Suggestions: Competition Venues for 2007.

Sea Angling Ireland SAC was set up by users of the site in 2005.

Moderator: Don

Suggestions: Competition Venues for 2007.

Postby jd » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:04 pm

Post your suggestion for competition venues here.

I'm in a rush, but how about a flounder bash October/November in Lacken, Ballyteigue?

Also, the northerners are keen to try for smooth-hound and bass, so maybe North Wexford again June/July? Tie it in with Web Site North/South meet?
jd
Last edited by jd on Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 526 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

September

Postby kieran » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:22 pm

Hi

Bass session in Kerry / West Cork in September, multiple venues organised depending on local weather and related conditions...

I'm allowed dream amn't I! 8) :wink:

I also thing we can organise a spectacular rock fishing expedition around North Mayo, possibly Belmullet but would recommend high summer for it.

FWIW...
Kieran Hanrahan

Time spent fishing is never time wasted...

2015 targets - a triggerfish, a specimen bass, a three bearded rockling to complete the set and something big and toothy from certain north Mayo deep water marks
kieran
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 445 times
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Steve » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:28 pm

At the risk of being lynched, I would suggest fishing the surf beaches around Brandon again next August/September.....with suitable back-ups organised!

I also think the surf beaches around Clare are definitely worth a shot. Lahinch, Spanish Point, Doughmore etc etc. If the surf isn't up there are plenty of rock marks within a short driving distance.
Steve
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby petekd » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:00 pm

Cork:

De Wall, Monkstown. The Pics are in the gallery, Cod, whiting, dabs, flounder, conger. Try for some time in January/Early Feb, the main run of fish will have passed and the crowds will have disappeared with it. There will still be plenty of fish to be caught mind you but distance casting essential. Daylight competition only. Everything stops feeding at night, apart from the congers I'm told...... For a 6 hour comp we need to pick a small tide to make fishing easier due to strong tide runs through the venue.

You're 15 minutes from the City Centre here lads....the world is your oyster..... :D

Garretstown Strand, situated about 6 mile or so from Kinsale, there are 2 beaches here, one long one and another shorter one. Beauty of this spot is the smaller beach tends to produce a better surf so all surfer dudes tend to congregate on this one. The longer beach has nearly always produced for me with Flats, Ray (apparently....not by me though...) LSDs, coalies, whiting, codling and of course, the main one....Bass. Fishes better in the evening towards nightfall. Bass in the surf, if no surf running, dont despair, plenty of LSDs, flounder etc to be had. Its an easily accessible beach with plenty of parking, access if you wish to drive on (4x4) and with a decent variety of fish. Loads of room for umpteen anglers. This beach doesnt get as heavily fished as other marks, you are lucky to see other anglers around but its by no means indicative of the fishing. Only down side of this mark is strong southerlys can make it unfishable with weed, I would suggest a back up venue somewhere around Clon/Courtmac should those conditions prevail. Autumn probably best time of year for variety. Fish LW up.

The White Lady in Kinsale beckons..... Its legendary :D

Inch Strand in East Cork is a super surf beach venue but may be a little small depending on how many anglers turn up to fish. You can be plagued with vermin surfers so evening comp stuff only. There are plenty of marks that could be used as back up venues if its unfishable-not enough room etc. It could, at a push accomodate maybe 10-12. Lovely venue however. LSDs remarkably uncommon here surprisingly enough. Specimen dabs have been taken. Buddy had a 44 cm flounder off it earlier this year too. Coalies and ray also.

Donegal:

Ray and LSDs to be had at Fahan just outside Buncrana. Fishing into a channel near the marina. V easy access to mark, no real distance casting required. Fish a couple of hours either side of LW..

Dunree, just outside Buncrana: Very varied fishing here, best fished as a rambler TBH due to the nature of the ground/marks. You can fish off the main beach for flats and LSDs, the little beach at the RHS for the same or off the rocks into mixed ground for pretty much all the Flats, Ray, LSDs, Pollack, Gurnard, Coalies. Off the opposite side, fish from rocks into rough ground for Wrasse, Pollack, LSDs etc. This mark fishes in all weathers, due to the nature of it it will always be possible to find shelter somewhere. Long walk required however unless fishing off the main beach. Maybe best considered for an outing rather than a competition.

Suggestion, combine a shore comp in early may with a boat comp/tope hunt the following day on the Swilly. Half the day toping, half the day species bashing....????

Great nightlife to be had in Buncrana lads, Nice mix of lovely Northern ladies who dont like their fellow countrymen and the local tottie (aside from the odd swamp donkey or 10)..... :D

Rossnowlagh: Surf beach fishing for Flats, Sea Trout, LSDs etc

Culdaff: The main beach at Culdaff (not sure of the name) Fish for Flounder, Turbot, Sea Trout, rumours of small bass...., Coalies, Gurnard, LSDs also. Large beach, easy access.

All stay in Carndonagh on the Saturday night and take over the local hop...The Tul na Ri :D Lads its quantity here rather than quality I'm afraid but remember its a small town, the power of attraction of a strange accent knows no bounds...

Loads more I could throw into the mix but ill leave it at that for now. I've tried to cover the important points...... :wink:

Incidentally, specimen hunt at the Bridges of Ross BTW
Last edited by petekd on Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby jd » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:03 pm

petekd wrote:Incidentally, specimen hunt at the Bridges of Ross BTW

Absolutely
Tie it in with a boat trip/comp out beyond Loop head too!
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby petekd » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:09 pm

On that point JD, I'd like to see more boat trips coinciding with the shore comps too wherever possible. Level of interest in the boat end of things was poor to say the least this year and it could certainly improve that. Just a thought....
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby jd » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:13 pm

I'll try to arrange outings from Kilmore for any Wexford Competitions if that is ok.
jd
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Re: Suggestions: Competition Venues for 2007.

Postby teacher » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:20 pm

jd wrote:Also, the northerners are keen to try for smooth-hound and bass, so maybe North Wexford again June/July? Tie it in with Web Site North/South meet?
jd

Not too far North. :D

How about Ballinoulart, just south of the new wind farm near Kilmuckridge. Theres lots of parking and a stream about 1/2 mile north of the car park.

It's a popular compo venue so we might have to have an alternative, but Knocknasillogue, Ballyvaldon, Morriscastle, etc. are all within 15 minutes drive. An alternative (I'll be killed by locals for suggesting this) is to drive to Old Bawn and walk South about 1/4 mile. It's the same beach, just a bit further North.

This beach produces best results (esp. Bass) after dark.
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby barry murphy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:32 pm

ballyteigue sounds good but april maybe should be a good lot of flounder around then.

what about a mark for fishing ray down in kerry ment to be some great rock marks down there.might beat 10 people standing on a beach with 1 or 2 fish between them????

ballyquinn or cunnigar co waterford.there is a good number of beaches in the area if 1 was fishing best closer to the date it could be used.

waterford the river some good cod the last few years

poulnasherry co Clare i know it fished bad when ye up their last year but if you get the tide right it can be a great spot.

rosslare strand or the safe co wexford.

monkstown cork
barry
barry murphy
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 22 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby BigPhil » Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:58 pm

benone....???!! :x :shock:

nah seriously guys if you want try try venues in the north as a roughish ground venue during daylight in summer ramore head at portrush can fish well and hold plenty of anglers....best fished as a rover IMHO.also fishes well at night but as with all rock venues care is needed at dark as it can be dangerous when it gets wet. also on the east antrim coast, carnlough beach fished reasonably well during this summer
Not the BigPhil from Irish Angler mag, I'm the original, i swear!!!!
BigPhil
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby m.b3 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:02 pm

[quote="BigPhil"]benone....???!! :x :shock:

:lol: :x
m.b3
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 143 times
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby cortaz » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:38 pm

cunnigar. april/ set.
almost garenteed bass, mayby bream, millions of golden gray mullet if u can catch them :)
very safe and easy to fish/get to.
i,ed take on all the northern lads there, and flog em 8) :lol:
cortaz
Convicted Poacher - No Shame

Have thanks: 131 times

Postby jd » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:40 pm

cortaz wrote: i,ed take on all the northern lads there, and flog em 8) :lol:

Hold on, that's stevecrow74 's job!
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby hairyconger » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:50 pm

m.b3 wrote:
BigPhil wrote:benone....???!! :x :shock:

:lol: :x

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Theres clearly not enough fish up here to travel for :shock:
hairyconger
SAI Megalodon!

Postby jd » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:06 am

cortaz wrote:cunnigar. april/ set.
almost garenteed bass, mayby bream, millions of golden gray mullet if u can catch them :)

We'll definitely be down there, but it may be a bit awkward to have a comp when we are about half a km from shore!!
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Postby teacher » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:16 am

jd wrote:

We'll definitely be down there, but it may be a bit awkward to have a comp when we are about half a km from shore!!

I'd be up for that but I'm not sure about a compo to hammer small bass in big numbers. I know the cunnigar gets big numbers of anglers anyway ...

How about a compo location near cunnigar where there's a chance of fewer/bigger bass, preceded/followed by a separate, shorter informal lures or bream outing on the cunnigar itself???
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Postby teacher » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:19 am

jd wrote:

Sounds like a nightmare. You'll have people treading on others' traces and folks wading would have to wear hard hats in case they get hit by lead. :D
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Postby cortaz » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:43 pm

jd wrote:
cortaz wrote: i,ed take on all the northern lads there, and flog em 8) :lol:

Hold on, that's stevecrow74 's job!

i,am on about fishin not drinkin :lol:
cortaz

Postby cortaz » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:16 pm

just thinkin theres a mark about half way between helvic and ballyquin,
were i,ve had t.b. rays 20lb+,plaice 6lb.+,congers,dogs,huss,dabs,bass,scad,macks,flounder,pollock,coalies,gurnards,sea trout,codling,wrasses,1 john dory,small torbut,small brill, whitin,mullet
+other types of rays and all the mini species, chad hake, black sole and hounds have been taken here also.
will try and post a few pics.
cortaz

Postby Al » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:48 pm

cortaz wrote:just thinkin theres a mark about half way between helvic and ballyquin,
were i,ve had t.b. rays 20lb+,plaice 6lb.+,congers,dogs,huss,dabs,bass,scad,macks,flounder,pollock,coalies,gurnards,sea trout,codling,wrasses,1 john dory,small torbut,small brill, whitin,mullet
+other types of rays and all the mini species, chad hake, black sole and hounds have been taken here also.
will try and post a few pics.

I like the sound of this place :shock:
Al
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 112 times

Next

Return to Sea Angling Ireland SAC