Problem with outboard, help needed.

Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi folks I am having a problem with me yamaha 115 2 stroke outboard, was running perfect untill last week, i refuelled and went to start it straight away, wouldn't start, its turnng over and spluttering tryin its best to fire, but its just wont start.
I checked the fuel line from tank to engine all ok, cleaned and dried the plugs checked for spark all ok.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated before i have to take boat out and take to a dealer.
Thanks
Cormac.

Re: Problem with outboard, help needed.

Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:36 pm

if problem only started after refueling I would suspect dodgy fuel , had fuel been stored somewhere , is it deff petrol it was filled with??

Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:05 pm

There was probably dirt in your gas can drain out your tank and get fresh fuel.take of the carburetor and give it a clean carbs have jets that can easily get blocked.if your stuck id be happy to get it going for you im better with engines den fishing :mrgreen:

Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:43 pm

give the lads at ddm marine a ring they will help there very obliging to anyone from this site there number is above on the sticky

Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:34 pm

Thanks for the quick replies lads

Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:40 pm

Just to let ye know I replaced the spark plugs and charged up battery still no joy,
Took boat out of water and brought it home where I drained out the carbs, connected up to a seperate fuel tank with fresh fuel and she started straight away.. Thank God i'm gonna drain out the tank and put fresh lot of fuel in and test before relaunching. Thanks again.

Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:19 pm

glad you got it sorted wouldn't do no harm to stick on a fuel filter if it doesn't already have one

Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:55 am

if the petrol is laid up for a while condensaition builds up inside the can and you have water in it happened a few weeks back to my olfella same thing changed fule and sorted

Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:59 pm

glad you got sorted , petrol will also go stale especially in a fuel tank that gets shook up alot ,the likes of strimmers etc thats why it is always best to drain tanks and carbs if not going to be used for a while,if you open a container of fresh fuel you can see a haze of fumes , that is all the good stuff evaporating

Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi,

iI suspeci it may be the fuel you put in it. Firstly was it the correct ratio of 2 stroke to petrol mix?? If yes then have you had that fuel laying around for a while. Fuel is a hydrocarbon aromotic blend and the most common thing to happen with stored fuel is the most combustible elements of the fuel ie vapours, evaporate from the storing cannister leaving the fuel pretty dead in terms of its ignitable qualities. If the whole system checks out ok drain the carburettor anfd lines and reill with fresh fuel bought that day. If it is injection model bleed down andd re-prime.

Regards

Ian