Sea Fishing rod and reel recommendations

Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:30 pm

Hey All,

I'm new to the site, only recently found this, but i was wondering if I could pick some minds for a bit of advice/suggestions with regards rod and reel for fishing off the coast.

I've had my current gear for the last 10-15 years and sadly its starting to show its age, was out fishing for mackeral there yesterday off the cliffs south of Kilkee in Clare, and while it was ok for bringing up one or two on the line, when i had 3 or 4 on, the rod would start to creek and the reel gears just slipped when they were out of the water and couldnt lift the weight up the cliff face. I had to get a friend to hold the rod and reel as i pulled the line up by hand.

It's the first time I've had to do this after years of fishing in this spot, and was thinking I could do with a new rod and reel. I'll still be using what i have for when dead baiting, but want to upgrade so I can have a decent main set up for the likes of beach fishing and off high cliffs, both for dead baiting and lures with the likes of mackeral in mind, you know how they are when the going is good, every hook comes up with one on.

I've currently been using a Ron Thompson Dialex Beach Caster 360 (12 ft, cast weight of 100-200 gram) with a Surecatch Advance reel. Haven't been able to find either of these while searching online. They've served me well over the years and have spent many a day/night out on the coast of Clare and other spots around the country, and would be looking towards a similar setup to upgrade to. Only thing is, my knowledge of what's available now is, well limited would be a big understatement

Would anyone have any recommendations?

I'm looking for similar to what i have with regards being able to cast up to around the 200 or so gram weight, mainly as this is what im used to using and the tide can be quite rough alone my usual spots. With regards the reel side of things, ideally one that i could get a second spool for, I'm more used to using fixed spool, it's been many a year since I used a multiplier. Any pointers would be appreciated. I'm based in Shannon, but from Dublin originally and havent been up in a while, though the next time I'm up there I'm thinking of heading into Southside, but that would be probably around mid summer, and am hoping to pick up new gear over the next week or two once I've checked out what options are there.

Thanks in advance

Re: Sea Fishing rod and reel recommendations

Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:49 pm

CraigM84 wrote:Hey All,

I'm new to the site, only recently found this, but i was wondering if I could pick some minds for a bit of advice/suggestions with regards rod and reel for fishing off the coast.

I've had my current gear for the last 10-15 years and sadly its starting to show its age, was out fishing for mackeral there yesterday off the cliffs south of Kilkee in Clare, and while it was ok for bringing up one or two on the line, when i had 3 or 4 on, the rod would start to creek and the reel gears just slipped when they were out of the water and couldnt lift the weight up the cliff face. I had to get a friend to hold the rod and reel as i pulled the line up by hand.

It's the first time I've had to do this after years of fishing in this spot, and was thinking I could do with a new rod and reel. I'll still be using what i have for when dead baiting, but want to upgrade so I can have a decent main set up for the likes of beach fishing and off high cliffs, both for dead baiting and lures with the likes of mackeral in mind, you know how they are when the going is good, every hook comes up with one on.

I've currently been using a Ron Thompson Dialex Beach Caster 360 (12 ft, cast weight of 100-200 gram) with a Surecatch Advance reel. Haven't been able to find either of these while searching online. They've served me well over the years and have spent many a day/night out on the coast of Clare and other spots around the country, and would be looking towards a similar setup to upgrade to. Only thing is, my knowledge of what's available now is, well limited would be a big understatement

Would anyone have any recommendations?

I'm looking for similar to what i have with regards being able to cast up to around the 200 or so gram weight, mainly as this is what im used to using and the tide can be quite rough alone my usual spots. With regards the reel side of things, ideally one that i could get a second spool for, I'm more used to using fixed spool, it's been many a year since I used a multiplier. Any pointers would be appreciated. I'm based in Shannon, but from Dublin originally and havent been up in a while, though the next time I'm up there I'm thinking of heading into Southside, but that would be probably around mid summer, and am hoping to pick up new gear over the next week or two once I've checked out what options are there.

Thanks in advance

Hi Craig,

I recently bought a 15ft shakespeare agility 2 surf rod and have to say it is absolutely fantastic, good high quality feel and is great value for money. If 15ft is too big for you they have them in all sizes and casting weights from 11ft to 15ft!

Tight Lines
Gonzo

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:02 pm

Most anglers seem to be moving towards contiental style 3 piece rods over the 4 metre mark matched with a 7000 or 8000 beach reel.
Penn have some reasonably priced quality rods and reels, you could take a look at some of the Italian brands or the akios range of rods and reels.
But as regards rock fishing in clare, a 12 pier rod and a 10000 reel is d job..

Tight lines

Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:18 pm

Thanks Gonzo, I'll check that out. Is there much difference in casting with a 15ft? or would it simply be just a bigger rod? Never used that size before, 12ft has been the biggest.

Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:00 pm

CraigM84 wrote:Thanks Gonzo, I'll check that out. Is there much difference in casting with a 15ft? or would it simply be just a bigger rod? Never used that size before, 12ft has been the biggest.

Seems to be more power and distance with the 15ft rod, the rod is well designed so it's not too heavy or anything, but yes it can generate some serious distance especially with a pendulum cast!

Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:26 pm

Thanks for the replies, Gonzo and Monkeywrasse.

I've been checking out few sites, and looking at Shakespeare Agility 2 Continental Surf, the long surf model, or Penn Squadron II Surf Rod. all 3 are in around the 14/15ft range.

One thing I was wondering though, would that size rod be alright with fishing from cliffs? most cliffs I'd be going off aren't crazy high, but Kilkee is around 70ft.

With regards reels, I'm still unsure, was looking at Shimano BTR OC Baitrunner 8000 OC, Okuma Axion BF Baitfeeder, Penn Surfblaster II 8000 Fixed Spool Reel.

I'm currently using 35lb line on my current reel and have near emptied that at times in Kilkee. Was thinking about using similar lb line for what i get next and to be honest, I'm not sure what the capacities are like for that size line, or if this is overkill?

Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:23 am

Go with the surfblaster 2 man. Absolutely brilliant reel for the price. Also you should consider loading it up with 30lb braid rather than mono

Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:57 am

CraigM84 wrote:Thanks for the replies, Gonzo and Monkeywrasse.

I've been checking out few sites, and looking at Shakespeare Agility 2 Continental Surf, the long surf model, or Penn Squadron II Surf Rod. all 3 are in around the 14/15ft range.

One thing I was wondering though, would that size rod be alright with fishing from cliffs? most cliffs I'd be going off aren't crazy high, but Kilkee is around 70ft.

With regards reels, I'm still unsure, was looking at Shimano BTR OC Baitrunner 8000 OC, Okuma Axion BF Baitfeeder, Penn Surfblaster II 8000 Fixed Spool Reel.

I'm currently using 35lb line on my current reel and have near emptied that at times in Kilkee. Was thinking about using similar lb line for what i get next and to be honest, I'm not sure what the capacities are like for that size line, or if this is overkill?

Well I'm not 100% on that size cliff with the 15ft rod but I did fish off smaller cliffs here in Dublin and the 15ft length was actually better because you have more reach over the cliff when reeling in, less likely to snag on a rock! The only time I would advise a smaller rod is if you are fishing a tight space such as a pier or if you are going to be casting a lot like when spinning :)

Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:07 pm

I doubt any of the continental rods are suited to rock/cliff fishing.
Stick to a 12 foot rod with a bit of backbone, if your looking for a rock fish8ng setup, put a post in the " fishing tackle for sale" section of the site.
I'm sure some of lads on here will have some rods and reels to suit ...

Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:41 pm

A 15ft rod might be a bit too much 13-14ft is the max id go personally,I Would stick to a shimano fixed spool reel if i was you

Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:14 pm

Thanks for the replies all

I can't see the for sale section, assume that's to do with only recently joining. In the end, I've only picked up a reel so far, was more in need than the rod for moment, my old one had another bit of slipping the other day again, so went and picked myself up a Penn Battle II 8000 version, haven't gotten to try it yet, but it feels so smooth when was filling the spool, got the next 2 weeks off, so be in around Clare coast this week, and Dungarvan the week after.