Tips for beginner

Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:34 am

Hello everyone, I have some question about shore angling in Ireland because I never fish in ocean before. I will receive my rod from Italy in the next days. It is a Shimano force master 4.20 200gr with a Tica reel 10.000. I'm thinking to change lines in the spools and I ordered braid 33lb for one and mono 16lb 0.32mm for the other one. Do you think should be enough for the currents in the Galway Bay to cast more or less 5oz? Thanks

Re: Tips for beginner

Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:54 pm

You will need shockleader to take the pressure of the 5 oz on the mainline when casting

Sat Aug 22, 2020 6:42 pm

corbyeire wrote:You will need shockleader to take the pressure of the 5 oz on the mainline when casting

Yes, of course. I have 50lb shock leader. But my worry was about main line.

Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:46 pm

pierojump wrote:
corbyeire wrote:You will need shockleader to take the pressure of the 5 oz on the mainline when casting

Your mainline seems up to the job, do you know if you'll be fishing over rocky or sandy ground?

Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:48 pm

Teegerstk wrote:
pierojump wrote:

Your mainline seems up to the job, do you know if you'll be fishing over rocky or sandy ground?

Not yet. I never tried beach casting here in Ireland but I know that the area is really diversified so I can probably fish in both condition. Do you guess that a 0.32 it is too thick?

Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:52 pm

pierojump wrote:
Teegerstk wrote:
pierojump wrote:

Not yet. I never tried beach casting here in Ireland but I know that the area is really diversified so I can probably fish in both condition. Do you guess that a 0.32 it is too thick?

0.32 is fine, I use 0.35! Your gear seems ideal for general irish shore fishing