Lanzarote Fishing Tactics

Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:03 pm

Guys, I'm off to Costa Teguise in a few weeks with the gf, telescopic rod will of course be packed in the case. Was there last year but didn't get a chance to fish at all. Looking for a bit of advice regarding tackle and baits or time of day / state of tide to chuck a line in.

Any suggestions or experiences would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Re: Lanzarote Fishing Tactics

Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:39 am

its very hit and miss, plenty of mullet around marina harbours etc, tried charter boats they are geared up tourists not anglers. bread or worms seem to be what the locals use for baits with tiny hooks.
choco

Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:25 pm

Thanks man. I'll stick to the shore fishing whilst out there, probably in the mornings and evenings as I hear this is a good time. Yea there was plenty of mullet about last year, usual tactics apply I assume? Are they thick lipped mullet? I am bringing a very light spin rod, however is this wise, as I heard there is a chance of cuda and the odd ray?

Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:01 am

you should have great sport with the light rod.
seen them fishing for sting ray on tenerife heavy duty stuff 100lb fish huge.

lanzarotte you will get all sorts fishing off rocks and harbours if your allowed.
float fishing and bottom fishing you will get gg mullet various types of bream types of wrasse and some weird looking stuff like lizard fish full of teeth :shock: go to local supermarkets and get frozen prawns use these in small sections bring fine elastic to bind onto hooks and also use some strips of squid for the bream. there is also some weird looking flats to be had at distance one fish to watch out for is weavers the place is alive with them you have been warned :wink:
last time i was there i smuggled 50 rag with me but it didnt work :evil: prawn squid and bread is all you need for a bit of fun.

tight lines.

Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:05 pm

I went on a charter there a few weeks ago. Not in quite in sport fish season, so we bottom fished with squid, and I got a few sea bream. Hope this helps!

Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:06 pm

I was there for a week last year and did some fishing on various marks along the coast. You are not allowed to fish in the harbours, there are big mullet there and ray. I tried to sneak in a few casts in one of the harbours, just had the mullet start to feed on my bread when I was chased off by a security man :twisted: :twisted:

The problem fishing off rock marks along the coast was swarms of tiny fish that devour your bait. In the end I had to resort to getting some size 8 and 10 hooks and had a bit of sport catching them (ornate wrasse, damsel fish, derbio). I did manage a few bigger fish - an eagle ray off a pier after dark, a moray eel out of a deep crevasse along the rocks (using a wire trace) and a zebra bream.

I was using squid strips and prawns. The locals use small crabs that apparently they buy in jars but I couldn't find a proper tackle shop when I was there - the ones I was recommended had shut down.

I didn't hear anything good about the charters - from what I heard they stay close to the shore and don't venture out to where the big fish are. A few people I met that had taken charters were very disappointed.

see the following post:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17914&hilit=+Lanzarote

Have fun :P :P

Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:25 am

lived in tenerife for 2 yrs done a lot of fishing there also snorkling but the amount of marine life around lanzorote is huge
in comparison. charters are hit and miss best you can hope for is a box of mackerel, i brought a beachcaster and small spinning rod baited the beach caster with f 6resh mack all bought at fish shop at the harbour i fished of the rocks ur not allowed near the harbour its like atropical fish tank used 6/0 single hook left the beachcaster down started spinning
tried every lure i had in the box no takes .all the locals float fishing i put on 1/0 hook small piece of prawn had a fish every cast attacked from all sides locals over with there buckets give to me please.after 2 hrs hot and in need of a beer srarted
o pack up. the beach caster went slack i struck i knew i had a biggie started darting rod was well bent kept reeling got it in near the rocks and lifted i was going to cut the line it was about 8lb green and gold body not unlike a bass but the mouth was like a snake a hinged jaw mouth full of needles locals shouting venom venom put a jigger tru the gills and went 2 the fish shop he told me it was a spieder fish not normally caught off the beach but deepsea. so be careful with what u catch
enjoy twinkle

Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:50 pm

twinkle wrote:...it was about 8lb green and gold body not unlike a Bass but the mouth was like a snake a hinged jaw mouth full of needles locals shouting venom...

sounds interesting, maybe this page helps you to identify what it was?
http://www.starfish.ch/Fotos.html

Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:23 pm

the local fishmonger who was english told me it was a spider fish there very poisoness the reason i said it looked like a bass
it had a spiked dorsal fin and also around the gills if that dident put u off holding it the rows of needles in its mouth would
super fighter.the reaction of the locals was brill kept shouting not to touch it gator gator and venom

Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:08 pm

Thanks for all the help guys, reading this is definitely making me excited about heading away. Can't believe I over looked your report Rock Hunter that would have interested me at the time having only just returned from there. You had a hell of a time by the looks of it, looking at your pics did you use a snap swivel and attach the required hook size through that to make life a bit easier whilst out there?

Seen lots of the ornate wrasse being taken last time by a few anglers the place was plagued with them. So looks like it would be sensible to take a selection of small hooks as well as large to cover the mini/tropical species. The 10' telescopic I'll be taking is VERY light so I will have some craic trying to haul in one of those eagle rays if I connect with one :mrgreen:

Can the squid be purchased at the local supermarket or what have you?

Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:21 pm

most of the larger supermarkets have frozen squid and prawns very cheap aswell.

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:17 am

Dawsey wrote:looking at your pics did you use a snap swivel and attach the required hook size through that to make life a bit easier whilst out there?

A lot of the fish there have sharp teeth so I was using a fine wire trace and just slipped the hook on the swivel - quite handy, and easy enough to change hook sizes, although usually when I put on a bigger hook the little ornate wrasse and damsel fish would just pull the bait around.

As John1 said all the supermarkets stock frozen squid, prawns and mussels - amazingly cheap compared to Ireland.

Thu May 07, 2009 12:24 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. I shall try all the different tactics mentioned and shall report back in a couple of weeks with hopefully a few new species under my belt :wink: