2015 SPECIMEN BOOK

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

2015 SPECIMEN BOOK

Postby donal domeney » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:46 pm

A good read while the fishing is slack
http://irish-trophy-fish.com/wp-content ... t-2015.pdf
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Re: 2015 SPECIMEN BOOK

Postby rushnaldo » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:05 pm

... it's becoming out dated. I'd rather get a mission accomplished badge from sea angler than pay 50 euro to calibrate a scales to claim specimens or even worse kill the fish to claim it. ...

Have to agree. Never understood the attraction of it, nor she dangler badges either, sorry! That said LBS is a great innovation and should be offered for ALL species. To be fair, the fixation all the continental anglers here were so keen on getting a 1 metre long pike (given there can be ten kilos in the difference depending on their condition) always puzzled me, but it's easy, it gets the non-edible unprotected fish back alive and quickly, and it promotes catch and release.

IFSC should move on and offer LBS for all species. PS anyone wants a specimen wrasse, they're two a penny on one shore mark in Belmullet from July onwards! :D

For this message the author rushnaldo has received thanks: 2
kieran (Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:24 pm), MC (Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:16 pm)
rushnaldo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 109 times

Postby keymcg » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:50 pm

Having looked through it quickly, most of the claims are from the south and east coasts. Very few from around this end of the country (north west). I think I saw 2 altogether, both wrasse. I doubt there is much difference in the quality of fishing here, maybe it's down to a difference in attitude of the anglers?

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk
keymcg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby donal domeney » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:08 am

rushnaldo wrote:Only one homelyn ray claimed, I put at least 5 back last year on Donegal Bay.

All my specimen fish I got last year went back alive. I have my own certified scales which helps. Getting it done in Cork for €30 viewtopic.php?f=12&t=43369 . There is probably some company up your way that can do them.
The Spotted ray was put into the well in the boat, a ten minute dash to the slip at Lower Aghada to weigh, measured and photo and it was back in deep water. Swam off after a few seconds. The Bluemouth are a hardy fish he survived the run back from the 10 mile bank. Weighed, measure and a photo and off he went at the pier in Knightstown. The Painted was caught during a South Shore comp in Kerry and all the formalities were done before I cast out again.
I had a Painted ray during the Cork Small Boats at 63cm wingspan and close to 13lb. It was put back rather than kill it.

At least the ISFC adding more species onto the measurement system. Great to see the Undulated ray back again on the list. A year too late for me :(
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby corbyeire » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:44 am

keymcg wrote:Having looked through it quickly, most of the claims are from the south and east coasts. Very few from around this end of the country (north west). I think I saw 2 altogether, both wrasse. I doubt there is much difference in the quality of fishing here, maybe it's down to a difference in attitude of the anglers?

Kev its down to pure numbers - far more anglers in the south and east coasts
even the anglers from the west and north travel down to target the larger and more varied species available from the shore on the other coast
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby corbyeire » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:48 am

rushnaldo wrote:A good read and always interesting. In my opinion it's becoming out dated. I'd rather get a mission accomplished badge from sea angler than pay 50 euro to calibrate a scales to claim specimens or even worse kill the fish to claim it. Only one homelyn ray claimed, I put at least 5 back last year on Donegal Bay. Lots of specimen pollack were got on the charter boats but their mostly eastern European clients just keep them to eat. Not a true reflection but an interesting read non the less. Fresh water claims seem to be away down I suspect anglers fear poachers on their venues

IFSA has a species hunt on a length basis - patches for exceeding 30 species number - gold pins for breaking length specimens sizes etc.
https://www.facebook.com/seaanglingIFSA/?ref=hl
corbyeire
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 680 times

Postby keymcg » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:03 pm

corbyeire wrote:
keymcg wrote:Having looked through it quickly, most of the claims are from the south and east coasts. Very few from around this end of the country (north west). I think I saw 2 altogether, both wrasse. I doubt there is much difference in the quality of fishing here, maybe it's down to a difference in attitude of the anglers?

Kev its down to pure numbers - far more anglers in the south and east coasts
even the anglers from the west and north travel down to target the larger and more varied species available from the shore on the other coast

I never thought of the population factor at all. Makes perfect sense.
I am going to make an attempt to get in it this year. It will have to be a length based entry because I don't want to kill anything for no good reason.
Unless I fluke a monster mackerel

keymcg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 86 times

Postby JimC » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:44 pm

Indeed the Report always makes interesting reading.
It is amazing the amount of anglers that still do not understand the rules and methods of the IFSC. You would rarely see specimen fish killed nowadays other than edibles or fish that "did not make it". I did't have any specimens last year but the year before I released a bass and kept a pollack. Shore anglers have little excuse as the fish is weighed on land. Boat anglers sometimes have choices to make although the more length-based fish is welcome.

The IFSC make no excuses for their exacting standards. They have always had plenty rules and those rules have to be followed to the letter.

It is amazing how scarce specimens are when they are easier to claim :) Look at blue shark - +100lb fish were all over the place, you would think....

When you claim a specimen you have the rights that go with the cert and the pin. If you don't claim (and that is your choice) you really have just another big fish story.

More that five "specimen sized" spotted rays? A great haul! ... you could only get three certs in the year but you could still claim and get credit for the biggest fish. I deffo would have my scales certified. it would make for great reading... Legendary even!

Here's Kevin Murphy's Blue shark:
http://youtu.be/woZzMffczQI
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby johnwest » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:49 pm

Thanks for posting Donal. One thing that struck me fairly quickly was that there were a lot of reports and comments on SAI during 2015 bemoaning the lack/absence of grey mullet and smoothound, yet look at the number of specimens! Almost two and a half pages of each.
2013 species; 31

2014 species; 27

2015 species; 28

2016 species; 32

2017 species;28

2018 species; 33

2019 species; ballan wrasse,blonde ray, coalfish, cod, cuckoo wrasse, dab, dogfish, flounder, goldsinny wrasse, ling, mackerel, plaice, pollack, poorcod, pouting, scad, sea scorpion, spotty ray, spurdog, thornback, tub gurnard, turbot, whiting.
johnwest
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 1299 times

Postby FisherKing » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:28 pm

Does anyone know of any place in the north west that certifies scales
Cheers Brian
Species 2017: Flounder, Turbot, Coalfish,
FisherKing
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions