but wont know the full story until we take it for a good run in the morn

Here's seamus's number in case any of you need bit's >061 369342< you might be lucky as i was and find he has what you need.