ISFC Specimen Fish Report 2019

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

ISFC Specimen Fish Report 2019

Postby Teegerstk » Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:09 pm

http://irish-trophy-fish.com/wp-content ... 9_LR31.pdf

Recognized a few names! These always make me jealous :lol:
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab

For this message the author Teegerstk has received thanks:
chuckaroo (Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:18 pm)
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Re: ISFC Specimen Fish Report 2019

Postby keymcg » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:31 am

I think a lot of it is about getting into the habit of recording fish when caught.
I know that a few of the specimens were caught in Donegal Bay during the Findlater and Master angler competitions.
The Leinster and Munster lads are used to claiming specimens and had pictures taken length recorded etc.
The locals catch similar and just put them back.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
keymcg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby partylikeits1969 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:42 am

It's interesting that cork seems to hold the most diverse range of specimens but doesn't see many of the shark and ray species..
Any reason for this?
Fishes live in the sea, as men do a-land; the great ones eat up the little ones.
William Shakespeare....ish
partylikeits1969
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 7 times

Postby JimC » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:00 pm

partylikeits1969 wrote:It's interesting that cork seems to hold the most diverse range of specimens but doesn't see many of the shark and ray species..
Any reason for this?

We don't have smoothound, tope and spurdogs in any great numbers down this way. As you say, we do have a greater variety than the East coast though.
The specimen report shows how damaging commercial fishing has been over the years. You'll notice the lack of Ling, Pollack, Cod, Coalies, the wreck dwellers basically are a hard catch now; even the red gurnards, plaice and dabs are scarce. Fish that are give some protection are doing well.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby alby » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:24 pm

JimC wrote:You'll notice the lack of Ling, Pollack, Cod, Coalies, the wreck dwellers basically are a hard catch now; even the red gurnards, plaice and dabs are scarce.

We're seeing a secondary problem up here Jim, dogfish are being heavily exploited for use as pot bait, where they were once a mainstay are now thin on the ground in general terms. Especially for the shore angler.

I’ve heard of areas over the south west as well where ballan wrasse have been trapped & moved for use in salmon cages for the control of lice etc.

Flounder numbers are way down (East coast) the past two years as well which would be a concern.

For this message the author alby has received thanks:
corbyeire (Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:08 pm)
alby
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 215 times

Postby JimC » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:38 pm

alby wrote:
JimC wrote:You'll notice the lack of Ling, Pollack, Cod, Coalies, the wreck dwellers basically are a hard catch now; even the red gurnards, plaice and dabs are scarce.

We're seeing a secondary problem up here Jim, dogfish are being heavily exploited for use as pot bait, where they were once a mainstay are now thin on the ground in general terms. Especially for the shore angler.

I’ve heard of areas over the south west as well where ballan wrasse have been trapped & moved for use in salmon cages for the control of lice etc.

Flounder numbers are way down (East coast) the past two years as well which would be a concern.

Doggies Alby? There's nothing safe anymore. :roll:
Wrasse have suffered on my patch due to potters keeping them for bait. Where once thy used salted mackerel they are now using all sorts.
I haven't been able to confirm any wrasse being kept for the salmon farms down this way. Yet.

It's no surprise that the IFSC has had to dumb down many species in recent years.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby gearoid mc s. » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:11 pm

JimC wrote:
alby wrote:

Doggies Alby? There's nothing safe anymore. :roll:
Wrasse have suffered on my patch due to potters keeping them for bait. Where once thy used salted mackerel they are now using all sorts.
I haven't been able to confirm any wrasse being kept for the salmon farms down this way. Yet.

It's no surprise that the IFSC has had to dumb down many species in recent years.

Some of the weights are still off. In a decade of fishing the Shannon I have heard of one Thornback at the 16lb mark. Anything over 12lb would be a specimen from my experience.
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 73 times

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:32 pm

Skate off union all are doing well, shows how rewarding C&R is.

Do all ling blow kn the retrive?
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby corbyeire » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:10 pm

alby wrote:

yea heard about the doggies and pot bait and worrying the wrasse for the cages - over in england on the south coast they have been all raided for the cages up north

same as with the flounders - fishing gone to hell the last 2-3 years - sizes and numbers way down
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions