Garmin Sat Nav - Into Marine Backup

Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:21 pm

A Cracking tip for you guys that will make your car Sat Nav an invaluable back up. Or in my case a permanent solution for a week. :shock:

If you have Garmin Mapsource and Garmin Bluechart Maps use the select maps function and select all the Bluechart Ireland Maps.
Now Export these Maps to an SD type memory card (about 25Mb). You will need a card reader or a built in SD slot on you PC.
Plug the SD card into your Garmin Car Sat Nav. Turn the unit on.
Go to settings (spanner) then Map icon, them Map Info Tab You will see 2 types of Maps. The city maps and your Bluechart Maps.
Turn off the city maps and select the Bluechart Maps. [you can't run 2 maps at the same time]
Run the unit in off Road mode. settings (spanner) then Navigation icon

You will now see all the contour lines, Reefs, buoys, Wrecks & various other bits.. You will not see the depths displayed on the screen as you do in you GPS unit, buy if you touch on Any Contour Line it will display the min & / max depths.

I managed to load the Bluechart maps onto my Garmin Nuvi 310. I was recently away in Brandon for a week and my main GPS unit was acting up. I managed to work around it perfectly, using the Car Sat Nav and Mapsource in the PC for the finer detail in the evenings. I even rigged a 12V output to Charge the Sat Nav unit 8) 8) Even Mohawk would be proud :D

Sorry for the crappy pics. My Blackberry doesn't like close ups.

Howth in Close

Brandon Bay

Re: Garmin Sat Nav - Into Marine Backup

Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:57 am

your now going to have to change your name to radar lol .that was very clever have to try that good tip thanks

Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:46 am

thats a great tip kev, it must be a great thing to be able to sort things like that out for yourself. :wink:
if you want to practice on my car sat nuvi feel free :lol: :lol:

Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:12 pm

What Model is your Sat Nav John? Is it a Garmin?

Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:14 pm

it is a garmin have to check later herself has it in her jeep, its some sort of wide nuvi

Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:49 pm

MAC wrote: I even rigged a 12V output to Charge the Sat Nav unit 8) 8) Even Mohawk would be proud :D

Flattery will not get you the sought after conger marks Kev :D :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

However I do know of a gilthead / bass / golden grey mark that's not next or near the usual one in fact it's a few miles from it and is much more accessible in a small boat and can be fished in WX that makes the usual unfishable and vise versa so it's a handy back up :wink: The giltheads have spread out from the HW outlet..... you'll have to sign the official secrets act in blood though :wink: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:57 pm

QSK,QSK, jim can i have the QTH for them giltheads aswell :wink:

Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:18 pm

JOHN1 wrote:QSK,QSK, jim can i have the QTH for them giltheads aswell :wink:

NO :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Think I'll put em on flea bay so start bidding :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:06 pm

MAC wrote:.. You will not see the depths displayed on the screen as you do in you GPS unit, buy if you touch on Any Contour Line it will display the min & / max depths.

Brandon Bay

Nope, sorry. No matter how hard or how many times I touch that screen, nothing comes up. And now my monitor is covered in dirty fingerprints...... :?

:D

Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Mohawk wrote:
Flattery will not get you the sought after conger marks Kev :D :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :wink:

Damn..... It was worth a try though

Mohawk wrote:However I do know of a gilthead / Bass / golden grey mark that's not next or near the usual one in fact it's a few miles from it and is much more accessible in a small boat and can be fished in WX that makes the usual unfishable and vise versa so it's a handy back up :wink: The giltheads have spread out from the HW outlet..... you'll have to sign the official secrets act in blood though :wink: :lol: :lol:

Sounds very interesting, Official secrets act sounds fine.... I'll buy the pints :roll:

Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:01 pm

A Cracking tip for you guys that will make your car Sat Nav an invaluable back up.

Now who said geeks don't fish :D :D :D :D