ballast what to use?

Tue May 19, 2009 10:05 pm

= finally got the boat i bought in december in to the water tonight moored her in howth when we were in the harbour shes very flighty the guy that helped me mooring her reconds she needs ballast how do you now how much ballast and whats the best to use for ballast

Re: ballast what to use?

Tue May 19, 2009 10:14 pm

I haven't a clue, but don't do anything without a second opinion. Shes designed the way she is for a reason and weighting her down might get you in serious trouble..... My advice would be to pay for a professional opinion on this one. It could save your life. Sorry of this cames accross all melodramitic.

Kev

Tue May 19, 2009 10:44 pm

Is it the bow is up in the air? Maybe the trim pin on the engine needs to be moved?
Many boats handle better with a bag of sand in the bow!
What type of vessel is she?

Tue May 19, 2009 11:00 pm

shes a viking solus 21ft there has been a wheel house added and she seems top heavy with two of us standing on the same side she swung sharply and this was in the harbour would hate to try it in a choppy sea the mooring guy recons the last owner probley removed the ballast when he was selling it.but i have to get something cant use it as it is id be afraid it would flip also noticed the waterline is about 3 inches above the water and about 5 on the bow so this gives me the feeling the mooring guy is right

Tue May 19, 2009 11:05 pm

twinkle wrote:shes a viking solus 21ft there has been a wheel house added and she seems top heavy with two of us standing on the same side she swung sharply and this was in the harbour would hate to try it in a choppy sea the mooring guy recons the last owner probley removed the ballast when he was selling it.but i have to get something cant use it as it is id be afraid it would flip also noticed the waterline is about 3 inches above the water and about 5 on the bow so this gives me the feeling the mooring guy is right

Is this it
http://www.vikingowners.org.uk/theboats ... pe=archive

Tue May 19, 2009 11:15 pm

Good find!
That scrumpy makes you razor sharp Donal :D
I notice there's an owners forum there that may provide answers.

Tue May 19, 2009 11:38 pm

thats the one but there has been a wheel house added so this is where the problem lies me thinks
and fair play to you for the broucure been looking for that having looked at the forum i need ballast bad theres 32fts in there needing as much as i do these boats are very light and this wheelhouse just makes the balance worse think a chat
with the local yachtsman might throw up somthing they use ballast all the time

Wed May 20, 2009 1:41 am

sandbags , low down in middle of keel, secured so as no to roll about (same applies no matter what u use ) NOTHING that will move,

Wed May 20, 2009 10:33 am

[ attachment=0]edelboy launch 002.jpg[/attachment]
here she is been launched as you can see top heavy a friend of mine said some marine companys take out the ballast
especially if it was lead this i can believe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed May 20, 2009 11:50 am

I'd guess your problem lies in the fact that the original design does not take into account the additional height provided by the wheelhouse. Could you remove the wheelhouse and revert to the way the boat was made? Ìt's hard to be sure from the picture, but it looks like the wheelhouse adds about 1/3-1/2 to the designed height of the boat: don't think that's a good idea. Take Mac's advice and get a professional to look at it.

Fri May 22, 2009 10:15 pm

well after talking to hoards of boaters it seems viking boats all need ballast they are sold as
shells and you fit them your self bags of sand it is and allow the waterline level with the water adjust the ballance with amount of passegers il be standing on the pier with a weighing
scales 16stoners to the bow please ha ha.thanks to all that helped me with this let you know when its sorted regards twinkle

Mon May 25, 2009 11:22 am

Nice one..... Glad to see you got sorted.

Kev