Washed up on Cloghar beach

Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:33 pm

I was out taking photos of a friend of mine surfing and spotted this on the strand. There was fairly high winds last night and a big swell so I assume that's what did it. It looks very tropical and I think it's called a triggerfish? very cool none the less! Felt like about a pound fish, would be fun on light gear!

Any info about this fella much appreciated! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Washed up on Cloghar beach

Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:45 pm

you are correct, it's a grey trigger fish, more info here: http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/fish ... erfish.htm
good fighters and quite nice to eat too ;)

Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Awesome never knew we had such tropical looking fish come so close to shore! :) Didn't cook him up I'm afraid just left the lad there to feed the seals!

Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:30 pm

We had one if our members on sfni catch one of these last week and a boat had one also last week.

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:06 am

There was one caught on wicklow pier this summer..

Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:58 am

Ya it's a very nice fish, never seen one before so it was cool to see it! :) wanna catch one now though!

Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:34 am

Try the rocks from anywhere from Ventry round to Dunmore head , fishing where it is calm, this is time of year they are caught . Not had one in the Dingle area myself but know others that have. Peeler or hardback crab fished under a float is best I am told , but we catch them on Chesil beach ( here in England) on 3 hook rigs fishing on the bottom with either crab or squid. They fight really well.

Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:48 pm

Nice find!

Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:01 pm

trigger fish seem to be turning up all over the place