propeller moving out of gear

Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:33 pm

Anyone any ideas

my prop is turning round slow even when the engine is out of gear,
one of the lads pointed it out down Dun laoghaire marina today
anyone any ideas how to fix the problem?
the engine is 40hp yam four stroke with power trim and tilt remote 06/07 model
thanks
anto

Re: propeller moving out of gear

Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:59 pm

Anto, was there a run of tide?

Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:16 pm

no. it moves the boat a bit sometimes. i trimed the engine out of the water earlier and the prop was moving and even more when i reved it up on the console

thanks
anto

Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:52 pm

Very normal Anto. Nothing to worry about. Torque and exhaust air starts it off. You'll notice that you can put your boot against it and stop it no hassle. It will move even slower if at all in water as the is too much resistance.

Kev

Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:13 am

na ive put my boot against it and it kepped on goin
it moves the boat along somethimes
a skipper of a fishing trawler pointed it out and said "thats not suposed to do that!!

thanks
anto

Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:12 am

MAC wrote:Very normal To. Nothing to worry about. Torque and exhaust air starts it off. You'll notice that you can put your boot against it and stop it no hassle. It will move even slower if at all in water as the is too much resistance.

Kev

Hi Kev you obviously don't have much respect on your feet ???

With the engine out of gear and your prop still running this is not so good but maybe easily fixable.

First of when you change "gear" from neutral to forward or reverse is there a loud crunching sound ??? (now it is normal to have a little)

If there is you may have a synchronizer problem with your gear box.

But most likely the cables going from the hand control to the engine need to be adjusted.

with the engine turned off and the couling off look at where the cables are attached to the engine...... there is a adjusting nut on the cable (not hex shaped but knurled) all you need to do is just this so as there is a little bit of play there and then you should be ok.

If this doesn't work out for you then you need to have a boat mechanic look at it then one way or another you will know the story.

Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:40 pm

thanks
i had a feeling it might be something to do with the cables because i fitted everything meself!
theirs a little bit of a clunk when i put it in gear, and when its out of gear theirs a slight rattle out of the engine, when i move the console around a bit the noise goes away
ill try that thanks

anto

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:42 pm

Hi Anto it sounds like the cables alright depending on the engine there might also be an adjusting screw on the control box as well.

try to loosen the cables on the engine giving a little bit of play to the gear leaver and this should sort you out