6th Competition; Goulane ,Dingle, Co. Kerry; Sept 9,2006

Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:04 am

Any more info on this Compo.
Is there people staying the weekend

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:50 am

My plan is t5o be in the generqal area for the weekend, and getting a pass for 7 hours or so for the comp..
jd

Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:59 am

Wont be able to make this one myself :( . Was the one I wanted to fish the most but work has intervened!

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:05 pm

Seaniebo wrote:Wont be able to make this one myself :( . Was the one I wanted to fish the most but work has intervened!

How about Mark?
any news?
jd

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:05 pm

Work eh Seanie??? Ive a better one, Im flying off for a weeks sin and debauchery with a buddy of mine (no missus or anything :D ) in Santa Ponsa so unfortunately I wont make it. I will however be back in time to make a mad dash down to Kilmore for the Boat comp the following weekend.

Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:27 pm

Marks not sure, He may have too much on but is going to try and make it. Think he should be back online by the end of the week too.
Pete I want to see full catch reports from this week of sin! :wink:

Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:20 pm

Pete I want to see full catch reports from this week of sin!

Expect the traditional 20 minute read with pictures attached... :D

Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:18 pm

Can anyone RECOMMAND a B&B or Hotel in the close by area.

what are the target fish and are we fishing a beach or rock mark

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:25 am

I'll be there but probably just fish the comp and head away after, I heard Mac is having a party in his tent afterwards to celebrate his 40th Bday!

We could all stay there if needs be!!

Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:45 am

I'll be there for sure, as I'm down around those parts that week anyway.

i won't have internet access from today, so I might forward my number to you JD - you might drop me a text with the meeting point/time etc?

Thanks.

PS - for anyone who in undecided on this one - the variety of fishing in these parts is incredible. The comp is mainly aimed at bass, but there will be flounders, and a chance of painted ray also. There are about 10 other marks within 20 minutes driving of Castlegregory, so it's worthwhile making the effort to come down - the fishing in these parts can be phenominal.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:48 pm

We will meet up in the spar car park , castlegregory.
As fishing is at noon, can we meet between 10 am and 11 am.

http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/bull ... ion_id=137

I'm not familiar with the area, so if someone (Mac,Steve ) could suggest an alternate it would be great.

I'lll pm my mobile number to club members again.

Could those going post below.

So far we have jd,steve , mac,kleeneze, maybe m.b3, kstaff ... ...

A friend my drop up to fish alongside us as well.
jd

Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:16 pm

Count me in. Not sure if i will be staying over night yet.

Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:03 pm

Hi guys, i know i'm not a member of any club (no where near good enough :oops: ) but i spent a couple of weeks each Summer down in Castlegregory for the last couple of years and for anybody looking for a good B&B you can't go wrong with Kellihers (first house on the right as you enter the village) or Lurraga house (highly recommend) back in Camp.In case of emergencies :lol: both Natterjacks and Spillanes are decent Pubs.Also The Seven Hogs (formerly Tralee Bay hotel) might be worth a call, not sure if they still do B&B but the pub can be great Craic. Enjoy the Comp best of luck.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:18 am

Hi guys,

I wanted to get your thoughts on the Comp itself. I've heard that there can be a lot of surfers on the strand during the day, especially if there is a decent surf. The target species during the day will be flounder, Turbot, Bass and doggies. If we move it towards the evening with perhaps an hour or two of the comp into darkness we could be looking at some Coalies and perhaps some Ray as well as the ather species. I hear there can be some nice Coalies as well. This way we might avoid the surfers..... If we do this we will be fishing across the top of the tide as well which might will mean less rushing backwards with the incoming tide (Huge 4.8m) I'm quite happy to leave it as it is though if people would prefere.

Kev

Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:51 am

I don't mind- are suggesting say 3-8??

Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:55 pm

I'm not fishing the comp as i said earlier but have seen this beach thronged at this time of year with surfers if the conditions are right for them, same conditions that are right for fishing. As Mac says the species count improves after dark aswell. Good chance of painted ray!

Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:30 pm

As you know mac, I'm easy :)
Give me a time and I'm there 8)

Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:34 pm

I have to admit ( not wanting to cause any offence) that a midday comp wasn' t instilling any confidence to be honest. If the weather is good bright sunshine and clear water (think the last Wexford Comp) may not produce the best results. It's a long way to go to scratch for Dabs if conditions are wrong. Considering the possible potential of surfers a fast moving incoming tide forcing you to move every 2 minutes and a couple of palm sized flats, I would prefer a switch for a later match!!

As i said it's just my two cents, whatever happens is fine I'll still be there!!

Kstaff.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:45 pm

How about fishing 4.00 to 9.00. This would minimise the amount of movement required. High tide is 6.50 or so.

I may have to hand my card in (to mac :p) a bit early as I have to be elsewhere

jd
Last edited by jd on Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:44 pm

Coaster.... I always knew you were easy.. :lol:

At least were on the same wavelenght. This should push us into dusk. Hopefully there won't be too many surfers. This is a big bay so we can always move a little. I will pick a backup venue on the south just in case there is a southerly and no surf we can fish to a venue with a bit of surf.

I will confirm numbers and all that stuff next Monday.

Kev