Eagle Point camping Bantry Bay

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Eagle Point camping Bantry Bay

Postby BMcD » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:53 pm

Heading down to Eagle point campsite in Bantry Bay close to Ballylickey. Staying here for a week from Thursday and will be bring some light spinning gear. Was wondering if anyone has stayed here or fished from this site before? Any advice of what to expect would be very welcome.
BMcD
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Re: Eagle Point camping Bantry Bay

Postby keem » Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:49 am

Hi I have stayed there and fished sheep's head and caught macks and pollock from a deep mark on West Side. It's about 20 mins from Eagle point. Didn't catch anything from campsite but should be pollock at back of camp site. Give them a ring and ask if any fishing on site.
Too many lures ... not enough time...
keem
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby Richie07 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:49 pm

Hi
I stay there every year, its convenient for fishing but not all that great. I usually catch Mackerel and Pollock on Kiltys, the Pollock are not all that big compared to the bigger ones you can get further along the Beara Peninsula. My advice would be to drive further along the Beara where the Pollock and Wrasse fishing is exceptional on lures, don't be surprised to get Pollock to 8lb plus from the shore.
A bad day fishing is better than a good day at the office!
Richie07
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 109 times

Postby BMcD » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:20 pm

I gave fisherman's rock as its called on the site a go several times. Tried soft plastics and mack baits out at distance on second rod. Had no success. I snorkeled a good bit of the area around the site. There was small pockets of corkwing wrasse around and the odd decent ballan wrasse, other than that didn't see much. Left two crab traps out for several days and came back empty apart from few star fish. Not much sign of life around the site unfortunately.

For this message the author BMcD has received thanks: 2
donal domeney (Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:05 pm), ollie (Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:23 pm)
BMcD
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum