National Strategy for Angling Development - Published

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

National Strategy for Angling Development - Published

Postby JimC » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:56 am

Ok! This is the document produced by IFI after a public consultation earlier in the year: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=47369
Now they are looking for submissions/observations based on the document - to be submitted before Jan 4 2016.

As you would nearly expect in a document such as this it is highly aspirational but vague in terms of application!
I suppose the good thing is that Sea is not being totally ignored (Again the application will tell a lot)

There were a good few submissions to the consultation : http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/nadp-submissions
Conspicuous by their absence are the Sea Angling "organisations" - Eg: IFSA, EFSA.

Posters from here that I know of (Anybody I have missed out let me know):
Ashley Hayden - http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/nsad/nad ... hey-hayden
Gary Robinson - http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/nsad/nad ... y-robinson
Jim Clohessy - http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/nsad/nad ... m-clohessy
I don't know Jim Murray but he recognises the value of mullet - : http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/nsad/nad ... jim-murray

This is the associated press release:

Monday, 30th November 2015

Inland Fisheries Ireland launches public consultation on National Strategy for Angling Development

Joe McHugh TD, Minister with responsibility for Natural Resources, has today (30.11.15), launched the public consultation on the National Strategy for Angling Development (NSAD).

The NSAD, prepared by Inland Fisheries Ireland (IFI), is the first comprehensive national framework for the development of our angling resource. It is intended that the strategy will deliver a wide-ranging set of investments, innovations and promotions over the coming years. This will ensure that our fish stocks and angling infrastructure are protected and enhanced for both their economic value and their recreational benefit to the communities and visitors they serve across Ireland.

Announcing the consultation, Minister McHugh said: “This Strategy is necessary and timely to protect our wonderful inland fisheries and sea angling resources in their own right but also to safeguard and grow further the 11,350 jobs supported and €836 million contributed annually to Ireland’s economy by recreational angling.

“These jobs and economic activity occur primarily in rural and peripheral areas of the country. The strategy supports the Government’s rural development, tourism and social inclusion objectives, and I urge all stakeholders to participate in the consultation process.”

Dr Ciaran Byrne, CEO of Inland Fisheries Ireland, thanked all those who took part in the initial consultation process and noted: “The inputs from stakeholders have been invaluable to Inland Fisheries Ireland in the preparation of the National Strategy for Angling Development. We look forward to working with all of our stakeholders in progressing the strategy.”

In accordance with Article 13(1)(b) of the European Communities (Environmental Assessment of Certain Plans and Programmes) Regulations 2004 (S.I. 435), as amended by the European Communities (Environmental Assessment of Certain Plans and Programmes)(Amendment) Regulations 2011, Inland Fisheries Ireland has prepared:

• A Strategic Environmental Assessment (SEA) Environmental Screening Report of the likely significant effects on the environment of implementing the Strategy, in accordance with Directive 2001/42/EC of the European Parliament and Council of 27 June 2001 on the assessment of the effects of certain plans and programmes on the environment as transposed into Irish law by the European Communities (Environmental Assessment of Certain Plans and Programmes) Regulations 2004 as amended; and
• A Habitats Directive Screening Statement for Appropriate Assessment (AA), pursuant to Article 6 of Council Directive 92/43/EEC of 21 May 1992 on the conservation of natural habitats and of wild fauna and flora as transposed into Irish law by the European Communities (Birds and Natural Habitats) Regulations 2011.

The National Strategy for Angling Development, screening reports and supporting documents are available for viewing and download from http://www.fisheriesireland.ie/NSAD; at IFI, 3044 Lake Drive, Citywest Business Campus, Dublin 24, D24 Y265; or at IFI offices countrywide; please see http://www.fisheriesireland.ie for addresses and maps.

Written submissions or observations should be sent to NSAD.consultation@fisheriesireland.ie or NSAD Consultation, 3044 Lake Drive, Citywest Business Campus, Dublin 24, D24 Y265 and must be received no later than Monday, 4th January 2016.
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Re: National Strategy for Angling Development - Published

Postby kieran » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:08 pm

download link not working for me off IFI website, collapses after the first MB... of 12... anyone else having this problem or is it just me?
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby JimC » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:16 pm

It might be stuttering a bit!
I right clicked and downloaded to my pc rather than viewing in a browser. Might be the better option.

For this message the author JimC has received thanks:
kieran (Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:38 pm)
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby Ashley Hayden » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi all,

I too had problems downloading the document, as Jim advised, right click on the download sign and save to your PC, the file will open then.

The document is aspirational in content and sadly given that Inland Fisheries Ireland has been an entity since July 2010 we are no further down the road to marketing and selling in a 21st century commercial sense an International standard angling product having spent over €100,000 of tax payers money on the TDI report and to add insult to injury asked stakeholders to forward submissions for the National Angling Development Plan and now want the same people to forward more.

What really galls is that the commercial solutions were available pre 2010, a fact protected IFI senior management choose to ignore.

This is procrastination at the highest level and five years on our sea fisheries angling product continues to wane. How long more must we put up with this?

Regards,

Ashley

For this message the author Ashley Hayden has received thanks: 2
beachbuddy (Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:25 am), greg (Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:04 pm)
Ashley Hayden
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 209 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions