SAI SAC Master angler #2 Ballyhealy Co. Wexford 24/03/12

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:10 pm

People: Don, Dominator, David, Gar, Mick, Al, Seaniebo, Keith, Jayball, Gordy and JP.

Duration: 5 hours 17.00 to 22.00

Tide: High water 19.30

Weather: Cool south easterly wind. Dry

Bait: Various

Rigs: Various

Results:

Report:

We landed at ballyhealy to be greeted by a biting south easterly wind blowing in from the sea. There was a nice surf running with it and conditions looked pretty good with no real sign of weed in the water. However looks can be deceiving and aside from the first cast, the next 2.5 hours was a weed fest.

A lot of lads were losing gear in it. Al to my right went through a horrible hour where I think he lost 4 or 5 rigs in a row. The fishing wasnt exactly setting the world alight either and by 7 pm only gordy on peg 1 had a fish on the beach with a nice bass in the fourties. At this stage the weed eased off somewhat and people started to pick up a few fish.

I got a coalie just before darkness set in and word up the beach was that gordy had two more bass and jp beside him was hitting a few flounders. Jayball beside jp got a fine flounder too of 37cm to pretty much guarantee him the flat pool. The fishing was still quiet enough to be honest and it was hard to know what to try.

Just as I was contemplating putting Al out of his misery with a lethal injection, I noticed a sharp pull down on my rod tip followed by a slack liner. Reeled it in and was delighted to see a doggie had taken the top hook. Lug tipped with black wrap had done the trick! Looked to my left and keith was after getting one too on wrap maddies and mac. Didnt have a doggie trace baited up so I cast out three hooks of lug and maddies and went about getting some sandeels on hooks. Just as I finished baiting those up i noticed another slack liner and duely reeled in a double of a dog and a flounder on the lug and maddies.

I spent the next 45 minutes fishing for dogs "properly" with fish baits landing only one with this method. Should have stuck to the lug and maddies! By the time 10 o clock rolled around we were all delighted to be getting off the beach. It had been a tough night at the office. Chatting to the lads in the carpark it looked tight between myself and jp for top spot. We both had 5 fish and the same points with 172 each. in the end the winner was decided by longest individual fish, for which doggies dont count so jp who had a bass won overall. I was second and gordy got third.

Longest round fish went to gordy with a bass and jay got the longest flat pool.

As always the craic and banter was great with the lads. Have been out of action for too long and cant wait for the two day down in Kerry in the summer.

Re: SAI SAC Master angler #2 Ballyhealy Co. Wexford 24/03/12

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:39 pm

sounds like a tough few hours sean,that weed can just sap your fishing mojo,a hook full of weed wont catch anything :evil: even though the fish where prob their :!:not to mention a strain on the old back! still you got a few fish in the end 8) that gordy lad and the bass :roll: think i might have given him too many tips at this stage :lol: :lol: in fact i think i,ll have to start keeping an eye on him and examine some of those traces he is using :mrgreen:

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:55 pm

roger de dodger wrote: that gordy lad and the Bass :roll: think i might have given him too many tips at this stage :lol: :lol: in fact i think i,ll have to start keeping an eye on him and examine some of those traces he is using :mrgreen:

it not his rigs it the great bait he useing :) :)

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:53 pm

sounds like a hard session,,well done lads,,,well done Jay on the flounder :D

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:03 pm

Nice report sean!
Was a nightmare alright, fair play for not offering me the lethal injection because I prob would have taken it :lol:
Hope Gordy gets his rod fixed too, that makes a poor days fishing worse! :(
Well done to jp, Sean and Gordy for the top 3 and also to jay on his flounder :)

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:36 pm

Fair play JP, Seanie and Gordy and Jay of the flat. Nothing worse then a weed off but at least some of you turn it around.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:59 am

Nice report Sean and fair play on your result. Was tough with that weed alright. Just lost the one rig myself. Poor Al. What peg was he on? Think Ill head down at the weekend and do a bit of "rig fishing". Times are tough and I'm running out of lead weights :wink:

Lost a round in close. Bass or Coalie which was pretty disappointing but hey thats fishing! Hope to see ya down in Kerry in the summer.

Thanks to the lads above for the kind words on the flat. Was a fine fish alright.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:55 am

Good report Sean and weldone on the 2nd place to the great one who continues to remain great!

Weldone to all who made it and Jay on the fine flat. A braid trace done the damage I'm told. :D

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:55 pm

kstaff wrote: Weldone to all who made it and Jay on the fine flat. A braid trace done the damage I'm told. :D

Cheers Staffo. The braid didnt make an appearance. Got death treats in the post during the week so decided to respool with mono :wink:

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:59 pm

Got death treats in the post during the week,

Yeah sorry about that but it's a harsh lesson you had to learn!! :D

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:19 pm

kstaff wrote:Yeah sorry about that but it's a harsh lesson you had to learn!! :D

Lesson learned but did ya have to spell it out in Lug juice? Postman wasn't impressed :wink:

Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:22 pm

We were very unlucky with the southeasterly winds. They just kill the fishing on those beaches.

Well done to Jay on his first Match fishing prize- first of many I am sure.

Gordy had a bit of a mixed day , from 3 bass in quick succession to breaking his rod late on - The joys of a day on the beach huh :x

Roll on kerry.