Bristol Channel

Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:05 pm

Anyone ever fish it for the cod???? Thinking of making a trip over next month.

Re: Bristol Channel

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:36 pm

The suir in Waterford just as good check out catch reports in this link

http://www.rinnasharksac.net/boat-shore ... -t1331.htm

Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:41 pm

Century Man wrote:Anyone ever fish it for the cod???? Thinking of making a trip over next month.

Fished it many times, was my closest coast when I lived in the UK.
Massive tides, very muddy and extremely dangerous at times but great fishing, I never once went in the winter and didn't catch cod and that was without any local knowledge. I beach fished at Minehead, Berrow and Severn Beach and rock fished at Battery Point and Sand Point on the English side and around Swansea on the Welsh side, usual bait was a 12" sausage of lug and squid or a couple of whole squid fished on a pennel rig. I know the peat ledges around Redwick on Welsh side can be very good too.
Take a look at http://www.bristolchannelangling.co.uk/ for local info.

I have a couple of OS maps covering from above the Severn Bridges down to Bridgewater Bay on English side which you'd be welcome to borrow if you go,

Hope this helps

Paul

Here's a couple of pics from Berrow Beach from a few years back

Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:53 pm

BASS POINT wrote:The suir in Waterford just as good check out catch reports in this link

http://www.rinnasharksac.net/boat-shore ... -t1331.htm

Nice fishy that....

Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:55 pm

shaft666 wrote:
Century Man wrote:Anyone ever fish it for the cod???? Thinking of making a trip over next month.

Massive tides, very muddy and extremely dangerous at times but great fishing, I never once went in the winter and didn't catch cod and that was without any local knowledge. I beach fished at Minehead, Berrow and Severn Beach and rock fished at Battery Point and Sand Point on the English side and around Swansea on the Welsh side, usual bait was a 12" sausage of lug and squid or a couple of whole squid fished on a pennel rig. I know the peat ledges around Redwick on Welsh side can be very good too.

I have a couple of OS maps covering from above the Severn Bridges down to Bridgewater Bay on English side which you'd be welcome to borrow if you go,

Hope this helps

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that info.....Some cracking fish there to by the look of it. Heard it can be pretty dangerous alright. Could you recommend any particular marks that would fish well in Daylight and are pretty safe to fish? Deffo wont be doing any night sessions if we go.

Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:35 pm

Any of the beaches are safe as long as you stay on the sand, Berrow (and most of the beaches in the area, weston, burnham, brean )is a very shallow beach with a slope you can barely see and when the tides out the sea's about a mile away, don't get tempted to try and walk out at low water as the sand changes to thick mud which slopes up away from you so when the tide comes in it go's from being a mile away to around your feet in seconds. I'll never forget the noise as the tide breaks over the mud flats and rushes in, it ROARS!
The big drawback with these beaches is you'll only get a couple of hours fishing as the tide reaches it's peak and you're constantly moving back up the beach as the water comes in (never found it much good after the tide turned), better to find a deeper water mark if you want longer sessions. We always did well at Layde Point just North of Clevedon, its an easy enough climb down the rocks and a reasonable chuck puts you onto sand. Battery point is another good deep water mark fishing off rocks with easy access but the tide does rip around it.
Day fishing is good as the water is so coloured you can't see a mm into it!
I'd ask on the bristol channel site for more specific info, there were a couple of very helpful tackle shops in Portishead and Clevedon that always had fresh lug available but I am talking 5 years ago since I was last there so not sure what shops are still open.

Paul

Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:29 pm

Thanks a million for that info Paul....great stuff indeed....Had a look at the marks on the site you suggested....That Layde Point looks like a cracking spot......

Thanks again.

Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:18 pm

shaft666 wrote:

Hope this helps

Paul

I lived in Cardiff for a good few years, those ledges at Redwick can be lethal to someone without local information. There is an excellent mark at St.Brides but it needs tides of 13m + (taken from Newport) Cardiff foreshore can produce but there is some problem with access through port authority property. the Ranny,Laveronock, st.Mary's well bay and Sully Island are all good producers but need a bit of local knowledge.
Peeler crab tends to kill, even if it is just used to tip the big lug/squid cocktails
If you are serious about going i know a few lads over there who would let you tag along on a few sessions.
i hope to get back there myself but won't have time until the first week in February so I hope there are still some fish around.
Last time I went over it was for smooth hound and they had the worst weather of the year, totally unfishable for the week!!!

Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:25 pm

Thanks a million for all the info guys...very helpful.....and to be honest I dont think I would feel safe fishing it without "local" knowledge.......Was planning on going over next month but will have to wait and see first....Thanks again.