Johnson 5HP Manuals (1994)

Wed May 21, 2008 10:07 am

Hi All,
I've just picked up (free so far) a 1994 Johnson 5HP Long-shaft (to hopefully use as my AUX) that hasn't been run for a couple of years. The Model No. is J6RLERE.
This is a long shot, but would any of you lads have a copy of a workshop / owners manual, or know where I might get one?
Is there anything I should do to it (exc plugs, oil etc which I'm already going to do) prior to trying to get it running? :roll:

I would welcome any of advice you lads might have.
Thanks in advance, Ken.

Wed May 21, 2008 11:49 am

Hi Ken,

1994... sounds ok.... I have a 70's chrysler in the garage that still runs. :wink:

Right, where to start,
A Manual should be available off ebay in paper or CD format. The CD is much cheaper and you just print the sections, but a paper book is much easier to read.... CD should cost you about €15 and the paper manual for Seloc or another printer should be about €40ish shipped to Ireland.

Before you buy anything for the engine, give it a good look over. Check that you are getting a spark from the HT leads. Coils can be expensive little feckers. Also remove the plugs, and slowly pull the start cord, Listed for any rattles or knocks... This might help indicate if any of the pistons rings are busted....

Also

Drain the lower unit gear oil. Check for metal filings and water in the lower unit oil. Your engine has been laid up so the water will be the first to run out. Also the oil, might be a little sludgie and greenish. If there are large metal filings the gears could be wearing or knackered. If there is water in there, it will just be a gasket replacement.

OK, so you going to keep the engine.......you'll need
Some tools.... :wink:
New Spark plug, buy two.
Some 6mm fuel line (optional)
Lower unit gear oil
Impeller
Carb Gasket kit (optional)

Remove the fuel lines running into the Carb. Replace or clean these as needed. you can get 6mm fuel line from a motor supplies shop. Straighten a wire coat hanger and tie a small rag to one end. Run the coat hanger through the fuel lines. This should lift any heavy gummed fuel. Repeat this as many times as needed. Soaking the rag in white spirits will also help. Just make sure you let it dry out before you re-attach.

Next, remove the carb. Be careful with the carb as there is likely to be a few gaskets. If these crack or break they will need to be replaced, although it may be possible to use some gasket repair silicone. Check with a local dealer, they should be able to order you a carb kit that will include all gaskets and seals. OB MArine in Finglas are very good for parts. Open the fuel bowl and have a look around. Be very careful and give the lot a clean. Make sure the fuel pin is not stuck. This can be freed with some WD 40 if needed.

Next replace the Impeller. Make sure the impellor housing is in good condition as well. Replace or clean if necessary.

Once the lower is put back together, replace the lower unit gear oil.

Lastly,

Check the pisser. You might be able to remove the waterline and give it a clean. Clean the N!pple or nozzle as well with some stiff mono (80lb) push it into the hole, this help free up and limescale or salt deposits or any bugs that have made this spot their home..

I'm sure I've missed something, but that should get you started.

The whole lot should cost you about €80-100 and a and a few evenings work.

A few tips
Use a digital camera. Take photos of all parts as you remove them. This way you can double check the sequence if you are stuck.

Tackle one thing at a time and try leave yourself enough time to take apart and re-assemble the component you are working one. There is nothing better than a nights sleep to clear the mind :lol: I found this one out the hard way.

I think you 1994 is a 100:1 fuel to oil mix..... When starting her up again for the first time run for your first hour on some 50:1. The extra oil will help get the block lubricated again.

I'm sure I've forgotton something, I'll post again if I remember anything.

Good luck,

Kevin

Wed May 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Kev, Thanks for such a detailed response. I have a mechanical background, so I should be able to manage doing the items you've listed. Is the impeller you refer to, the water pump? or a different impeller.

The 50:1 fuel to oil tip sounds like a very good idea for something that has not been run for such a long time :idea: (Hope I survive the extra smoke :lol: )

Wed May 21, 2008 1:29 pm

No hassle at all. I'm glad you have a mechanical background. At least you didn't see the post and say feck that.... :lol:

The impeller is the rubber star type part that sits in a housing just above the lower unit. It sucks in cool water aand pumps it around the engine to provide the required cooling.

Kev

Thu May 22, 2008 1:28 pm

Well MAC,
The engine seems to a lot better mechanically than I expected. Last night I got it mounted on a board clamped in a portable workbench. Listened for ring noises & replaced the plugs, cleaned the fuel filter mesh, removed the air intake box and fired her up. It started almost first time, and the flow of water from the cooling witness pipe is very good (so I might hold off on replacing the impeller). The only problem I had was it cut out several times after a couple of minutes, but I'm putting this down to it drawing air through the quick disconnect fuel fitting at the engine (as it visibly leaks a lot when I squeeze the priming bulb). There is a fast idle knob at the end of the throttle lever which does not seem to do anything, but I think I can live with that (unless I can find how it connects to the carb?)
One thing I noticed is that it needs the choke briefly each time to start after cutting out (even when hot) is this normal with 2 strokes?

Overall it should do the trick when the new fuel fitting is replaced and the g/box oil is changed - Happy Days :lol:

Cheers, Ken.

Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:13 pm

A little choke seems to be the norm on the older 2 strokes alrigh, unless you give it a serious run. Sounds like she is in decent nick. Personally, I'd change the impeller anyway. Very simple job and it might save a right off :shock: The rubber goes hard after time, so you never know....

Sounds like you got a decent aux there.

Kev

Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:15 pm

I have a 1990-2000 johnson service manual. I'll pm you with the details.