This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Postby declea » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:20 pm

Hi all. Im a newbie to the site. Ive been shore and boat fishing from a young age around the cork area with most of it being done in kinsale and garrettstown region. Havent fished in a number of years but now have the time to put into it.
Have done a good few sessions from the shore in recent weeks with very mixed and fishing and all be poor results compared to a few years ago.
Would appreciate any guidence in joining a club and shore competition scene around the cork area to start with. And if anyone can poont me in a direction to casting instructions to add a few extra yards but most importantly improving my basic tecnique.

Thanks in advance.
declea
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 7 times

Re: newbie

Postby Deise boy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:34 pm

Don't know about cork.
But welcome to the site. I'm sure there's a few cork lads here to help ya out.

If you haven't been out in a few years ( sounds like kids )
Get yourself braided lines for longer casting.
You didn't say spinning or casting weight.

The amount of gear out now for fishing is almost ridiculous.

For this message the author Deise boy has received thanks:
declea (Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:06 pm)
Deise boy
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 131 times

Re: newbie

Postby declea » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:42 pm

Thanks deise boy for the welcome.
All work and no play was to blame for the absense from the shore line. As for casting weight ( im mainly fishing clean beach and some mixed ground) is from 4 to 6oz. Im never took that well to braid but im sure times are changing.
I have to agree though the advances in rod and reel setups is gone crazy. Ive a penn surfblaster guvnor m 12ft with a 525mag extra and an abu hellbender premium 13ft again with a 525mag both on surfix .35mm 19lb clear. Its amazing to see the change back or maybe forward to fixed spool on long rod for distance.
declea
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 7 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions