Florida

Post reports and questions about fishing abroad here...

Moderators: Tanglerat, MAC, pete

Florida

Postby Viper » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:45 pm

Ok guys, after a year of talking about it thinking about it and reading about it, it's finally happened...
2 weeks in Florida Keys.

Dates are from 18th to 31st March (unfortunately had to give up the 17th to go to the NY Paddys Day Parade).

So what I need now is advice, recommendations and past experiences from all the experienced heads on this site!
Main Targets for me is Dolphin, Tuna and Tarpon.

Location is to be deicided, but it will probably involve a road trip from Orlando to the Keys.

I reckon I'll get 4 days of proper charters in, maybe a day or two of party boats to get the girlfriend into the fishing as well, and hopefully a few days to myself as well either from the shore or renting a boat. I've spoken to a few charters out there and they seem very accomodating and helpful, however I'd like to hear it from the other side of the cash transaction to be sure I'm getting the most from my dosh.
Also if people have other non-angling recommendations it would be much appreciated as well!
Viper
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 6 times

Re: Florida

Postby Tanglerat » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:43 pm

Have a word with the dirty fecker. He reckons he had a fintastic (see what I did there? :wink: ) time in Florida, he's sure to have a few pointers for you.
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby Davy Murdoch » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:45 pm

Tanglerat wrote: fintastic (see what I did there? :wink: ) time

oh dear :roll: :lol:
Davy Murdoch
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby stevecrow74 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:33 pm

Viper wrote:Main Targets for me is Dolphin, Tuna and Tarpon.

i presume you mean dolphin fish... aka dorado or mahi-mahi

i've seen a program where they were fly fishing for tarpon at night.. looks mad
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby stevecrow74 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:28 am

[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby dan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:24 pm

never fished in florida b4 but i recon you would get good tarpon on plugs and possibly striped bass. i believe it is good, so i've been told.
Lure caught Fish 2014- Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Poor Cod, Dab, Cod, Whiting, Flounder, Plaice, Bass, SeaTrout, Grey Gurnard, Scad, SandSmelt, Red Gurnard, Launce, Lesser Sandeel, Rock Goby, Black Goby, Shanny, Mackerel, Herring, Dragonet, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, GoldSinney Wrasse, Lesser Weaver, Butterfish, Perch, Pike

Fly Caught Fish 2014- Pollack, Coalie, Whiting, Mackerel, Sea Trout, Brown Trout, Perch, Roach

Biggest Fish of 2014-15lb Conger Eel

Total Species 2014-39 Sea
9 FW
dan
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Viper » Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:46 pm

Thanks for all the info so far, keep it coming!

There's a lot of variety of species there alright from what I've seen, suppose it's more to do with making the most of the availale fishing for the given season. It seems a little early for the big Tarpon however small ones are more then adequete for me! (Has anyone seen that episode of 'The Accidental Angler' in Cube fishing for baby tarpon?). Sailfish are in high season in March as well, also forgot to mention bonefish on the fly, another big ambition. Suppose the big problem for me at the moment is the size of the place and the number of options available.
Viper
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby dan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:06 pm

try for some shark species they'd be fun i'd say.
Lure caught Fish 2014- Pollack, Coalie, Pouting, Poor Cod, Dab, Cod, Whiting, Flounder, Plaice, Bass, SeaTrout, Grey Gurnard, Scad, SandSmelt, Red Gurnard, Launce, Lesser Sandeel, Rock Goby, Black Goby, Shanny, Mackerel, Herring, Dragonet, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse, GoldSinney Wrasse, Lesser Weaver, Butterfish, Perch, Pike

Fly Caught Fish 2014- Pollack, Coalie, Whiting, Mackerel, Sea Trout, Brown Trout, Perch, Roach

9 FW
dan
SAI Megalodon!

Postby immunecfg » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:04 pm

If you can get out to the Florida keys i would def give the Bone fish a try, between the tarpon and bone fish they are 2 very hard fighting fish!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Species 2011: Bass (FINALLY), Mullet, Flounder, Mackeral, Pollock, Coal fish.

-----------------------------------------------
immunecfg
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby dan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:51 pm

would believe that :!: :!: :!: :!:

9 FW
dan
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Postcards from Afar and Holiday Snappers