Sutton Estuary

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Sutton Estuary

Postby Kevvv » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:34 pm

Hi All,

Was thinking of heading out to Sutton Estuary and fishing the Sutton Golf Club side. Despite living quite close for most of my life I've nearly always gave it a pass and instead headed for Red Rock (despite many a blank!). I have read plenty that the estuary can be fairly dangerous with sinking sand so just looking for any advice.

The ideal plan would be to head down with the spinning gear and waders targetting bass (if there are any there...)

Any advice highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kev
Kevvv
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 10 times

Re: Sutton Estuary

Postby Gonzo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:47 pm

Kevvv wrote:Hi All,

Was thinking of heading out to Sutton Estuary and fishing the Sutton Golf Club side. Despite living quite close for most of my life I've nearly always gave it a pass and instead headed for Red Rock (despite many a blank!). I have read plenty that the estuary can be fairly dangerous with sinking sand so just looking for any advice.

The ideal plan would be to head down with the spinning gear and waders targetting bass (if there are any there...)

Any advice highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Kev

I've fished there once or twice with not much luck myself but at the time I was just starting out, the biggest flounder I've ever seen caught was at this spot literally in the channel between Portmarnock beach and Sutton! A local told me there is the odd bass caught here but you have better luck at the rocks for them (dunno what rocks he was referring too though).
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Postby Kevvv » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:16 pm

Thanks, Gonzo. Yeah I can't think of any rocks off the top of my head either to be honest. Picked up a new feed shallow lure recommended to me in Swords Angling Centre so gonna give it a run out tomorrow at some stage hopefully. Will report back.

Cheers
Kevvv
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Gonzo » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:19 pm

Kevvv wrote:Thanks, Gonzo. Yeah I can't think of any rocks off the top of my head either to be honest. Picked up a new feed shallow lure recommended to me in Swords Angling Centre so gonna give it a run out tomorrow at some stage hopefully. Will report back.

Cheers

Oh yeah? what colour did you go for?
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Postby big fish » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:05 am

You can get good seatrout there big one got there a couple of months back flounder and bass also good luck

For this message the author big fish has received thanks:
Kevvv (Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:34 am)
big fish
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 18 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby PhilD13 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:06 pm

I've tried for Bass here before without luck, whats the best time of tide to try?
PhilD13
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Postby Kevvv » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:52 am

PhilD13 wrote:I've tried for Bass here before without luck, whats the best time of tide to try?

Still haven’t actually made it out there yet myself. Best thing is to try it at different tides and see what produces. 2 up 1 down and then the opposite is usually how I’d start.
Kevvv
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum