Mackerel/Bass Shore Locations - Dublin

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Mackerel/Bass Shore Locations - Dublin

Postby Huza91 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:25 pm

Hi All,

Just signed up so please be nice :)

I've been shore fishing for years using feathers, floats and lures and to be honest, I've never really had much luck in catching anything. All I'm really after is mackerel or bass but haven't had any luck in recent years.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any good marks for mackerel/bass in Dublin please? I've checked fishinginireland.info for spots but would appreciate if I could be given some tips/advice please on where is best to go?

By the way, I fished at Poolbeg today using both float and feathers on the incoming tide but all I caught was a cold.

Thanks everyone :)
Huza91
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Mackerel/Bass Shore Locations - Dublin

Postby Its Ofishal » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:10 pm

I saw some mack caught on the inside corner of bull wall with feathers and some small whiting on incoming tide but none after high.

For this message the author Its Ofishal has received thanks:
Huza91 (Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:22 pm)
Its Ofishal
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 103 times

Postby Gonzo » Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:14 am

Huza91 wrote:Hi All,

Just signed up so please be nice :)

I've been shore fishing for years using feathers, floats and lures and to be honest, I've never really had much luck in catching anything. All I'm really after is mackerel or bass but haven't had any luck in recent years.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any good marks for mackerel/bass in Dublin please? I've checked fishinginireland.info for spots but would appreciate if I could be given some tips/advice please on where is best to go?

By the way, I fished at Poolbeg today using both float and feathers on the incoming tide but all I caught was a cold.

Thanks everyone :)

Hi mate,

I've always had good luck with the mackerel off Skerries pier, evening on a rising tide, I've also heard that the water needs to be 14 celcius but I never paid attention to that when I fished there, always just fished on a nice summers evening in June/July. Shiny feathers was my favorite back then. Mind you this was back in 2004-2007 so haven't fished there in a long time.

If you're after a bass, I recently caught one near Donabate beach using peeler crab. You can get bass on most Dublin beaches but especially beaches surrounding estuaries and you want to look for features such as deep gulleys and rough ground to fish into. 90% of the fish are in 10% of the water.

Gonzo
2023 shore species: (0)
2023 hours fishing on shore: 0
Gonzo Fishing Ireland

For this message the author Gonzo has received thanks:
Huza91 (Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:22 pm)
Gonzo
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 413 times

Postby Arthur42Dent » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:41 am

Season has started in Skerries, although slowly. They usually show up on the high tide. You might want to go either early or late in the day as it is often full of kids jumping in the water from the pier that make fishing impossible.

For this message the author Arthur42Dent has received thanks: 2
Gonzo (Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:48 pm), Huza91 (Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:22 pm)
Arthur42Dent
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby slab11 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:59 pm

Hi All,

I am new also! Living in Dublin near clontarf looking for a few spots for Pollock and Mackerel!

Do most of my fishing off the rocks in Mayo so would be used to rough ground!
slab11
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby craigk25 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:13 pm

Iv had a few mackerel and small Pollock on feathers between dalkey island and collymore harbour during the week by boat but I was within casting distance from the shore, I could also see lads from the shore catching fish
craigk25
SAI Lug Worm

Postby paulieg » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:56 am

craigk25 wrote:Iv had a few mackerel and small Pollock on feathers between dalkey island and collymore harbour during the week by boat but I was within casting distance from the shore, I could also see lads from the shore catching fish

Is this done by Dillon’s Park?
paulieg
SAI Lug Worm

Postby craigk25 » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:39 am

Yes from the park, it can get busy there at times so get there early if you want a decent spot :)
craigk25
SAI Lug Worm

Postby paulieg » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:19 pm

Excellent, thanks for the tip. Might hit it up next week when the low tide is early in the day.
paulieg
SAI Lug Worm

Postby paulieg » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:06 pm

Excellent, thanks for the tip.
paulieg
SAI Lug Worm

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum