how did it go?!?!

Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:02 pm

how did yee get on lads??! any good fish/ big bags??!!! come on! let us all know!

Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:24 am

Peter won

4 Pollack best around 45 cms / 3 lbs.
1 Mackerel, stonking late fish (later gutted to reveal it had been feeding on pollack fingerlings), around 1.25 - 1.5 lbs.

Had an appalling day, saved from a blank by two miserable pollack.
Should have fished Scotcport Rocks bay, very sheltered but didn't.

Tippe Pier was discounted following advice from the local tackle shop.

Mans, dutch carp angler had 22 fish (no seriously 22), many smaller than the lure however but he would have won the competition if he was a member!

Weather was superb, conditions were very rough (really big swealls) so we had to fish sheltered spot near Frenchport Pier on the north side of Annagh head. Won't be heading back in a hurry although Peter had a good hour or so spinning with various lures.

I will have to ask JD is two anglers constitutes a competition!

Have some pics...

Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:25 pm

only 2!!!! glad yee got some fish though. get them picci's up!! cheers for the report Kieran. thanks.

Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:50 pm

There was only two of us but the rivalry was intense!!! It was a pity the weather was so rough, if it had been calmer we could have got to the rocks around the Eagle Island lighthouse. We should schedule a summer date for Belmullet in next years comps in order to avoid the big groundswell. I still can't get over the size limit for a counting fish, its tiny.

Pete

20 cms limit

Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:47 am

Yeah 20 cms is ridiculous on the west coast.

I think we need to review this when we look at venues and bump it up to 30 cms on occasion. What do other people think?

Like the man said, "intense"!!! :wink:

Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:15 pm

Good to see that you got a few fish, even if it was tough. I'll have to double check the fish size limits. As our first comp was on the east coast this is the size limit used by the Leinster branch so we adopted it. If there is a larger size used by the North West, West or South west clubs we will look at how we ammend sizes for different venues..... Mark, if your about turn on your mobi.... I'll be calling you in about an hour.

Kev

Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:35 pm

sorry Kev my phone was dead. i'll give you a shout! we could have a 'year review' before the new year starts and address all these things?

did anyone try bait fishing at the comp??

bait fishing

Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:41 pm

Yep

Hordes of crabs where the water was calm... did nto try further up towards the mouth of the bay was it was rough and rough ground too.

Small pollack scoffed whole AMMO sandeels presented on pennel rigged 3/0s off the pier wall - hard to believe the buggers could fit it into their gobs! Definitely an option for banging one on the head and chucking it back to see what was out there feeding on such a plentiful supply of them.

FWIW

Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:53 pm

greedy buggers!! have a few venues in mind for the next comps. need to get more info on 'em though. will report back Kieran!