fishing abroad where and what do i need ?

Tue May 04, 2010 8:22 pm

Hi all. just a quick question. :) .I'm i mean we {her good self} are thinking of holiday places to go for a week abroad {eg Portugal,Spain ,Greece} and the most important question is what place would be good for fishing {eg spinning and float fishing from beaches and rocks}.because my beach gear would need another plain to bring it all. :lol: what species would i get away? and is it the same gear as over here. any help much welcome. thanks lads and ladies. :mrgreen: :?:

Re: fishing abroad where and what do i need ?

Wed May 05, 2010 1:12 am

if you have a spinning rod that will cast up to 2oz you should be ok for all types of fishing, the fish species will vary depending on where you go, but tactics should be the same regardless,
size 8 - 1/0 hook should see you right for nearly all species.
just be sure where ever you go that fishing is available in the area as fishing is not permitted on the inside of harbour walls and some beaches (especially in Spanish regions)

Wed May 05, 2010 8:41 pm

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bulletin%20board/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=22164

This is a report from my holiday in lanzarote, I went to costa teguise, great man made stone piers/jetties that you can fish from. Was a peaceful resort with excellent fishing and water sports. I would suggest a light rod for maximum sport as most fish will be small with the odd decent one thrown in. Most of the local fish on the float but you can pick up many different species on the bottom. Infact I met an English couple that had moved over there to live and fish at least 3 or 4 times a week and they had great success for the bream on a bubble float with about a 2-3ft hook length. Some big mullet around the rocks but you will have to be stealthy for those boys. :mrgreen: You may stand a chance of garfish on the toby but hit and miss.

If you do want to go for the bigger stuff, there is a chance of cudda and stingray at 1st light and dusk, I never targeted them. I was snapped off twice by what I believe to be a moray eel. I am going to Tenerife in June I will be bringing a light weight spin rod loaded with 20lb braid.

As Steve said bring mini hooks as well you will get hit by tiny ornate wrasse, but definitely worth catching.

Any more info don't hesitate to ask mate.

Jonny

Wed May 05, 2010 9:51 pm

Thanks lads thats a great help. i just got a telescopic rod shakespeare , hybrid spin rod{odyssey} 8 foot. so that should do the trick. i think i have all the other bits but one think lads what bait do i use? thanks again for the help.

Wed May 05, 2010 10:00 pm

Determined Dan wrote:all the other bits but one think lads what bait do i use? thanks again for the help.

look in a local supermarket and get some frozen prawns / squid and bread that will keep you sorted and dont be afraid to to use some of the fish you catch as bait some of them are good bait :wink:

Wed May 05, 2010 10:35 pm

good man john1 good thinking. ill do that cheers. :)

Fri May 07, 2010 4:43 pm

take a few lures with you,i was in lanzarote last year playa blanca great fishing,use bread for mullet
buy small bottles of tiny shrimp from shops good on a bubble float
caught something called a lizard fish scary

Fri May 07, 2010 6:13 pm

stevem wrote:caught something called a lizard fish scary

iv had a few of them lads down that way aswell fishing from the farionies pier in porto del carmen great for mullet bream various wresse and small flats like turbot at distance :wink: :lol: