Lure fishing in rough weather

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Lure fishing in rough weather

Postby Teegerstk » Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:53 pm

So I've only gone out fishing once this year until today, where I hit up a rock mark on the Hook Peninsula to fish some soft plastics for pollack.
It was a sporadic decision so I didn't know what conditions were like until I arrived. There was a bit of swell with waves up to 4ft at times with a SW breeze.
I tried all sorts of retrievals and lures to no avail on the flood.
I'm looking to go out again soon but just wanted to know if the conditions made a difference? Normally that's a favorable wind for bait fishing around here but it seemed like it was too rough (especially in close) for my lures.
Was it just a standard blank or do rough conditions have an effect on lure visibility etc?

Thanks!
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Re: Lure fishing in rough weather

Postby MartinC » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:09 am

Pollock can get quite fixated on feeding on a certain type of bait at times,, especially if there are big shoals of sandeel about or sprats,, try experimenting with lure size rather than colour,, I'm not a big fan of metals but you would be surprised how well a small wedge can work some days vs a slender German sprat,, as for the weather if you have wind and tide together they generally hold up on the Lee side of a pinnacle or reef/Rock waiting to ambush,, where you find one there will be many,,

For this message the author MartinC has received thanks:
Teegerstk (Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:29 am)
MartinC
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 97 times

Re: Lure fishing in rough weather

Postby Teegerstk » Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:31 am

MartinC wrote:Pollock can get quite fixated on feeding on a certain type of bait at times,, especially if there are big shoals of sandeel about or sprats,, try experimenting with lure size rather than colour,, I'm not a big fan of metals but you would be surprised how well a small wedge can work some days vs a slender German sprat,, as for the weather if you have wind and tide together they generally hold up on the Lee side of a pinnacle or reef/Rock waiting to ambush,, where you find one there will be many,,

Thanks for that! I definitely didn't pull out all the stops, I tried a few different gullies but didn't cover much ground, neither did I switch up my lures that much either. Hoping to head out tomorrow evening for another go. Very interesting about fish hiding in cover in the rough weather.
I greatly appreciate the advice!
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum