Year Long Species Hunt..

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:28 pm

I have an idea for a year long species hunt next year. Basically all you need is a camera, and a 2007 edition newspaper. The first photograph of a species posted in the thread counts, but you must have a 2007 newspaper included in the picture. Person with most species wins. Thoughts?

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:33 pm

sounds good JD! good idea!? i'll mention it to some of the lads!! heres to the first goby!

Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:42 pm

Well it is just a pretty brain fart at the moment. Maybe a photograph and 1 other sai member to verify if you get forget your newspaper! mmm
JD

Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:34 am

moved from committee board..

kidnapping fish!

Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:41 pm

Hi

Sounds like a great idea.

Not sure about the dated newspaper, sounds like a kidnapping. You have been watching the Godfather too much lately JD! :lol:

I suspect some on these boards will want evidence the fish is still alive before the ransom is paid... ok, I know, thin ice :D :wink: ....

...skating swiftly along... what about species ratification, I know I would have difficulty with rock cooks, corkwings and other mini species...

FWIW

Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:47 pm

Very interesting idea. I didn't join the club as it would be hard for me to make competitions. With camera phones killing fish for evidence of capture wouldn't be necessary. To a certain extent we'd have to relie on honesty. One thing it would have to be separted between shore and boat caught fish as the boat angler would have an advantage.

Donagh

Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:11 pm

jd wrote:Well it is just a pretty brain fart at the moment. Maybe a photograph and 1 other sai member to verify if you get forget your newspaper! mmm
JD

Apologies for the non-member intrusion ...

Paper will get wet. How about getting some "Official SAI 2007 Species Hunt" rulers, which would only be available from 1/1/2007 and would have a distinctive logo.

You would have to trust someone not to doctor photos by inserting newspapers after-the-fact.

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:09 pm

teacher wrote:
jd wrote:Well it is just a pretty brain fart at the moment. Maybe a photograph and 1 other sai member to verify if you get forget your newspaper! mmm
JD

Apologies for the non-member intrusion ...

Paper will get wet. How about getting some "Official SAI 2007 Species Hunt" rulers, which would only be available from 1/1/2007 and would have a distinctive logo.

You would have to trust someone not to doctor photos by inserting newspapers after-the-fact.

that sounds like a better idea... (just dont charge too much for the ruler)

and any money's made from said ruler could be combined for prizes
(just a thought) :lol: :lol:

Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:34 pm

stevecrow74 wrote:that sounds like a better idea... (just dont charge too much for the ruler)

Someone could sponsor it in exchange for getting their name in all the photos :D

Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:28 pm

A couple of quick thoughts:

1. Seperate 'provinces' comptetion.
2. Seperate sections for fish C&R and those kept for the pot.

Should allow a few more people into the honours....

Great idea about the ruler......

Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:14 pm

yep, good idea sandman, id have to agree with you there, seperate provinces would be required as it would leave some at an unfair advantage

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:18 pm

u could try some sort of sticker as most people have a ruler already....

just a thought

Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:58 pm

I don't want to make this too complicated.

The original idea was a species race, with only the first photograph of a species counting.

For the club, maybe a separate boat and shore comp.

For the site, it could be broken up by province (I guess by where the poster lives) as well.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:28 am

Instead of paper/ruler u could just use the date & time function on the digital cameras to show (prove :wink: ) the time and date the fish was caught???

Would show up on each pic submitted.........

John.

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:02 pm

i was just about to say that, it was looking as things were going to get a bitcomplicated there with stickers and rulers and what nots

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:16 pm

Kraken wrote:

Would show up on each pic submitted.........

John.

Easily edited :)

I suppose we may just go with an honour syster, if we do it.
jd

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:29 pm

the paper is the best idea stick the sun beside the fish on page 3, i have a photographic memory so depending on the lady i could tell the date,

regards,

samo

Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:29 pm

I think the honour system is the only way to go here. Things are starting to get very complicated with stickers, rulers and provincial seperation. Provincial seperation may level the field, but it get more difficult to manage. Although there should be some seperation between boat and shore angling.

Kev

Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:31 pm

just in case you don't trust each other (newspaper, ruler, edited photos) why don't you try to fish in pairs or only count the fish caught at meets. that way there would be more wittiness to validate your claim.

PS is it the first species of each fish or the first specimen of each fish

Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:49 pm

i think it is not necessary to fish in pairs even though it would b better.....just high defnition pics of the fish and trust.i dont need to lie i catch so much :lol: :lol: :lol: (not)