san diego rock fishing

Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:19 pm

hi all just back from a holiday in the states,what a place :shock:
while i was there i had a few days in san diego, the plan was to get out on a half day charter but with so much to do the plan did'nt happen :(
so with the boat out the window i went to a local tackle shop got a rod/reel and a few bits and pieces for about 40 bucks :mrgreen:
just across from the hotel was a walkway/rocks that went on for a few mile and right beside me was a beer,bait,burgers shop happy days :lol:
so picked up some squid and beer and off i went.
first cast after a few minsi got massive bite caught me off guard and missed it :(
second cast about 20 mins in bang massive bite but this time i had him :D i thought the rod was going to snap in two iv never seen a rod bend as much and some
bad cracking noises too :roll: so shouting at the girlfriend to grab the camera,it tuck me 5 mins to get him in and to my surprise it was a stingray of about 10/15 pound :mrgreen:
after a bit of a struggle and a few pics he went back safe and sound, to be honest i think i was more afraid of him than he was of me :lol:
next cast a had a lizard fish cool little fish and a hard fighter :D thanks for the id john :wink:
after about 2 hour the girlfriend was getting board so packed up and came back over about 11pm when it was dark f**k me every cast had a fish :shock:
i had horn shark,butterfly ray,dusky smoothhound,and some sort of thornback ray and all in just 2 hour :shock:
what a place :D
more pics to come
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: san diego rock fishing

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:27 pm

few more picks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:36 pm

Nice fishys man rays are amazin.........so different to ours......shape wise? Were they eagle rays?

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:49 pm

Looks like a nice Eagle Ray there.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:54 pm

Tanglerat wrote:Looks like a nice Eagle Ray there.

Are they all eagles?

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:04 am

i had a good look on the net and as far as i know the last ray are butterfly ray, the top one was a stinger,lovely fish alright i would have loved to get a bit more fishing done but thats life :(

Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:33 pm

:mrgreen: lovley looking fish there,it must have been excellent seeing some new species from other waters.and you managed a variety of deccent fish to sweet :mrgreen:

Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Top one I reckoned as an Eagle - I can't see a stinger on it's tail. Didn't recognise the bottom one at all - weird fish, stumpy tail.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:39 pm

Tanglerat wrote:Top one I reckoned as an Eagle - I can't see a stinger on it's tail. Didn't recognise the bottom one at all - weird fish, stumpy tail.

its very hard to see from the bad pic but the stinger was were the shadow of my bottom finger is,but it was defo there it was about 2 cm long i had to put a towel over it,
the horn shark i got also had two large spikes coming out of his dorsal fins :shock: did'nt have the camera at the time so never got a pic :(hie was cool looking scrunched up head and nice light brown with small black spots,here is a goggle pic of one.

Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:18 pm

Ah Paul, going so far for a few tanned smoothound, a handfull of rays and a weird looking dogfish ... No I'm not jealous :mrgreen:
I'm moving to Dundalk the well known Irish San Diego 8)
Well done, as usual, even on holidays in an unknown place you manage to land a few cool fish :)

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:41 am

Excellent stuff 8)

I think the top one is the Cow Nosed Ray,which also has a small stinger(infact i think all Eagle Rays do)
The other ray looks like the Smooth Butterfly Ray..

Very cool looking fish :D

Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Could also be a Bull Ray, thinking about it! Did the stinger have barbs all along its edges?

Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:17 pm

Tanglerat wrote:Could also be a Bull Ray, thinking about it! Did the stinger have barbs all along its edges?

Im not too sure but the whole fish was covered in a slime :|

Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:38 pm

that great fishing paul some weird looking fish you had there now back to dublin and the east coast what a bummer

Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:17 pm

some crazy looking ray

Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:20 pm

Some cracking fish paul, fair play to ya 8) would make you want to pack up and emigrate :lol: :lol:

Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:33 pm

Nice fishing there - fair play to you - good idea hitting the rocks. The Yanks have the right idea - fishing marks with built-in beer, bait and burgers...!