Holiday longshot

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Holiday longshot

Postby Its Ofishal » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:39 pm

I might be travelling to Australia (Bondi) to visit family in Feb and was wondering if anyone ever beach or rock fished near there and if so any tips re marks baits, tackle would be much appreciated.
Its Ofishal
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 103 times

Re: Holiday longshot

Postby chuckaroo » Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:42 pm

Have been there but never fished that actual area
Have fished other shore marks in Australia though and was happy to throw out a standard set-up using prawns as bait, which were bought in the local supermarket. I used a simple spinning rod, 2/0 hooks, 20lb line or thereabouts - and caught a lovely red snapper. Watched others catch decent ray (20-30lb) and sharks on bigger baits
Otherwise, like any other destination abroad, it is best to try and do as much homework as you can before you go, with emphasis on trying to get local knowledge from a local tackle shop, a local person, or someone who has been there and done it already. Go onto google maps and try and get very specific marks, ones that are accessible and feasible to fish, beach or rock
Think about what sort of fishing you prefer - general scratching or targeting larger fish etc, there will be big differences in set-up if you want to target bigger fish - bait or lure or fly etc - then do the homework.. Ask them as many questions as you can, especially about the marks. Offer to buy a cheap set-up off them (tackle shop) that will do you for the duration
WSF forum can be good for help too so maybe worth putting a post up in there, in the 'Rest of the World' section. You'd be surprised at the feedback.
Australia offers fantastic fishing
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby Caz-Galway » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:01 pm

You could try watching some of the old Rex Hunt fishing programs on YouTube. If I remember right he did lots of shore fishing around Sydney.

Caz
Caz-Galway
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 41 times

Postby Its Ofishal » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:09 pm

Thanks a lot lads I will start looking straight away.
Its Ofishal
SAI Bait Ball

Postby chuckaroo » Wed Dec 14, 2022 3:43 pm

Its Ofishal wrote:Thanks a lot lads I will start looking straight away.

Yip, it's a long way to go to arrive and find out that it wasn't as straight forward as you might have thought or hoped (hopefully it is though). Places can be weeded up, or have huge swells coming in so also good to have back-up options just in case... etc..
Check if a fishing license is needed too, and check for any regulations in relation to fishing beaches in relation to swimmers etc... good luck
Charlie

2024 targets:
porbeagle, stingers, seatrout, shore skate, shore tope

For this message the author chuckaroo has received thanks:
Its Ofishal (Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:28 am)
chuckaroo
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 819 times

Postby Boris » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:44 pm

Fishing in Australia is so much easier than here. tackle and bait are readily available even in most petrol stations. Theres a walk from bondi to coogee where you will pass beaches and rock marks, however you won't fish the beaches unless its dark due to crowds and i cant ever recall people fishing offthe rocks but it was a long time ago. Out side of the cities as said above fishing is easily accessible.
Boris
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby Its Ofishal » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:55 am

Thanks for the info and now the boss lady is looking at coogee cos she says its not so busy so it might suit me better. I have a bit of youtube and google maps homework to be done.
Its Ofishal
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum