First Dibs

Sea Angling Ireland SAC was set up by users of the site in 2005.

Moderator: Don

First Dibs

Postby jd » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:30 pm

Lads, we have a provisional booking for Sunday 28th out of Courtmacsherry, with Mark Gannon. Indications are that there may be high pressure building next week, and with a bit of luck the sea may have settled down by then. We will be going after big coalie etc.

Looking for another 3 (crew of 6) at the moment, so who may be on for it ?
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 526 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby petekd » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:42 pm

Put me down as a definite John, I contacted the FPO and have clearance for big coalies.... :wink:
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby jd » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:45 pm

petekd wrote:Put me down as a definite John, I contacted the FPO and have clearance for big coalies.... :wink:

Excellent

I had you down already.

jd
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Coalie Hunting

Postby Ferg » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:11 pm

Hi JD
Can I get my name in there free next Sat.
Ferg
Ferg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Coalie Hunting

Postby jd » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:15 pm

Ferg wrote:Hi JD
Can I get my name in there free next Sat.
Ferg

Hi Ferg-it is a sunday (sunday week) we are going out..
jd
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Courtmacsherry

Postby Ferg » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:39 pm

Hi Jd
Yeah just looked at the calendar.
off work tomorrow so this weekend has already started.
So again I will see you next weekend. all going well
Ferg
Ferg
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby petekd » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:19 am

Peter McGroary as a definite. Contacted him last night, hes only up the road from Courtmac.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby jd » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:03 am

ok we have jd,jw,petekd,ferg,pete
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby petekd » Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:17 am

To refresh everyones memory.....

Posted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:50 pm Post subject: Some advice for your trip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi guys, If i can offer my 2 pence worth.
If the weather is ok, and Mark heads for the coalie wreck, its a 35 mile trip out !!, so I reckon you would be better trying to get going at 8am instead of 9. and take your sea sick pills !!
If you are fishing for the coalies, use a 8-9' trace of 50lb mono to a long boom, and a 5" storm wide eye shad. when you drop all the way to the bottom, put the reel in gear and wind up about 20 turns reasonably fast, then drop again, keep doing this till the skipper tells you the wreck is coming up on the sounder (this is how to pick up a cod or two.)
As soon as the wreck comes up on the sounder start reeling as fast as you can, and don't stop till you are 100 turns from the bottom (always count them) if there are coalies there you will hit them, well actually they will hit you !! lol and hang on.
If you need any more information feel free to holler.
Tight Lines, and enjoy the trip

Dave Jolly
SAI Newbie

Posted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:28 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I firmly believe that the preference for colours are really down to the angler, and most colours work, the retrieve speed seemes to be more important than the colour, the only definate exception ,imho, is a bright orange lure for cod and pollack.
A 5" storm shad with a bit of blue in the back seems to be a good option, although I was on Marks boat when the old coalie record was broken, and that was on a jelltex sandeel (orange), and i had 3 speciman coalies from 22 to 24.5lb, each on a diff colour shad!
The mustad Jumbo Hokkis work great for the Ling, and you should get away with 10 oz of lead for the shadding.
If you are on one of the closer in wrecks you will catch the Pollack on the shads as well, just slow down on the retrieve, and only come up a max of 40-50 turns.
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby petekd » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:35 pm

And a big thanks to Jim Clohessy for the following info.....

You'll be in the 350ft mark.
A 525, 535 ,7000 would be a grand reel, I do like something with a good retrieve. Bring a spare reel if you can cos you’d be sick if you loose a lot of line off your preferred reel.

I would bring a 12-20 and a 20-30. The 12-20 would be the first choice for shadding but if the drift is brisk you may want a beefier rod. You’ll want the 20-30 if you go to anchor. The 12-20 will do but if you get a decent conger you’ll be up the creek! Make sure you bring a butt pad to save the jewels!

While any shad could do the business on the day my personal favourites are Fishtek flouro orange (cod/coalies) and a particular Storm shad that is unreal for coalies. They are a blue/mackerel stripe.
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby Mr_Green » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:50 pm

ill go 4 sure..if theres a place left
Mr_Green

Postby jd » Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:59 pm

and that is the 6 of us...

jd
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby petekd » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:06 pm

Lads, absolutely NO flaking out on the morning beforehand or not turning up or anything daft like that. If you cant make it, please let us know as soon as you do, ring Myself or JD rather than posting if you have to.....our numbers are in the SAC private board. This is probably the only chance this year we will get to do this and there are certainly others in the wings. We wont have a problem finding a replacement. I know of one fella who has been waiting since the end of October for a window in the weather to hit these wrecks on a charter of his own.

Due to the distance covered, this is not a cheap charter and will amount to €500 for the day split 6 ways.
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby jd » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:13 pm

petekd wrote:Lads, absolutely NO flaking out on the morning beforehand or not turning up or anything daft like that.

Try and keep off the sauce the night before- even 4 pints or so from the previous night can be noticeable on a boat :)
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby Mr_Green » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:28 pm

no worries there... so what the time and date of the boat charter?
Mr_Green

accommodation

Postby jw » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:33 pm

im going to get on to mark and arrange to stay saturday night at his accommodation.
It's going to be a long day,
so staying as near as possible to the boat means you can get up, have breakfast and go fishing. Does anyone else want me to reserve a place for them?

Jd, do you want to stay nearer the airport sunday night?

I will also get boat departure times from mark
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 83 times

date and time

Postby jw » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:39 pm

the date is sunday 28th january 2007
the place is coutmacsherry
the times will be posted shortly, but will be basically daylight hours from 9-5 approx
jw
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 83 times

Re: accommodation

Postby jd » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:53 pm

jw wrote:im going to get on to mark and arrange to stay saturday night at his accommodation.
It's going to be a long day,
so staying as near as possible to the boat means you can get up, have breakfast and go fishing. Does anyone else want me to reserve a place for them?

Jd, do you want to stay nearer the airport sunday night?

I will also get boat departure times from mark

I'll stay courtmacsherry the saturday night- maybe somewhere nearer kinsale on the sunday?
jd
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby Mr_Green » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:19 pm

ill have 2 head back home after cause of work on monday... u guys makin ur own rigs? any tips?
Mr_Green

Postby petekd » Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:59 pm

Bring some big Jumbo Hokkais, some smaller ones if we cant get to the wrecks and have to scratch, a variety of Shads...you dont need the huge ones, the 4" ones are absolutely fine and maybe some jelly worms. Bring at least a dozen weights, say 4 10 oz, 4 12 oz, 4 14/16oz...more if you have them. Some conger traces either tied to wire or to 150lb mono. Some large hooks, 6/0 or so in case of targetting ling and maybe some muppet rigs too. Chances of fresh bait are minimal, bring a few packets of mackerel and a couple of boxes of squid too to be on the safe side. The reason I suggest this variety of stuff is in case we dont get to hit the distant wrecks and spend the day coalie and possibly conger bashing. We may have to scratch around on inshore reefs and the like instead. Dont panic if you dont have everything, I will bring a load of stuff with me but do bring your own bait.
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Next

Return to Sea Angling Ireland SAC