Cromane Co Kerry

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Cromane Co Kerry

Postby privatepile » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:59 pm

Would anyone know if its worth fishing Cromane Co Kerry? I'm not really bothered what I catch it's will be released anyway with the exception of mackerel.
I have some sandeel and black worm so I was thinking of bottom fishing with a pulley ris as well as a float.

Also il presuming 2 hrs before high tide would be the best time.?
privatepile
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 8 times

Re: Cromane Co Kerry

Postby SiDtheFish » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:45 pm

I used to catch some big tope there, but the channel has moved beyond my crap casting distances. But won't any one will struggle with a 7oz grip lead (strong tide) and 8oz of mackerel? Never bothered with the bass as Rossbeigh is so near and good, and tope can be found there (sometimes). For mackerel head out towards Kells, if you can find them. Mackerel have become, probably, our least reliable species
SiDtheFish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby privatepile » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:27 pm

Thanks Sid. I have tried Rossbeigh a few times but only ever caught a small flounder and weed. What would you recomenned for fishing Rossbeigh regarding bait, set up etc? Feel free to PM if you wish
privatepile
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 8 times

Postby SiDtheFish » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:29 pm

Hi
Try lug (easy enough to dig/pump) or sandeel (don't know where to buy up your way). Two hook clipped down rig with size 1 or 1/0 aberdeens. Beach rod and reel. Grip lead. If it's not blowing a hooley I use light braid, a fixed spool and a light (3oz) continental style rod (14ft) or 3lb test curve carp rod with a 3 or 4oz lead. I like to use 2 rods, one as far as I can get it for ray and the other just 30-40yds into the surf (or less). With the bass it's so easy to overcast and miss them!
SiDtheFish
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 12 times

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:06 pm

privatepile wrote:Thanks Sid. I have tried Rossbeigh a few times but only ever caught a small flounder and weed. What would you recomenned for fishing Rossbeigh regarding bait, set up etc? Feel free to PM if you wish

Back beach at the turn of high tide is worth a chuck.
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum