SHORE: Dunree/Fahan, Co Donegal March 24 4-9 pm (MA)

Sea Angling Ireland SAC was set up by users of the site in 2005.

Moderator: Don

SHORE: Dunree/Fahan, Co Donegal March 24 4-9 pm (MA)

Postby jd » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:03 am

Dunree/Fahan, Co Donegal March 24 4-9 pm (MA)
(Fanad Head tide)
LW HW
15:50 21:39
0.9 m 3.3 m

There are plenty of flats to decent sizes to be had at Dunree with Ray and LSDs interspersed (do a search on shore reports under Dunree) or hit Fahan and fish for Thornies and LSDs with occasional flats and Gurnards. Has to be more exciting than Micro flattie bashing. Both marks fish during the day.

petekd wrote:We will be fishing off the main beach which is a 5 minute Yomp from parking. There is no vehicular access to this mark. It comprises a sandy beach which is crossed by two shallow streams. Waders will be required if the larger of the two is in flood but it is situated towards one side of the beach so that may not be necessary. Sea trout and salmon actually run up this stream, when you see the size and depth you will be surprised! Plenty of flats to be had, in and around this venue I've had Dabs, Plaice, flounder, Thornbacks caught here, LSDs to plague proportion at times, grey and red gurnards and coalfish. I have never fished this venue with worm baits, they are impossible to buy in Donegal, however there have been some excellent catches on mackerel strip, sandeel etc. This being a sheltered bay there is bugger all in the way of a surf TBH unless the weather is really manky. Its an easy venue to fish with few snags, easy access and best of all, I promise you a cracking night on the town that night

I'll leave it to pete to fill in some more details
Last edited by jd on Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 526 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby stevecrow74 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:32 am

if nige cant make it.. anyone passing through Galway can give me a lift :lol: :lol: :lol:
i so want to be at this one
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby nige » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:02 am

I will be going to this one but if ur passing through galway ur still more than welcome to give crow a lift:)
nige
Wee Hours Boss!

Have thanks: 24 times

Postby teacher » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:07 am

I'm in.

Are people staying Friday night, Saturday night or both? Where is a good place to stay?
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby petekd » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:30 am

Ill be up there for both but will be staying in or around Letterkenny on the Friday night and Buncrana then on the Saturday. Loads of hotels and B&Bs to be had in both towns. Buncrana is the handiest spot for the Saturday night. I'll make a call or two and post some details up over next couple of days. For those of you thinking of travelling up, new bypasses and road improvements mean you can reach Buncrana in around 3 hours from Dublin so its not as far as you might think. Anyone planning on staying up the Friday night and fancying a good night out, do yourself a favour and stay in Letterkenny....I'll be doing guided tours :wink: Make sure however you're in Buncrana for the Sat night, Letterkenny is nearly 30 miles away.

Fish baits work very well here, your target species are LSDs, Flats and hopefully a ray or two will make an appearance. Worms may work well here, I dont know.... They are hard to buy in Donegal and I'm a lazy git when it comes to digging!! I've had loads of fish to a hungover presented strip of mackerel so dont worry too much. All the flats can be found inside the bay at various spots so bear that in mind, gurnards have also made an appearance in the past along with coalies. Its not really a venue with a huge run of tide, nor does it get much in the way of a surf, its quite sheltered. Distance casting will help during daylight but is not by any means essential. Dont be surprised if the odd Sea Trout makes an appearance.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

meet

Postby croppyboy » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:59 am

as far as i know im in
croppyboy
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 25 times

Postby MC » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:11 pm

any idea of tide times, may have to work that day but will be finished by 2pm and its not far for me to travel, apart from this I am up for it
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 379 times

Postby jd » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:19 pm

LW HW
15:50 21:39
0.9 m 3.3 m
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby MC » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:22 pm

thanks jd i'll be there even if i am still in uniform
MC
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 379 times

Postby petekd » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:37 pm

Still fairly early on but I'm going to try and fish it this weekend and see whats around.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby petekd » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:33 pm

Go to http://www.donegal.ie/dcc/gplan/ Under Townland enter "Dunree". We are fishing the beach to the right hand side of Dunree head. Zoom in as far as you can to see the photos.

On a totally different topic, one or two club members have enquired from me recently about casting lessons. Ulster Casting Club are holding one of their regular meets the following day for anyone thats interested. You wont learn a huge amount in a day but you most certainly will pick up a few tips that will definitely add a few yards and give you something to work on. They have a proper casting court set up and I found them more than helpful on the day I spent with them not so long ago.

For more details see Ulster Casting Club site under the Club events forum. Their location is about 90 minutes from Buncrana on the North coast. Andy or Lee will give you the details I'm sure.
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby stevecrow74 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:53 pm

nige wrote:I will be going to this one but if ur passing through galway ur still more than welcome to give crow a lift:)

it would actually save nige back tracking from Tuam as well...

not saying i dont want a lift from you :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol:
[url=http://galwaybuccaneerssac.com/]Galway Buccaneers SAC[/url]
[i][color=red]St Juniper once said; 'By his loins shall ye know him, and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.'[/i]
stevecrow74
Scomber Doorman

Have thanks: 58 times
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby donal domeney » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:07 pm

Great day out. It's been a long time since I felt that kind of pressure before a comp. Looking forward to the next one. Wonder will local boy (Petekd) be willing to give away as much information about this venue as he was looking for about morriscastle.
Petekd, just to prod your memory cod mark in Youyghal and maddie mark in Cork harbour. PM's will do fine.
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby jd » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:43 pm

you know what I can do to your avatar etc? pms fine too..
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby petekd » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:45 pm

You'll all be looking for me to find ladies for you next..... :D Its flats and dogs lads. Crap bait always caught fish so I would have high hopes of a decent enough return. When I say crap baits I mean flag sized pieces of squid and semi liquid mackerel :shock: . Didnt stop the flats and doggies though. There should be an odd ray knocking around too.
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby ckpainters » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:51 pm

Just booked me and Mick into this place for 50 euros for Saturday night.
It has a band till 12.30am and disco till 3am and if your a guest you get in free. Deal or what.
Lake of Shadows Hotel
Grianan Park
Buncrana
Ireland
ckpainters
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby Seaniebo » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:51 pm

Right then. How do we find ladies?
I require a tremendous amount of calcium

http://www.saisac.org/
Seaniebo
Unstoppable....

Have thanks: 83 times

Postby Seaniebo » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:53 pm

Sounds good Col!
I require a tremendous amount of calcium

http://www.saisac.org/
Seaniebo
Unstoppable....

Have thanks: 83 times

Postby petekd » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:55 pm

Right then. How do we find ladies?

Watch and learn Seanie..... :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby ckpainters » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:57 pm

Go for it Sean you only live once.
ckpainters
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 3 times

Next

Return to Sea Angling Ireland SAC