Buying inshore angling boat - any suggestions as to model

Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:20 pm

Lads,
Bit late in the season but I am looking to buy something for both inshore and maybe on good days a wee bit offshore. Was looking at the Warrior 165, O'Sullivan Marine models and a couple of the Redbay boats. Anybody any experience of such boats or any recommendations of other models or good dealers? Cheers for any help.

Pete

Tue Aug 17, 2004 3:58 pm

Don't forget the Orkney range. Superb sea craft. I used to own a 16' Longliner, sorry now I ever sold it.

The other one that tickles my fancy is the Redfin 6000. Built in Ireland, too.

Prospective boat purchase

Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:53 pm

I have dealt with Redbay over a number of years. In fact I have bought two boats from them, both RIBs. As you already probably aware, they sell second hand as well as making new boats of various types. My experience is that they are a really decent and reliable outfit. Odd times when I have had problems, they have gone out of their way to help and have, generally, made no charge.
A good source of information on second hand boats for sea fishing is the Donegal published Marine Times. They have a huge variety of fishing boats for sale each month. From small day anglers and punts right up to mighty trawlers. I find this newspaper a good read and a fine information source.
Needless to say I have no commerical interest in either of the above commercial ventures.

Peter

Fishing boats

Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:11 am

Pete
I own a Seahog Samurai with a 60HP engine, she shares near enough the same hull as a Warrior 165. I tow her to a number of different slips around the Dublin/Wicklow/Wexford area's and fish up to a few miles off shore. A good place to see a lot of different boats in this catg. is at a club's open competition where you might have up to 20 boats taking place. The lads in the boats would only be too happy to give you a run down on the handling of their own boat. These normally range from Warrior's to Seaghogs to Orkney's and more.
What part of the country are you in and I'll see if I can get a date for an upcoming event which might help you choose.
Damien

Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:55 am

Pete,

Have a look at Luke Scullys site he gives a pretty good run down on different types guide price etc:

http://www.geocities.com/thedirtyfecker ... tboat.html

Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:53 pm

Pete,
Have a look at this site , some very good boats on here -

www.findafishingboat.co.uk

Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:52 pm

Nice one lads, thanks for the advice. Going to check out some of those sources.

Pete

Boats

Thu Aug 19, 2004 1:35 pm

Too big a subject to cover in a simple paragraph. Depends on so many variables exactly which boat would be right for you. What part of the country are you living? Would you plan to tow or moor? Price bracket, storage space etc. All these things are important. Give me more info, I will try steer you in the right direction :wink:

buying a boat

Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:17 pm

you could do worse than an aran 16 its just like an orkney longliner but about 18in wider so its a hell of a lot more stable also its catagory2 rated which means it can withstand waves upto 2 metres high :shock:

Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:36 pm

I fish on my friends Redbay 19, Which I have found to be a nice Sturdy fishing platform, with very good Sea Keeping abilitys..... its got a 75 on the back, so its a 'Farkin Rocket'.