Search underway for pair missing off Cork coast

This forum is for general discussion related to Angling. Areas covered would include Media Reports, Conservation Issues and the promotion of the sport.

Moderators: kieran, jd, Tanglerat, teacher

Search underway for pair missing off Cork coast

Postby Tony Fella » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:03 pm

http://www.ecrsac.com

Species 2011..(17)..Haddock..Ling..Cod..Whiting..Dab..Flounder..Coalie..Pollock..Pouting..Poorcod..cuckoo wrasse...Pouting...Launce..Plaice..Smooth Hound.. Turbot..Ballan Wrasse..
Tony Fella
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 4 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Search underway for pair missing off Cork coast

Postby nige » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:40 pm

think someone went missing from ballyreen in the last few days too
nige
Wee Hours Boss!

Have thanks: 24 times

Postby twinkle » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:57 pm

the ocean as we all know is a fickle friend and i hope that they are found safe but the delay in reporting them missing
is not helpful to any rescue mission what was conditions like there on sunday?this always makes me think when its a bit iffy going out i hope there found ok
twinkle
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 161 times

Postby daithi » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:04 pm

just heard on the news that the father was found by divers.
its a terrible thing but seems to be getting more common, every summer we're these stories.
Try again, fail again. Fail better.
daithi
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby HDreier » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:18 pm

Very sad story. And not the only one this week.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0715/kerry.html

Somebody fell overboard a vessel in Tralee this morning - he didn't make it either.

Respect the sea!!!
HDreier
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby saltydog » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:52 pm

nige wrote:think someone went missing from ballyreen in the last few days too

A 40 year old French National fell from the rocks at Ballyreen he was air-lifted so hospital but sadly lost his fight for life.... Seperately a man went missing from Inis Oírr he was last seen by the pier side...

These sad stories are a reminder to all fishing the coast line over the summer months when we might not be as "on guard" due to the good weather, to be extra vigilant particularly when fishing rock marks... Don't fish a rock mark alone and always keep an eye on the sea for freak waves... try to avoid rock marks if its raining as the rocks become very slippy if you get caught in a down pour while set up on rocks watch your footing and take your time.... don't put yourself in harms way by climbing down rocks to bag a fish or free a lure.... safe fishing and tight lines..
Shore Species 2011 (31) Ballan Wrasse, Bass, Bullhuss, Coalfish, Cod, Conger, Corkwing Wrasse, Cuckoo Ray, Dab, Dogfish, Five Bearded Rockling, Flounder, Goldsinny Wrasse, Long Spined Sea Scorpion, Mackerel, Plaice, Pollack, Poor Cod, Pouting, Rock Goby, Shanny, Shore Rockling, Short Spined Sea Scorpion, Thornback Ray, Three Bearded Rockling, Tompot Blenny, Tope, Tub Gurnard, Turbot, Undulate Ray, Whiting

Shore Species 2010 (26) - Bass, Black Goby, Bull Huss, Coalfish, Cod, Dab, Dogfish, Five Bearded Rockling, Flounder, Grey Gurnard, Lesser Weaver, Mackerel, Mullet, Plaice, Pollack, Poor cod, Pouting, Rock Goby, Shore Rockling, Silver eel, Starry Smooth Hound, Thornback Ray, Tope, Tub Gurnard, Turbot, Whiting

Galway Buccaneers SAC
saltydog
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby screeming reels » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:29 pm

hi,
was involved looking for the two lads down off cod head yesterday,
Two main points come from this sad event.
1)PLEASE let someone know where you are going fishing, and what time you will be back, if you are going to be late let them know, ( was searching for a missing boat off Raven point in wexford 2 weeks ago for a boat reported overdue, we found them safe and well, but they had not informed anyone that they were staying out late, though happy that all was ok, a lifeboat and helicopter were used, and a more important case may have been delayed)
2) This may sound stupid, but if fishing off rocks, cliffs etc, where a self inflate lifejacket, often it is the case that help will be with you quickly, the lifejacket will keep you afloat and you will be able to swim away from the cliff base,and danger of being smashed against the rocks.Plus anyone looking out to sea will see the orange jacket, and are more likely to call help!!
It will increase your chances of survival by 95%.
food for though
regards
screeming
screeming reels
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 82 times

Postby jw » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:43 pm

that's very well put. Should we have this in some prominent place permanently on the site?
It is more important than our precious bass after all :-)
A high proportion of the lads drowned seem to come from eastern europe where they may
be used to lake or river fishing and not aware of the danger of the swell off the west coast,
although having said that the person I first fished commercially with was recently drowned in
seven feet of water having spent 45 years at sea off the west coast
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 83 times

Postby Tony Fella » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:26 pm

I think something with info and tips when fishing rock marks should be placed permanently even a link to a shop who sells cheap inflatable lifejackets as they can be expensive i cant imagine whats it like to drown and its not nice to hear about people who do drown who have the same interests in angling
http://www.ecrsac.com

Species 2011..(17)..Haddock..Ling..Cod..Whiting..Dab..Flounder..Coalie..Pollock..Pouting..Poorcod..cuckoo wrasse...Pouting...Launce..Plaice..Smooth Hound.. Turbot..Ballan Wrasse..
Tony Fella
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby Cormdogg » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:33 am

Very sad, really touched the heart strings with me when I read about it.

Manuela Goeb, the owner of the Breadcrumb Bakery where Mr Latek worked, said a fund has been set up in the Bank of Ireland in Kenmare.

The fund will help Mr Latek's widow with the expense of returning her husband's body to Poland for his funeral.

The name of the account is Piotr and Matthias and the account number is 28414889. The bank code is 90 57 31.
2010 - Whiting, Dogfish, 3 bearded Rockling, Shore Rockling, Pollock, Dab, Plaice, Launce, Sea Scorpion, Goby, Gunnel, Codling, Red Cod, Smooth Hound, Ballan Wrasse, Corkwing Wrasse
Cormdogg
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby petekd » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:18 am

think something with info and tips when fishing rock marks should be placed permanently even a link to a shop who sells cheap inflatable lifejackets as they can be expensive i cant imagine whats it like to drown and its not nice to hear about people who do drown who have the same interests in angling

Good idea, I'm working on it Tony, I'm working on it... :wink:
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby browntroutaroundbend » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:37 pm

This is very sad. My heart and prayers goes out to the families to those who lost there lives.
browntroutaroundbend

Postby simplywabs » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:53 pm

When I first got the interest in fishing. I didn't go to the sea until I joined this forum. A lot of people helped me learn the do's and don'ts but I think I still have a lot more to learn. I have been safe on our sessions due to those very useful information. I guess not everyone has access to this type of info which is a pity.

My prayers are with those who get hit by accidents caused by lack of knowledge.
WABS

'2011 Species: Bass, Mackerel, Coal Fish, Whiting, Dab, Pollock, Silver eel, Sandeel, pouting, Strap Conger, LSD, Bull Huss, Weever Fish, Plaice, Tub Gurnard, Cod : Current count (16) Season target (15) WooHoo Target hit for the season... more to come...

'2012 Species: Coal Fish, Whiting, Cod, Mackerel, Bass, Pollock : Current count (6) Season target (18)
simplywabs
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 64 times

Postby Conger » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:23 pm

Saw today that Matthais's body was recovered, my prayers go to the family
Speices 2011 : Codling, Whiting, Bass, Flounder, Ray, Dogfish, Turbot

Speices 2012 : codling, Bass (pb), Flounder

Speices 2013 : Codling, thornie, Bass, whiting, coalie, flounder,dogfish,painted ray, Sea trout, Turbot

Species 2014 : Codling, thornie, turbot, flounder

2011 PB List - Ray 7lb
2012 PB List - Bass 11lb
2013 PB List - Painted Ray 10.5lb, 1lb 3b rockling, 10lb Thornback Ray, 1lb Sea Trout
Conger
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 136 times

Return to Angling News, Issues, Comments and Opinions