Shore Angling Kilmore Quay

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Shore Angling Kilmore Quay

Postby shortcircuit » Wed Aug 26, 2020 10:34 am

Hi all, am heading off for a week staying near Kilmore Quay. Have the baby along so I don't think I will be able to go for a full day charter, but would certainly be able to get in a couple of shorter shore fishing sessions.

Because I will be tight on room, I won't be able to bring the beachcasters and beach bait gear. So can anyone point me to some decent lure fishing marks nearby? Target species would be bass or pollock.
I see on google maps there is a huge long beach (Ballyteige Burrow) on one side of Kilmore Quay and a smaller beach on the other side which seems to have a sort of rocky spit leading off it.

If anyone has any good advice for me for this area I would appreciate it. PMs welcome.
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 240 times

Re: Shore Angling Kilmore Quay

Postby jellybait » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:03 pm

there is a rocky point to the south of the pier which can holdsome good bass ,(you can walk out to the end of it , the rocky section to the north of the peir is quite shallow and weedy but ive seen people fishing it for bass also in waders , the big beach is a fairly clean beach with not alot of features but itsthis bay that gets stuffed with mackerel but i always fish it from a boat , I think they get some tope from that beach also ,all around the islands are stu7ffed with pollock and great sport on the spining gear but again you need a boat to fish it , there are a few marks around(20-30 min spin in the car ) that are tidal and can produce bass ,flounders etc and mullet , there is also alot of mullet in the harbour
jellybait
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 53 times

Postby shortcircuit » Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:34 pm

Thanks Jellybait, I has spotted that rocky point alright, I will definitely be giving that a go
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Teegerstk » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:30 pm

PM sent
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Postby pajo » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:26 am

Hello shortcircuit,

Most of the charters do a short evening session. Might be worth enquiring about if it suits?

Pajo
pajo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby shortcircuit » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:49 pm

pajo wrote:Hello shortcircuit,

Most of the charters do a short evening session. Might be worth enquiring about if it suits?

Pajo

I may actually get a pass for evening fishing because my wife loves mackerel and may give me an evening off if it means she gets mackerel for the BBQ for dinner
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby shortcircuit » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:50 am

Brief update here folks : I got out for a couple of hours yesterday afternoon on the rocky spit known as St Patrick's Island which is just east of Kilmore Quay.

Wind was strong south westerly meaning it was blowing straight into my face. The area was quite weedy so ended up using surface lures. No joy but a nice way to put down a couple of hours

For this message the author shortcircuit has received thanks:
Teegerstk (Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:15 pm)
shortcircuit
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum