Pen mightier than sword?

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Pen mightier than sword?

Postby x » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:21 pm

I don't know how many of you were watching TV the other night and tuned in to 'Rip-Off Republic' but if you did, you'll probably have noticed that the presenter ended the show by exhorting the audience and viewing public to mail a disposable nappy to the Minister for Justice in a bid to have him bin the Groceries Order - an outdated piece of legislation that makes it illegal for the large supermarket chains not to rip us off.

The presenter's message was simple. Whatever faction creates the largest postbag wins. Letters=votes, to state the equation in its simplest form and votes=job to any politician.

You may have noted that this was supported by a piece on one woman who decided that she wanted Lidl to open a supermarket in her town, but Lidl had been refused planning permission. She got 5000 signatures and the planning committee had to fold under pressure and reverse their decision. Cutting long story short, price of groceries in town fell dramatically but more importantly, a concerned group got their way in the face of opposition from massive commercial interests.

What has this to do with angling?

The answer should be obvious.

1. Campaigning works.

2. There are many more 'little people' than 'big businesses'.

3. As few as 5000 signatures or letters can swing the result.

As an interesting aside to point 3 above, Leon passed me the following:-

I was amused when the Prime Ministers Strategy Unit announced that the consultation that led to Net Benefits had attracted an 'overwhelming response'. Just a few hundred! and anglers were in the majority. That changed everything! :D

So, can we get more anglers than commercial fishermen to put pressure on the government? From the latest data I could find recently, there were 4650 people employed directly in commercial fishing in Ireland. I'm currently tring to determine how many recreational sea anglers there are across the 32 counties. I suspect that this figure will far outweigh the number of commercial fishermen. I'll add to this thread as the figures become clearer, but take heart from the fact that very few fishermen write to their local politicians.

So, not to put to fine a point on it, can we all please try to make a difference to the future of sea angling by sending even one letter or e-mail?
x

Postby Leon Roskilly » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:07 pm

Quite some time ago Malcolm Gilbert, Roger Baker and Bob Cox were invited to Brussels to meet a senior fisheries official to discuss issues that affected Recreational Anglers.

Right at the beginning of the meeting, one of them asked "Why have we been invited to this meeting?"

The official walked to his desk and bought out a pile of about 25 letters, written to the EU by UK anglers.

"This is why!" he said.

Unfortunately, when anglers write, there letters are sometimes never answered, or if they are, the reply is often condensending or dismissive, perhaps designed to destroy the writers morale and belief that anything can ever be changed.

But when officials and politicians keep getting letters and emails, they begin to sense a growing public mood, and doors start to open.

Politicians are more ready to talk to angling 'officials', and public officials know that their job is keeping the politicians happy.

Every letter/email written by an angler is important, even if it is never answered, or just answered "the points you have raised have been noted".

One letter may not make much difference, but it doesn't take that many to start to build the pressure that opens doors for others to walk through.

Already Sandman has been invited to meetings :)

Not because he is who he is, but because of who he represents; anglers who write letters !!

Tight Lines - leon

(ps You probably put a lot of effort into planning for a trip, getting your gear ready, buying bait, driving there. It takes far less time to draft a simple letter, and costs far less to post it, but that simple act will probably have more effect on the success of some future trip, than all the other hours of preparation! )
Leon Roskilly
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Leon Roskilly » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:15 pm

One way of making sure that you are alerted to any issues where your political pressure will help, is by joining SACN.

It's FREE !!!!!

Do it here: http://anglersnet.co.uk/sacn/membership.htm

You'll be kept informed of important issues and asked to write to various people when that is appropriate.

Sandman will also write to the Irish membership when there are issues of particular importance to you.

Tight Lines - leon
Leon Roskilly
SAI Bait Ball

Thanks Leon

Postby John D » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:05 pm

Thanks for the insight into the effect our campaigning can have Leon. You've given me fresh and renewed hope. I have my envelopes at the ready.

Keep up the good work.
I've just started mine.

All the best.
John D
Protect the magical sport of sea angling and spread the word that conservation is the way forward. Put fish back!!!!
John D
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 182 times

Postby cortaz » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:19 pm

8) :idea: :wink:
cortaz
Convicted Poacher - No Shame

Have thanks: 131 times

Postby shambobala » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:33 pm

I'm a great believer in harassment of politicians, I've been in regular correspondance with Pat Breen ( TD for Clare) about the illegal trawler activity in Liscannor bay, lack of enforecement, illegal bass angling etc. etc. , and in fairness he's been replying, passing on my letters to the tourism and fisheries ministers ( all of whom reply in politicaleese bs). Interestingly the last letter I had from the tourism minister mentioned that " Failte Ireland , in consultation with industry stakeholders, is currently engaged in developing a new strategy fo the angling product"... does anyone know if any anglers are actually involved in this consultation or is it anther political committee of disinterested parties who get to fly to the caribbean to see wht fish look like? (forgive my cynicism)

Regardless, I would encourage everyone to write to John o Donoghue to express your concerns to this new strategy group in Failte Ireland.
shambobala
SAI Bait Ball

Postby x » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:02 pm

It seems our government (who we don't HAVE to vote in at the next election) do not really recognise anglers as stakeholders. More the fool them. A day of change is coming...

So, keep writing....

I've yet to hear of anyone I know being invited as a stakeholder, but that day will come if we keep the pressure on...
x

Postby shambobala » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:33 pm

if anyone would like to apply a little more pressure to the minister, you can email his office (ministersoffice@dast.gov.ie)

I am sure he will be delighted to hear any feedback from the people he is meant to be representing.
shambobala
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions