Cork by laws

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Cork by laws

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:32 pm

Got asked to leave a beach today, got told I was fishing illegally due to a by law, no sign post around, no law quoted and I found a 15 page document online but no mention of it's illegal to fish this beach or any beach.

Any idea lad's?
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Re: Cork by laws

Postby Gonzo » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:07 pm

Who asked you to leave? just some randomer?
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:21 pm

Life guard

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Postby jd » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:08 am

Where?
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 526 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:48 am

I call it garretstown town big beach but I think its actually garrylucas. Plenty walking around it we set up tight to the water line, had a martial arts group training 100ft to the left and a swimmer 600ft to the left.

I'm guessing the blue flag beaches can only be fished in the depths of winter or in heavy rain :)
Last edited by Go Big or Go Home on Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Gonzo » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:54 am

A lifeguard has no business telling people to leave, they are there to save people from drowning and that's it. If it was me I would have ignored them unless they could show me the by-law or if the gardai asked me to leave.
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:16 am

Gonzo wrote:A lifeguard has no business telling people to leave, they are there to save people from drowning and that's it. If it was me I would have ignored them unless they could show me the by-law or if the gardai asked me to leave.

Would agree but was out for an enjoyable day not an debate I knew nothing about. First I ever heard of it but it may yet be true.

Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Postby Theking » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:45 am

I had friends on the beach recently that the lifeguard tried to move as well ( they were not fishing ) he said he needed them in a different part of the beach . They refused as they are going there years and they were left alone .
There has been people fishing on that beach for the last few weeks .
Theking
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby MartinC » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:28 am

Fished it last week .. day and night,, no issues.. wasn't too busy and didn't see any lifeguards.. the upper beach had a lifeguard on duty and was much busier though.. so didn't bother there.. I'd probably have left too just to avoid any conflict and ruin a days fishing but it would be interesting to know the story on the by-law ,
MartinC
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 97 times

Postby Theking » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:18 am

had you any luck last week
Theking
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:33 pm

MartinC wrote:Fished it last week .. day and night,, no issues.. wasn't too busy and didn't see any lifeguards.. the upper beach had a lifeguard on duty and was much busier though.. so didn't bother there.. I'd probably have left too just to avoid any conflict and ruin a days fishing but it would be interesting to know the story on the by-law ,

This is what I found:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 12bf9eRdSC

Regardless of what the entire document says page 3 part 7(a) states you can not disobey a council employed life guard. Another reason to buy a boat :)

For this message the author Go Big or Go Home has received thanks:
Gonzo (Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:51 pm)
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Postby cd07 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:24 pm

I still would have told him to f off! If there was no swimmers near you of course
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:27 pm

cd07 wrote:I still would have told him to f off! If there was no swimmers near you of course

It would be poor judgement to fish where people swim and even poorer to swim where people fish given theres a kilometre of beach.

For this message the author Go Big or Go Home has received thanks:
Gonzo (Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:51 pm)
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Postby MartinC » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:04 pm

No mention of fishing prohibited.. but if the lifeguard decides to be a dick and tell you you have to go then you have to,, going by the by-law.. got a nice bass from there any way..
MartinC
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 97 times

Postby cd07 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:29 pm

Unless a sign said fishing prohibited i would fish away as long as no bathers were close. At the end of the day the coastline belongs to all citizens and common sense is law as i see it. I fished strandhill the other day up the North end ,had the beach to myself until a family basically just set up an hour after I got there and went swimming. I packed up and went. Some people are just rude and thats life as annoying as it is
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby corbyeire » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:43 pm

Some stretches of coast line do have county bye laws prohibiting fishing - if it was one of these stretches, a council employee could tell you to stop fishing
think there was one for kiliney and the 40 foot - there was one in cork specifically mentioning leads in casting - the diving board area in blackrock, salthill, galway has the bye law, i know for certain.
County councils continuously bring these bans up and they need to be fought - as they want it to stop anti social behavior - littering, drinking etc. - of people who happen to be angling (i use the term loosely)
Angling is not the problem - its idiots behaviour
Or before you know it - whole swathes of the country will be blocked off
stay vigilant - ask that lifeguard whats the bye law number, wheres the signage, where is the area covered

I was asked to stop once on inis oir on the beach, by the lifeguard - he couldnt tell me the bye-law - it was empty in any case
i kept angling - following day rang up the lifeguards and was told the only place a lifeguard could stop me was at the diving board in salthill
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions