canary islands

Post reports and questions about fishing abroad here...

Moderators: Tanglerat, MAC, pete

canary islands

Postby jfp680 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:51 pm

Hi all, I'm heading to the canaries soon and was thinking of getting a days fishing in , when in Rome and all that........ Has any one got some advice on skippers etc ????????/ Cheers
jfp680

Re: canary islands

Postby johnstroud » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:31 pm

jfp680 wrote:Hi all, I'm heading to the canaries soon and was thinking of getting a days fishing in , when in Rome and all that........ Has any one got some advice on skippers etc ????????/ Cheers

which island are you going to ? loads of boats go out of porto rico on gran canaria . great chance of hammer head shark ,,,,,
johnstroud
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby jfp680 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:59 am

Hi , I'm heading to Gran Canaria , hoping to try for a marlin. Have you fished there before ?
jfp680

Postby johnstroud » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:45 pm

jfp680 wrote:Hi , I'm heading to Gran Canaria , hoping to try for a marlin. Have you fished there before ?

hi ,ya fished there a few years ago , the fishing was good got lots of different fish on the way out , but we were after shark , the trouble was when we did get a shark the skippers wanted everyone on the boat (10 of us) to have a go at playing it ,im not into that if i hook it im playing it all the way,plus the boat was full of germans ........ there are lots of boats operating out of porto rico so check out the story before booking ,,, hope you have a great time , cheers , p.s check out porto mogan just up the coast from porto rico great little fishing village ,,,,,
johnstroud
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby knightser » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:18 pm

johnstroud wrote:
jfp680 wrote:Hi , I'm heading to Gran Canaria , hoping to try for a marlin. Have you fished there before ?

hi ,ya fished there a few years ago , the fishing was good got lots of different fish on the way out , but we were after shark , the trouble was when we did get a shark the skippers wanted everyone on the boat (10 of us) to have a go at playing it ,im not into that if i hook it im playing it all the way,plus the boat was full of germans ........ there are lots of boats operating out of porto rico so check out the story before booking ,,, hope you have a great time , cheers , p.s check out porto mogan just up the coast from porto rico great little fishing village ,,,,,

HAD THE SAME CRAP MYSELF 'i went to an english tourism office and they gave me loads of info on english skippers ;had great fishing every time i went out lads really put the effort in to put you onto fish :idea:
knightser
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 99 times

Postby jfp680 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:19 pm

Cheers for that , I'll check it out before I book anything !!! 8)
jfp680

Postby barney » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Hi There,

I have fished out of puerto rico ( Gran Canaria ) many times for marlin,the usual deal is you go along with everyone else usually a party of ten and each get a rod( when trolling for marlin ) so your chances arent great ,firstly you have to get a marlin to the surface and then hope he might take your lure.............. i have been many times with many blanks

If you want to catch a marlin and you do go insist on getting a blue marlin rod not a stand up rod ( lighter gear ) or pay for two rods so you could get a tuna or dorado or white marlin aswell...

I usually do several trips during my holiday to improve my chances alternatively you could charter the boat or try to split a charter but this is expensive.....

However if you do get one you will never forget it and you would want to be in good shape..........

This is the crowd i go with they will pick you up and drop you back to your digs etc and you get a sambo and beer on board
http://www.bluemarlin3.com/index.php

If you want more details pm me.............
barney
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby sparkey+1 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:09 pm

How about Lanzarote anybody know about the shore/boat fishing there? Any links to websites
Species 2012: Flounder, Whiting, Dublin Bay Codling, Coalie, 3 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Bass, Dogfish, 5.2lb Starry Smoothhound (PB), Twaite Shad, Thornback Ray 5.8lbs (PB), LSD, Pollock, Ballan Wrasse, Cork Wing Wrasse, 43cm Flounder (PB)

Species 2013: Coalie, East Coast Codling, Smoothounds, And hopefully a back opp to get back fishing soon...
sparkey+1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 267 times

Postby CIANDOWNEY » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:39 pm

Try, whitestriker porto rico, ive been out with them about 50 times, they also caught two marlin last week, check there website and you can see the pictures www.whitestriker.com gran canaria
CIANDOWNEY
SAI Bait Ball

Postby sparkey+1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:43 pm

Cian that's fishing from grand canaries am heading to Lanzarote so thanks any way
Species 2012: Flounder, Whiting, Dublin Bay Codling, Coalie, 3 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Bass, Dogfish, 5.2lb Starry Smoothhound (PB), Twaite Shad, Thornback Ray 5.8lbs (PB), LSD, Pollock, Ballan Wrasse, Cork Wing Wrasse, 43cm Flounder (PB)

Species 2013: Coalie, East Coast Codling, Smoothounds, And hopefully a back opp to get back fishing soon...
sparkey+1
SAI Megalodon!

Postby CIANDOWNEY » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:24 pm

You never mentioned where you were going pal
CIANDOWNEY
SAI Bait Ball

Postby sparkey+1 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:53 pm

sparkey+1 wrote:How about Lanzarote anybody know about the shore/boat fishing there? Any links to websites

It was m8 anyway do you know any charters out there that are half decent.

sparkey+1
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Postcards from Afar and Holiday Snappers