An idea thats been hurtin my head!!!

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

An idea thats been hurtin my head!!!

Postby Creep » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:10 pm

ok lads This has been playing on my mind, and im going to throw it out there....2 years ago on Christmas eve i nearly lost my 4yr old daughter, but Temple Street Childerns hospital saved her life, she awoke 2am Christmas Day to this day the best Christmas present I got was when she said daddy!! Anyways ever since I have always done what i could for Temple Street (including the Christmas Charity swim, last year we had to break ice to get into the sea!!) , money can never repay the gift of life they gave to me, but money can get better equipment that can save someone elses son or daughter, heres my idea thats been banging in my head since meeting alot of ya's..

with Halloween coming up what about a fancy dress angling day for Halloween for Temple Street Childrens hospital, heres how we do it, we tell friends and family were meeting at a beach in fancy outfits and fishin and havin crack! If they want to sponsor us and the monies raised go to temple street would anybody be interested in this? Cause either way im thinking of going ahead with it myself even If im the only nutter on the beach in an outfit :D
Ive just been on the phone to the fundraising section (she laughed and thought it was great) :D
Would anybody else be interested in doing it? and if so we could even do it on a national level with nutters from all over the country hitting thier local marks :D
list 2013 (10) Ballan Wrasse, (17) Smooth Hounds (6lb, 2oz, best so far this year), (47) LSD, (2) shore Rockling, (1) Long spine scorpion, (9) flounder, (8) Dab (2)Bass (3) Mackerel (2) lance (2) Plaice (2) Pollock (1) whiting

List 2012: (83) Whitting, (2) Plaice, (20) 5 Beard Rockling, (3) Coalie, (1) 3 Beard Rockling PB 40cm, (8)Pouting, (1) poor cod, (49) LSD(PB: 3lb.2oz), (1) Shore Rockling, (2) Codling, (2) Long Spine Scorpion, (6) Pollock (25) flounder (b) (1) mackrel (1) Turbot PB19cm (10)dab (6) Smooth Hound (2) Twaite Shad, (2)Thornback Ray(PB: 4lb 5oz), (34) Mackrel (Shore), (35) Lance PB31cm, (1) pipe fish, (1)Bull Huss 3lb 150z, (1) Octopus (2)corkwing wrasse, (1) Dragonet

List 2011: 16 species (267 fish caught)

Reel Anglers Don’t Litter

For this message the author Creep has received thanks: 2
davybrown99 (Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:06 pm), twinkle (Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:42 pm)
Creep
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Re: An idea thats been hurtin my head!!!

Postby Theking » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:12 pm

Where would it be on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For this message the author Theking has received thanks:
Creep (Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:42 pm)
Theking
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 22 times

Postby Hooker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:18 pm

Great idea! Could try get a tackle shop to donate a small prize for a best fancy dress competition based on photos posted on the forum, and a special prize for anyone fishing in November in a Borat Mankini :shock:

For this message the author Hooker has received thanks:
Hooker
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 32 times

Postby Tanglerat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:16 pm

Give the fancy dress a theme otherwise some cute hoors are going to go dressed as anglers!

For this message the author Tanglerat has received thanks:
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby red » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:28 pm

A lot of people who would be on for this would have their own kids and would want to spend halloween with them, not a load of borats on a beach!!
You would probably get a better turn out if it was on the saturday or sunday or have it as a family event early on the monday so people could be home in time for trick or treating with the smallies. Good idea tho and if there's any kind of a spin off in cork ill be there, dressed as a lug worm or a crab!!

For this message the author red has received thanks:
Creep (Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:43 pm)
red
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 222 times

Postby paul skelly » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:59 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me and more importantly for a great cause :)
Hope this happens sounds like great crack, Imagine the report :) :)
Give a man a fire he will be warm for a night,
Set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Species from the shore 2011:21
Species from the shore 2012:34,
Species from the shore 2013:40
Species from the shore 2014:36
Species from the shore 2015:35
Species from the shore 2016:30
: whiting,pouting,dab,shore rockling,5xb beard rockling,flounder,dogfish,grunt,white sea bream,banded sea bream,black damselfish,blue damselfish, ornate wrasse,lizard fish,sea trout,red gurnard,bass,tornback ray smoothhound,Corkwing wrasse,poor cod,ballon wrasse,cod,pollock,conger,spotted ray,bullhuss,mackerel ,tub gurnard,place,lesser weever,

Wish list: ray

For this message the author paul skelly has received thanks:
Creep (Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:43 pm)
paul skelly
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 257 times

Postby Creep » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:36 pm

Feck It im gonna push this then!! thanks lads for the positive feed back!!!!! (I thought for awhile there I was going to be the only nut job on the beach!!)I need your ideas (PLEASE KEEP THEM POURING IN) as this should be easy to setup (I've done some charity events in the past) As for venue Im not bothered if it fishes well as I think one or two hours of pure fun!!! whilst setting out the rods. we'd need an easy safe beach to get to, via DART or car thats not miles out of the way, and large enough to hold a good few anglers Im thinking Dollymount Strand or Killiney beach (im not worried about giving a popular mark away as there are big brown signs all over the country pointing to marks, have ya seen them :shock: ) As for prizes brilliant idea!! didnt think of that I just was thinking of the crack!!!

Ok, as for time was thinking the same, kick it off around 11am- 2pm that will give people enough time to sort out were (if they need to be anywhere)

Prize for the funniest outfit voted by this forum (brilliant!!)
As for theme we'd have to give it a name any ideas??
Temple Street Mad Haddocks Angling Party?
Codling codders Big Day Out?

I'll ring temple street in the morning and push it forward and see what they suggest as sponor cards ;) If this works I'm dying to see the Photos!!
list 2013 (10) Ballan Wrasse, (17) Smooth Hounds (6lb, 2oz, best so far this year), (47) LSD, (2) shore Rockling, (1) Long spine scorpion, (9) flounder, (8) Dab (2)Bass (3) Mackerel (2) lance (2) Plaice (2) Pollock (1) whiting

List 2012: (83) Whitting, (2) Plaice, (20) 5 Beard Rockling, (3) Coalie, (1) 3 Beard Rockling PB 40cm, (8)Pouting, (1) poor cod, (49) LSD(PB: 3lb.2oz), (1) Shore Rockling, (2) Codling, (2) Long Spine Scorpion, (6) Pollock (25) flounder (b) (1) mackrel (1) Turbot PB19cm (10)dab (6) Smooth Hound (2) Twaite Shad, (2)Thornback Ray(PB: 4lb 5oz), (34) Mackrel (Shore), (35) Lance PB31cm, (1) pipe fish, (1)Bull Huss 3lb 150z, (1) Octopus (2)corkwing wrasse, (1) Dragonet

Creep
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby sparkey+1 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:09 pm

Yea M8 great idea the hospital did the same for my eldest lad when he went blue in my arms witing for the ambulance and I mean BLUE lips and no response and wasn't breathing when he was 3/4 years old so count me in DEFFO......

I dont mind what beach but think if it was public/buggie friendly and maybe had passing people to chuck some euro into a bucket or two.

Will buz you later.

Dave
Species 2012: Flounder, Whiting, Dublin Bay Codling, Coalie, 3 Beard Rockling, Shore Rockling, Bass, Dogfish, 5.2lb Starry Smoothhound (PB), Twaite Shad, Thornback Ray 5.8lbs (PB), LSD, Pollock, Ballan Wrasse, Cork Wing Wrasse, 43cm Flounder (PB)

Species 2013: Coalie, East Coast Codling, Smoothounds, And hopefully a back opp to get back fishing soon...

For this message the author sparkey+1 has received thanks:
Creep (Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:35 pm)
sparkey+1
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 267 times

Postby tight lines » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:54 am

sounds like fun count me in
great idea hope it kicks off give us a ring when you get some ideas

For this message the author tight lines has received thanks:
tight lines
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 471 times

Postby Donnyboy1 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:08 am

Sounds like a great idea... don't suppose you could make it a national thing on 4 or 5 beeches / marks?

For this message the author Donnyboy1 has received thanks:
Donnyboy1
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 68 times

Postby barry murphy » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:32 am

prob would not make it but will suport it when ye have it sorted as i would say many others would to.let us know where and ill send up few pound.good idea lads
barry

For this message the author barry murphy has received thanks:
barry murphy
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 22 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Jayball10 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:52 pm

I wore a mask on the beach last halloween and Ill be doin it again this year. I spent a lot of time in Temple Street as a kid so Im in (if available). Great idea Creeps...
The way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly...

For this message the author Jayball10 has received thanks:
Creep (Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:34 pm)
Jayball10
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 120 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Creep » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:31 pm

Right lads been in touch with Temple Street talked to Susan and the idea is a goer!!! :D Im over the freckin moon!!!!!!!! Now all I need to do is sus out location and i want your ideas PLEASE!!! Im thinkin of a mark that has ease of access approachable by Dart and has ample parking if needs be (though I'll be trying to persuade people to take the DART) talked to a few friends in the media and they are excited about it as well (have to give this great website a plug!!!! Mods your guys are the best!!) so things to do and I need your help, suggestions, ideas ...

Date: Halloween Oct 31 Monday (I know you guys can make any excuse to go fishin!!!)
Time: 11am -2pm

I'll be chattin to a few tackle shops re prizes etc, and Im also going to get some sweets for anyone turning up on the day dresses up (other then an angler!! :D ) (Sweets will have to be on first come first served basis though :( unless I get a donation of them)
Please feel free to PM me if you have any donations you can give for prizes ;)

Suggestions for costumes has been great and Im not givin you any ideas!!!!
As for theme we'd have to give it a name any ideas??

Temple Street Mad Haddocks Angling Party??

Codling codders Big Day Out??
(Keep it fishy!!)

Sent a feeler out to media friends and they will run the idea if I get all the boxes checked ;)
Target money: Anything raised is a bonus!!!!! but a personal goal i have set is €1000

A Mark... so far suggestions are: (dont care if they fish well or not, the day is about fun and crack!!!and a few bob for Temple Street!!!!!)
Killiney
Bray
Dollymount
(i'll be drivin out to suggested marks tommorrow to sus them out for parking, strech of beach, walking distance, etc!! hell might even throw a line or two to see what happens) :D

Keeping it small at the moment but if this is sucessful we'll do it again next year for 2 charitys
Temple Street and the RNLI!!

National wise.. it would be easy to do one person or a group a friends take the idea and run it on a beach then send up the cash to Temple Street easy
|Roping in a friend of mine who has helped me in past projects, though she knows nothing of fishing but knows how dear this is to my heart...Lads thank you all for your comments and support!!!
Tight Lines to you ALL
Kev

Creep
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Tanglerat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:44 pm

Topic stickyified, and I'm keeping it here rather than moving it to meets/buddies or clubs & comps.

For this message the author Tanglerat has received thanks:
Creep (Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:05 pm)
Tanglerat

Have thanks: 381 times

Postby jd » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:08 pm

Greystones may be an option as well.
South beach is beside Dart

For this message the author jd has received thanks:
Creep (Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:06 pm)
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 526 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby twinkle » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:10 pm

its a great idea i think killiney beach is family friendly and on the dart line

For this message the author twinkle has received thanks:
Creep (Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:06 pm)
twinkle
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 161 times

Postby Creep » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:12 pm

cool that 4 -5 beaches I'll have a look at tomorrow (wonder if I'll get a line in :D) doesnt matter if i dont but I'll decided on the location tomorrow deffo cause theres alot to do gonna try and keep this simple as i can, but more ideas keep comin in which is Brilliant!!! Thanks for the sticky!! Temple Street are due to get in contact with me in the next day or two with the permit needed... (in truth.. I cant wait to see the photos of this day and after the money is brought to Temple Street, and results are posted here....I'm going to raise a pint to all of ya's!!! Ive saved up enough money for a nice pint or two!!!!!)

Creep
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby davybrown99 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:05 pm

Great idea. Great cause too. I would suggest greystones. Count me and young lad In either way. Sounds great, fair play.

Davy

For this message the author davybrown99 has received thanks:
Creep (Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:54 am)
davybrown99
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 21 times

Postby dave mc gregor » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:44 am

great idea, i also have young kids and they are my life, i am also a well known dj around the country {i use a diff name for dj} playing chart dance and club dance, if this is any use, mail me and i will gladly help out any way i can do so

For this message the author dave mc gregor has received thanks:
Creep (Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:55 am)
dave mc gregor
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Creep » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:01 pm

great ideas lads keep em coming started work on this 7am and managed a few suprises!! :shock: :lol: But seriously if anyone wants to do this on thier local marks on a national side of things PM ASAP!! enquiries have been coming from Cork/Waterford region, and Galway region!!! and I only suggested this on TUESDAY!!! :shock: also if fishing clubs etc want to help out all the better for the national side of things!!! Right have to sus out these beaches so keep the ideas comin!!!!! and I'll be back later on today with an update! :wink:

Update going to be delayed as im waiting for call backs ;)

This is my daughter whom I owe so much to Temple Street for...
Attachments
C7 phone pics 1124.jpg
C7 phone pics 1124.jpg (93.06 KiB) Viewed 1906 times

For this message the author Creep has received thanks: 2
twinkle (Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:19 pm), wayne riley (Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:08 am)
Creep
SAI Sea Dog!

Next

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions