Mind your cast!

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Mind your cast!

Postby GKC0806 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:09 pm

Just googling maps looking for nice places to travel to and came across this unusual imagery.
Looks like fair size passenger jet (737 size) at unusually low flight level - check scale of jet to nearby golf course.
Doesn't seem to be any nearby sizeable landing strips or airports, so wouldn't suggest to be on "finals" for landing or take-off.
Not sure if there's any pilots on this site, but pretty damn sure that looks like flying well below "safe" altitude.
Also checked my DJI Drone Flysafe area location maps and that area is not designated as a defined airspace.
Freeking idiot - just looking for a bird strike at that altitude, and zero margin of safety.
Guess even in remote areas we need to be on the lookout when we're making those super long throws.
Would have been some story to tell back in the pub that night :shock:

Googlemaps GPS Co-ordinates
55°11'28.8"N 7°36'34.4"W
GKC0806
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 11 times

Re: Mind your cast!

Postby paulieg » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:54 am

It looks to me like it’s more of an optical illusion from the satellite imagery. It does look like it may be flying at low level, but I’d imagine it’s the way various satellite pictures of the area have been stitched together, and by pure chance an airliner was passing over that area.
paulieg
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Teegerstk » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:03 am

Just had a peek and it certainly looks unusual, as though the 737 is flying dangerously close to the ground.
I think it's down to an optical illusion making the aircraft look like it's flying low while it could be at cruising altitude.
Here's an interesting article on the sort of rainbow looking shadow cast by the 737: https://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archive ... ffect.html

The closest airport would be Derry Airport which I'm pretty sure Ryanair operates out of- so it could indeed be a 737 perhaps on departure out of the airport before making a right turn towards the UK- no normal 737 would be making a transatlantic route unless it was a 737 max, which are currently grounded due to MCAS problems that we've probably all heard of. My guess would be that it was climbing to cruising altitude before turning right.
That being said, the white livery might appear to be an unmarked 737 which could be unaffiliated with airlines- used for reconnaissance at low altitudes?
I say this as last year, a large enough propeller aircraft flew over my house at a scarily low altitude, no more than 70m! A google search told me it was being used for imagery so perhaps this plane could've been used the same way?

On that topic, look up "St. Maarten airport landings" on YouTube, you will see a very unique beach where fishing would be impossible due to heavy aircraft passing literally metres over your head!
Anyway there's my 2 cents as an aviation freak, I'm probably overthinking this tremendously!
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Postby Boris » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:33 pm

there's loads of these on google maps, i spotted one on the coast of sligo too.
Boris
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 13 times

Postby Atlantic Angler » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:14 pm

I presume your taking the piss with "DJI Drone Flysafe area " and "Freeking idiot - just looking for a bird strike at that altitude, and zero margin of safety" but there is so much wrong with your post I don't know where to start but keeping with the angling theme they wanted to see if there was much weed on the beach as they were going trying for bass after their shift .......
Atlantic Angler
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum