Anyone know anything about Gas Cookers

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:30 am

I want to replace this cooker anyone know what make / model it is or where I might get one the same as this unit it used to be blue, has a thermo couple as you can see in pic and just out of pic it has a safety valve to ignite it. May-be ancient but it would make the replacement job simple if they are still available :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Anyone know anything about Gas Cookers

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:37 am

Run for the hills, my friend, run for the hills. It's safer there!!! :) :) :)

:mrgreen:
Sad I know, but I could'nt sleep!!!

Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:58 am

Mohawk wrote:I want to replace this cooker anyone know what make / model it is or where I might get one the same as this unit it used to be blue, has a thermo couple as you can see in pic and just out of pic it has a safety valve to ignite it. May-be ancient but it would make the replacement job simple if they are still available :?

Looks like an ad-hoc job.
What's the problem with it !

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:02 am

slowarm wrote:Run for the hills, my friend, run for the hills. It's safer there!!! :) :) :)

Sad I know, but I could'nt sleep!!!

It's dead safe, it works fine just the legs that the kettle sit on are burning away so the kettle will soon be unsteady! It's packed with Dept of the marine safety features/ regulations, don't let the look of the burner itself fool you! You don't see many electric gas burners, this is one It needs to be powered on before you can light it :wink: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Mohawk on Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:08 am

donal domeney wrote:
Mohawk wrote:I want to replace this cooker anyone know what make / model it is or where I might get one the same as this unit it used to be blue, has a thermo couple as you can see in pic and just out of pic it has a safety valve to ignite it. May-be ancient but it would make the replacement job simple if they are still available :?

It's working fine Donal but as you can see the legs (if thats what they're called) to support the kettle are burning away the SS box is home-brew and fits nicely where the cooker goes so wouldn't mind replacing it with the same type. A rub of a wire brush n a coat of paint would do a lot for the cosmetics of it.. Would heat res hammerite or something similar do the trick? if I have to daw fake new legs on it :wink:

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:23 am

Why not just weld on 4 new stabilizers on to it.
If the metal on the burner is too weak to take a weld make up a bracket with the 4 new stabilizers on it and drop it over the burner.

Coming up on 40 years this year as a gasman and the old stuff will out last anything modern.
Thermo/couples and the push button FFD that are used in that type of burner can still be got .

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:30 am

donal domeney wrote:Why not just weld on 4 new stabilizers on to it.
If the metal on the burner is too weak to take a weld make up a bracket with the 4 new stabilizers on it and drop it over the burner.

Coming up on 40 years this year as a gasman and the old stuff will out last anything modern.
Thermo/couples and the push button FFD that are used in that type of burner can still be got .

Hi Donal,

Yes I agree this thing is solid as a tank.. had to replace the termo couple and FFD last year the gas place in Turners Cross has all those bits in stock the lot cost about a tenner... think your right I'll put some new legs on it!

Will heat resistant hammerite do the paint job or would it be better left as is?

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:43 am

Mohawk wrote:
donal domeney wrote:

It's working fine Donal but as you can see the legs (if thats what they're called) to support the kettle are burning away the SS box is home-brew and fits nicely where the cooker goes so wouldn't mind replacing it with the same type. A rub of a wire brush n a coat of paint would do a lot for the cosmetics of it.. Would heat res hammerite or something similar do the trick? if I have to daw fake new legs on it :wink:

From what I can see from the photo the outer round section is just a cosmetic support for the main burner. The long tube from the injector to the burner head is the main section.
Not sure about the paint job but I use "BBQ" or "Wood Stove" paints from B&Q, Atlantic Homecare or Woodie's on gas fires to great effect.

Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:49 am

Mohawk wrote:
donal domeney wrote:Why not just weld on 4 new stabilizers on to it.

Hi Donal,

Yes I agree this thing is solid as a tank.. had to replace the termo couple and FFD last year the gas place in Turners Cross has all those bits in stock the lot cost about a tenner... think your right I'll put some new legs on it!

Will heat resistant hammerite do the paint job or would it be better left as is?

Look like a T900 Super Universal thermo couple lead fitted there

Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:07 am

[quote="donal domeney"}

Coming up on 40 years this year as a gasman[/quote]
Your right there donal you are a GASMAN LOL

Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:50 pm

donal domeney wrote:
Look like a T900 Super Universal thermo couple lead fitted there

Thanks for the info Donal!

It's was something like that all right came with loads of little surplus fittings and adaptors, does the 900 mean 900mm length? think it was 600 the original was about 300 but they had none in stock so had to loose the length as it went west in the middle of tea/coffee and a certain Donegal whinger's "pot noodle" gulping season :D :mrgreen:

I'll get some B&Q BBQ paint... next have to find a pensioner to send up there on a Wednesday for the cheap rates :wink: :lol: :lol:

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:05 pm

it went west in the middle of tea/coffee and a certain Donegal whingers "pot noodle" gulping season :D :mrgreen:

I'll get some B&Q BBQ paint... next have to find a pensioner to send up there on a Wednesday for the cheap rates :wink: :lol: :lol:[/quote]

Surly your local.... :evil: LIDL will stock it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:14 pm

ROADRUNNER wrote:
Surly your local.... :evil: LIDL will stock it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just found that pensioner, which Wednesday suits you Danny :wink: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:18 pm

Hi Mohawk.

Check out www.gasproducts.co.uk

They are a company in Bangor NI.
Click on boiler rings and you may find something suitable although they may be a bit juicy not to mind over the top at 8/9 kw rating. :shock:

Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:50 pm

Thanks for the link Big Col!

Well I went the recession route and welded new stainless steel stabilizers on to it and welded on a stainless nut to take the thermo couple, see the pic. Got hold of Danny's pension book :D and bought a can of black plasti-kote BBQ spray paint in B&Q.. that's another job must clean it up a bit first and it cant be removed from the stainless box enclosure ...

Donal is it the spray BBQ paint you use I saw it in white for appliances also! Do I need to paint it with a metal primer first or just give it a few coats of the spray.. not sure what primer would be suitable because the spay is heat res to 425 deg C
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:09 am

This suff is used to respray a BBQ (barbecue) there is also a simular product called Woodstove. Both are heat resistant sprays and cost about €10.

Beware :x Thursday is pensioners day out at Atlantic Homecare :lol: :lol:

Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:35 am

donal domeney wrote:This suff is used to respray a BBQ (barbecue) there is also a simular product called Woodstove. Both are heat resistant sprays and cost about €10.

Beware :x Thursday is pensioners day out at Atlantic Homecare :lol: :lol:

Got it today with Roadrunner's pension book told em in B & Q that he is too old and senile ranting on about still trying to catch his first ever fish to come in himself :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

I got the BBQ can was €10.70 less Danny's O.A pensioners discount :D

Does that require a primer or an undercoat of some kind or would you just give it a couple of coats of the spay itself?