licence for using nets off a beach? - CORK

Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:03 am

Just wondering if there are any rules and regulations surrounding using a net off a beach.Does it require a licence or need to be a certain length,type etc before it comes into question.Its just that I finally had it "confirmed" by a chap in garryvoe co,cork last week that he has been using a net all summer off the main beach .Its not a huge net but in this chaps own words its long enough that he is sick of catching rays big and small in it.
Obviously this net is doing a lot of damage so hence my question and knowing the chap if a licence is indeed required he sure as hell hasn't got one :roll:
Does anyone know the score :?: :?:

Re: licence for using nets off a beach?

Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:30 am

Have you asked the fisheries board the same question? :shock: :shock:
Have you contacted the Munster Council (i.f.s.a.)conservation officer 8) 8)

As far as I know the use of any kind of net without a licence is illegal that includes gathering sand eel.

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:10 am

100% illegal without a license and unsporting on top of that. Nothing really else to say about the matter apart from it has nothing to do with angling as a sport.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1959/en/ ... c0099.html
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1949/en/ ... c0013.html
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/tr ... rmits.html
http://debates.oireachtas.ie/seanad/201 ... /00012.asp
http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=& ... 8961,d.ZGU

Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:19 am

Thanks Donal,i'll chance the fishery people using my speed dial.Who would I be contacting on the munster council now that I gather you've been promoted 8)
Right so just seeing Austrians post its totally illegal so,ill make that call.Its not as if the net is going anywhere as its been there all summer despite people on here telling me it was just pot markers that were across the bay :roll:

Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:12 pm

just make sure you gather as much evidence as you possibly can before making the call - I've heard of cases where these nets have miraculously disappeared overnight and the IFI officer was not able to proceed any further. A few good and sharp photos with date and time stamp and from different angles are usually a good start. Better obviously would be a clearly identifiable picture from the culprit and/or his car leaving/arriving at the scene. Pictures of tire tracks can provide evidence that he was there if he became careless and uses the same car all the time. Remember, timing is crucial, if he has a pattern when he controls the nets and brings in the haul then that's the time he will be caught red-handed. Good Luck Sherlock ;)

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:08 am

Netting is still live and well in the west. Spoke to a guy couple of weeks ago in Achill who puts them out for as he calls the 'giant herring'! They're a strange species that migrate form salt to fresh water to breed, they also have an unusual fleshy second dorsal like a trout..... You get the picture!

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:20 am

Chris T wrote:Netting is still live and well in the west. Spoke to a guy couple of weeks ago in Achill who puts them out for as he calls the 'giant herring'! They're a strange species that migrate form salt to fresh water to breed, they also have an unusual fleshy second dorsal like a trout..... You get the picture!

Once again did you contact Inland Fisheries Ireland.

Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Just an update,thankfully this offending net is now out of action :D ,unfortunately it took the sea to wash it ashore with 14 painted ray dead as dodos,and many many crabs to decommission the wall of death. :twisted: Just a heads up to anyone thinking of fishing the caravan gap in garryvoe for a painted ray DONT BOTHER :!:

Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:36 pm

Great topic! The sad reality is poaching will always be there...

Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:21 am

Still worth keeping any eye on it. Nets are cheap enough, the guy will most likely be back with a new net in no time.

licence for using nets off a beach? - CORK

Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:37 pm

Received word yesterday,that the net in question was totally legal and the chap could land an obscene amount of ray before any questions could be asked.Still don't have an answer regarding the licence but having heard what I heard yesterday id doubt one is required :evil: or would even be looked for :!:
My next question is playing devils advocate the area where the net was washed ashore is a very popular swimming area for young and old alike and lord above if someone had got caught up in it and drowned then who would be responsible :?:
Also who is responsible for removing this net with rotting ray and crabs that stinks to high heaven :?:

Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:04 pm

I am not up to date with laws on recreational netting - I would have thought recreational netting was not allowed. The net may be legal but in the position as described it would be fishing for bass and as such IFI would be entitled to remove and confiscate the net. As for who is responsible for it on the beach... I suppose it is still owned by the guy who set it?

Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:37 pm

I would have thought the same Jim,but not in this particular case. :roll:

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:02 pm

The law simply states no net may be fixed and any net that lies in the natural habitat/migratory path of salmon or bass is illegal...

Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:20 pm

danbrosnan wrote:The law simply states no net may be fixed and any net that lies in the natural habitat/migratory path of salmon or Bass is illegal...

Do you have a link to a SI or Act that states that to put this to bed?

Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:34 am

jd wrote:
danbrosnan wrote:The law simply states no net may be fixed and any net that lies in the natural habitat/migratory path of salmon or Bass is illegal...

Do you have a link to a SI or Act that states that to put this to bed?

I'd imagine it's in the 1959 Fisheries (Consolidated) Act, probably Part VII and Part VIII. But I'm not wading through that lot at this time of night..... :lol:

Maybe Bradan will know off the top of his head.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:01 am

My father used to douse any nets he found with acid. Just a thought.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4

Re: licence for using nets off a beach? - CORK

Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:34 pm

Rightio guys, I've tidied up this thread a bit, split off stuff relevant to another county, removed some old guff entirely, so please try to keep this one on topic - netting in Cork.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Any net other than one rigged for Salmon or Bass is legal. I f you do not have a licence you can still use a net/trawl, provided you do not sell your catch for profit. There is no limit to the amount or type of gear you can use for bottom netting once it is greater than 4.8 inch mesh size if you have a netting licence.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:50 am

What beach is it?
I'd rip it out and dispose of it if I thought any of my kids were in danger swimming near it...