Garmin G2 Vision Cards

Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:15 am

Just purchased one of the newer Garmin colour Combi units for a new boat, a Garmin 450s. On initial inspection, it looks like a neat little package and nice of them to have the full UK and Ireland charts preloaded onto it... :D What I'm curious about before I go splurging more bucks is are the G2 vision cards any use? The pictures on the site and on the box look fantastic showing 3d underwater (fish eye view) and land (mariners eye view) detailing but is this just a marketing ploy or are they any good?

garmin

Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:51 am

I haven't seen one in the flesh yet to see if it would be of any advantage to the angler. Try a call to CH or Union to see if they have any operational units? I notice from the Garmin site that the charts are done from paper charts rather than some new hocus pocusery! While it may not give any "new" info, the way it is presented on screen might lead you to new ground.
I'd say buy one and be the guinea pig for the rest of us!!! :D

Garmin Link

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:07 am

I'd say buy one and be the guinea pig for the rest of us!!!

Thats very kind of you Jim.... :D

I bought the unit in CH Marine, they have a working model there but it didnt have a G2 vision card in it

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:25 am

I haven't seen them or used the G" cards Pete. I think once you have you IRE chart Data, that should be plenty. I'm guessing that the photo and sea floor data, will only be for area's that have been Charted recently.. :?: Might not be much there for Ireland.

Kev

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:30 am

Yeah, I was thinking along those lines myself Kev. I have all the blue chart Data for the whole of the UK and Ireland preloaded onto the unit. The fish eye view and Mariners eye view features look impressive but I am wondering just how good it would be locally before I go throwing another ball of cash at a gimmick.

garmin

Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:58 pm

Go on! Go on! Go on!
You know you want to!! :D :D :D

Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:45 pm

All donations for research purposes gratefully received..... :D

Re: Garmin G2 Vision Cards

Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:18 pm

I have a Garmin 550 on the Sea Fox and find them to be a very good unit.

I was told the G2 Cards are a bit gimmicky !!

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:02 pm

well i have ordered one today will have it for friday hopfully and will let you know whats it like i my garmin 3210 :roll: :?

Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:59 pm

we got the card i have used it from home panned out to wexford and zoomed in to 2 nm it just opened up a whole new fishing era with the wrecks and banks depth of water i have to say very happy so far will put a few pics up later in the week and i will get to try it out over the weekend :wink: :wink:

Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:50 am

What part of the world are you in and where are you going to test it?

Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:00 am

hi im near bunclody and will be testing it all around kilmore ,duncannon ,hook that area for the time being using it yesterday very good bit of kit i would not be to well up on these chartplotters but time will tell