Fuerteventura

Post reports and questions about fishing abroad here...

Moderators: Tanglerat, MAC, pete

Fuerteventura

Postby Stan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:21 pm

FUERTEVENTURA
The plan was to go for a chilled out holiday to Fuerteventura, with my better half, from 15th -22nd November. Flights were booked and after much research we settled on the Geranios Suites and SPA Hotel. There is nothing better than looking forward to a nice break. :D :D

So we took off on Aer Lingus EI 0772 from Dublin at 14.00. Bags and fishing gear were packed. Had a pint or 3 in airport and a bite to eat. Sure this was what life is all about.

Flight time just about 4 hours. All going well so far. You know that familiar feeling of getting on the plane, ready for take-off and then ignoring the air hostess preparing you for an emergency.

The plane took off and after about 2 hours we could hear a grinding sound from around the wing. Sure you always here this as the pilot checks the hydraulics before take-off…….yep but not in mid-air!!!! It went on and on and on and…… “hey what’s going on? “ asked the passenger in front of us. “Don’t worry sir the pilot is aware of it” was the answer. Two minutes later and we had instructions for an emergency landing in Santiago…..head between your legs and kiss your ass good bye!!! Did we pay heed to the air hostesses instructions…..you bet we did! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Anyway to cut a long story short the crew were very professional and we landed safely to a line of fire engines.

We were put up in a very nice hotel overnight and given plenty of sambos and free wine. Of course there was still the usual moaners complaining about not having a proper dinner :evil: :evil: . Eh, hello be happy to be alive !! :) :)

The following morning we took a new airplane to Fuerteventura. The pilot explained that one of the hydraulic systems had failed and the fluid had leaked onto the wheels and brakes. The main worry was that the plane would go on fire on landing ……. Jaysus Jacinta!! Anyway we made it safely to our destination. :D :D

That day and the next we were just chilling out. I talked to Aram who owns “ Gone Fishing” tackle shop and he gave me a few spots to try spinning. Apparently, the main prey would be needle fish… a bigger version of our garfish. Anyway, as usual I managed to successfully avoid catching one. :oops: :oops:

On the Friday it was time to plan to catch a stingray or an angel shark, as the websites on Fuerteventura would indicate them to be in abundance. Down to Aram to buy a travel beachcaster ( cheaper than checking one in ) and get advice on a suitable location. With is advice we hired a car and headed south. The recommended beach was quiet with just a few nudists wandering about showing off their dangling bits….. not a pretty sight!!

The sun was glowing for about 20 minutes. Then came the black clouds and finally torrential rain. Ah well, it was time for lunch. We went to a local fish restaurant….where else would I see a fish. We ordered a “mixed grill” of fish. The cook toddled out of the restaurant with a big empty plate and came back with it full of fresh fish. We had a meal fit for a king and queen and it cost very little.

When the rain stopped it was back to the beach for another 2 hours. I got one good bite but it took the sardine straight of the hooks. :oops: :oops: I was using a pennel rig and the sardine was tied to both hooks with elastic thread. Still the bait was taken? Aram explained that it was a bluefish as my trace was chaffed.

On Monday I tried some of local rocks but was actually fishing onto sand. A sardine was cast out with the beachcaster. Then using size10 hooks and prawn I set about catching small fish with the intention of using some for live bait.
Fuerte Baitfish 1.jpg
Fuerte Baitfish 1.jpg (16.55 KiB) Viewed 2599 times
The small fish was lip hooked and slid down the line of the beachcaster on a 4ft length of line. This way I had the sardine on the bottom for rays and the live bait swimming around further up the line to try and catch bonito or tuna.
Fuerte mini 1.jpg
Fuerte mini 1.jpg (20.94 KiB) Viewed 2599 times

Then it was back to catching small fish. It was a fish per cast. The prawn bait was cast out about 20 yards and then jigged up from the bottom. On the way up it was usually attacked with an immediate hook up. The fish were small but good crack on a light rod.
Angel Shark.jpg
Angel Shark.jpg (39.88 KiB) Viewed 2599 times

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed the beach caster nodding away and then lunging forward. There was no mistaking the ray like fight. The main problem was going to be how to get a good fish up onto the rocks. Suddenly, the ugliest head with a vicious set of teeth appeared out of the water. I had to grab the trace and haul the fish in on a wave up onto the rocks. Local Spanish guys came to help. They kept shouting “Muy peligroso”…..very dangerous :!: :!: . One of them had a gaff and used it to hold the fish while I removed the hooks. A couple of photos were taken and the fish was returned to swim away another day. The locals informed me that it was “ Un Angeloto” or Angel Shark and weighed about 17 kg. Happy days!!!! :D :D
Angel Shark & Me.jpg
Angel Shark & Me.jpg (28.53 KiB) Viewed 2599 times

I cast back out again and then it dawned on me that the small rod was still fishing. I wound it to find a very pretty bream and a mini-turbot on the trace.
Fuerte Bream.jpg
Fuerte Bream.jpg (31.65 KiB) Viewed 2599 times

One of the locals then showed me a pic of an 8Kg tune that he had caught the previous day. There were 3 others also caught. He then caught a needlefish.

Overall, I think that the fishing on this island is excellent and a further trip is now being planned. Apparently, the best months are September and October.

I would like to thank Aram for being so helpful. He put me on the right marks , showed me the bait and traces to use. I would certainly recommend that anybody intending to fish in Fuerteventura would be well advised to call into Gone Fishing to seek his advice.

For this message the author Stan has received thanks: 3
chuckaroo (Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:35 pm), corbyeire (Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:46 am), The Austrian (Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:50 pm)
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 277 times

Re: Fuerteventura

Postby Stan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:24 pm

More pics
Attachments
Fuerte Landscape.jpg
Fuerte Landscape.jpg (25.44 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
Mini Turbot.jpg
Mini Turbot.jpg (33.36 KiB) Viewed 2601 times

For this message the author Stan has received thanks:
The Austrian (Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:50 pm)
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby nicefish » Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:38 pm

That's some scary report Stan, If its not a bogey aircraft its a man eating Angel Shark :shock: I'M glad things worked out well for yis and had a safe holiday with a few nice fish.
The best things in life aren't things.
nicefish
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 153 times

Postby The Austrian » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:49 pm

8) brilliant report and pictures Stan, surely you must have enjoyed the trip immensely, well, the little hickup there with the plane did make it all the more of an adventure, didn't it? :P
“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
“Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today and Hope for Tomorrow.” - Albert Einstein
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Have thanks: 540 times

Postby Stan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:39 pm

The trip was great and I got over the scare on the plane. 5 pints before getting on the return flights solved all worries :wink: :wink:
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby SlackLiner » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:42 am

Well done indeed! Cracking angel shark, nice one!

Glad you had a good reception from the Aram fella, unfortunately he treated me with total disdain every time i visited for advice but everyone to their own experience.

Well done again though, cracking fish!
2012 Species: Pollock, Coalie, Flounder, Whiting, Cod, 5bd Rockling, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, Mackerel, LSD, Spurdog, Tope, Grey Gurnard, Red Gurnard, Tub Gurnard, Plaice, Dab, Bass, Cuckoo Wrasse

Member - LADSAC
SlackLiner
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby Seaniebo » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:45 am

Brilliant report Stan, really enjoyed it.

Think the flattie you got was a wide eyed flounder.

Well done on the angel shark, did it take the bottom fished bait?
I require a tremendous amount of calcium

http://www.saisac.org/
Seaniebo
Unstoppable....

Have thanks: 83 times

Postby Stan » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:08 pm

Thanks Lads

Well done indeed! Cracking angel shark, nice one!

Glad you had a good reception from the Aram fella, unfortunately he treated me with total disdain every time i visited for advice but everyone to their own experience.

Well done again though, cracking fish!

I bought quite a bit of gear in the shop. Maybe that is why I got on so well with Aram.

Brilliant report Stan, really enjoyed it.

Think the flattie you got was a wide eyed flounder.

Well done on the angel shark, did it take the bottom fished bait?

Caught it on a sardine fished on the bottom. I have a live bait swimming around on the main line also..... to be sure to be sure!!

Here is a video of fishing over there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKscU8_aYLg

I gather that like everywhere else it can be good and bad. Aram also pointed out that while the fish can be huge they are not to be caught by the bucketful. Personally, I would rather spend a week trying for one big fish than catching loads of small ones.
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby twinkle » Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:43 pm

stan what a cracker of a break. super fishing. i must admit i never fished at night in tenerife or lanzorote because of work but it seems to be the best time for the biggies :lol: :lol: .i also had an inncident flying home from tenerife the captain announced after flying for an hour a problem with a cargo door and had to return to tenerife its scarey when your up there but out of your hands had an old dear sitting next to me pull out her rosary beads that dident help calm the nerves :lol:
twinkle
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 161 times

Postby Stan » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:57 pm

twinkle wrote:stan what a cracker of a break. super fishing. i must admit i never fished at night in tenerife or lanzorote because of work but it seems to be the best time for the biggies :lol: :lol: .i also had an inncident flying home from tenerife the captain announced after flying for an hour a problem with a cargo door and had to return to tenerife its scarey when your up there but out of your hands had an old dear sitting next to me pull out her rosary beads that dident help calm the nerves :lol:

Thanks Twinkle. Work is Tenerife or Lanzarote...... seems like a day or two could be added on for fishing!!

I would much prefer a quick John Jameson to the rosary beads.

Think I will go back to Fuerteventua with some of the lads in Sept or Oct. :D :D

However, got to get ready for Guinea Bissau in March. :D :D

It's a tough life!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Davy Murdoch » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:49 pm

Seaniebo wrote:Think the flattie you got was a wide eyed flounder.

Just wot i was thinkin..
Davy Murdoch
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby Al and Jordan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:40 am

great report stan 8)
the angel shark is class looking man. somwhere between a ray and a shark.
it would put you in mind of our own monkfish.
great catch 8) 8)
Al and Jordan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 415 times

Postby Stan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:36 pm

Al& Jordan, I think it is the same as our Monkfish but Angel Shark sounds so much better!!

For this message the author Stan has received thanks:
Al and Jordan (Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:43 am)
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Postcards from Afar and Holiday Snappers