Wicklow Head Lighthouse

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Wicklow Head Lighthouse

Postby LCG » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:32 am

Anyone fished there before? if so how good is it? nice and tranquil place from the looks of it. area screams Pollock and Wrasse to me
LCG
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Wicklow Head Lighthouse

Postby Dave F » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:19 pm

Have never fished there myself but saw a video of someone catching small pollack. The tide rip off the head looks hefty too so I reckon a tope bait would be no harm either. It's somewhere I want to try myself but not sure what access is like via the road up to the lighthouse.
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby Cd072 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:15 pm

Myself and my wife stayed in that lighthouse a few years ago ...I was raging I didn't bring me rods! Access is grand and not too far from the car. Its a place I wanna fish too
Cd072
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby Dave F » Mon Aug 30, 2021 5:17 pm

Weather permitting, be worth a tope and conger expedition in October I reckon. Need a ball of fresh mackerel.
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Postby EricH » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:02 pm

Dave F wrote:Weather permitting, be worth a tope and conger expedition in October I reckon. Need a ball of fresh mackerel.

Herring would be a very good alternative as there should be shoals running in the bay at that time, especially as the first frosts hit.

For this message the author EricH has received thanks:
Dave F (Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:25 pm)
EricH
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby kbambo80 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:21 pm

Hoping to get out there for a session next week. Fingers crossed the weather holds!
kbambo80
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Dave F » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:03 pm

Reports would be welcome!
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Postby LCG » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:20 am

So lads and ladied. Managed to get 2 sessions in. Was always meant to write something on here for people wanting to go. It was countless amount of Wrasse and a few doggos for me. Originally planned to do some feathering but after an hour of no bite I decided to bait it up with rag and the fun began. Wrasse after Wrasse. Switched to a LRF and nice scraps it gave. 3 fellas were there feathering away and saw them catch pollock. Would have been nice to see them put most of it back as they were way too small to keep. Nice spot would have loved to bring some mackies as bait. Say Tope is definitely hanging about. All I can say is if you do decide to go make sure you bring someone else with you as it's seriously secluded and any accidents, however minor could be your last. Strong winds and fast current to be expected with only the stairs to cover you from the elements. Great sessions so definitely a good spot for me anyways.
LCG
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Dave F » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:48 pm

Appreciate the time to get back. Might keep it to a daylight venue given the difficulties but sounds like it would be great in settled weather, and hard to beat some good wrasse fishing while the big bait rods are out! Reckon landing a decent tope with a long handled landing net is viable?
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Postby EricH » Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:33 am

Yes, Wicklow Head is lethal. Please be careful, as LCG says, your first accident could well be your last. The tide runs FAST here so if you managed to go in, you likely won't be coming out!
Pity about the cunts taking the Pollack, Wicklow Pier is destroyed with the same carry on.
There are some very deep holes just off the steps, the place can be a tackle graveyard, depending how you fish it but it is one spot that can throw up anything.
EricH
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby Dave F » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:56 am

Definitely looks like a tope venue with fresh pollack or mackerel for bait, depending on the season. Definitely some good potential there anyway, will have to take a look at it.
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Postby GKC0806 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:34 pm

Looks like a grand site to fly out a drone and drop a nice meaty bait on a light sinker or perhaps nice some weedless rigged flukes/jigs into the deep, just using a party balloon as a float to keep it off the bottom. A nice current drift would do well to cover a lot of ground along the drop-off. Navionics/Infomar indicates depth is not excessive - 5-8m along the drop-off.
GKC0806
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 11 times

Postby Wombat » Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:19 am

GKC - I am interested to know if you have got the drone fishing going . I have mine with me in Drogheda so will be looking for place to drop some lines.
Wombat
SAI Lug Worm

Postby ESC+RC » Tue May 03, 2022 9:38 pm

Fished the place a couple of times with spinners and jelly worms and caught a few small pollack both times which went straight back in.As it’s been said there is a strong tide run so if fishing be careful.If you fall in you’ll be lucky to get back out.
ESC+RC
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 59 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum