Fishing tidal rivers

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Fishing tidal rivers

Postby Teegerstk » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:56 pm

Hey all,
Hope we are all coping well with this cabin fever. Just last week, on the night before the lockdown, I decided to fish a tributary of the Waterford Estuary. It's a small-ish river that runs inland for about 2km before becoming a stream. The section I fished was extremely tidal (literally no water at low tide) and although I didn't catch anything, I still have hope as multiple times there was fish activity at random intervals at the surface (reminded me of how carp can frolic about). Obviously I would be thinking there'd be flounder this far inland but could these have been bass or trout? The water is really murky so there's no chance of lure fishing and the like. Sorry if this is a dumb question!

Stay safe and stay home!
Cheers
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Re: Fishing tidal rivers

Postby cd07 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:36 pm

I'd say they were more than likely mullet

For this message the author cd07 has received thanks: 2
donal domeney (Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:44 pm), kieran (Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:32 am)
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby donal domeney » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:32 pm

What baits did you use.
Was there any signs lug or maddies in the mud. Was crab taking your bait.

The one rule I have about tidal fishing is that, fish that travel up with the tide will more than likely come down with it too. Some will find gullies and deeper bits of water to lay low in.

Estuaries should have Flounder and bass in them. So try nearer to the mouth first on a dropping tide and see if there is any fish making their way back into the main channel. If fish are showing, over time you can work your way further along it.

Mark out the channel and gullies that would show over low water as that is where the main run of fish would be when the tide starts to run.

Flounder would often stay in these gullies and deeper bits of water and face up into the dropping tide. As soon at the tide starts to move and lift their tails they are on the move. I've often traveled along the the estuary picking up fish that were on the move. Don't worry about shallow water once you are fishing into the channel. I'e taken flounder in 12" of water.

I would be fishing crab, lug or maddies as the prime bait that is what the fish would be going into mud flats for. You could try your lure fishing over the top of the tide when the water will often be a lot clearer.

Avoid the big tides as they would have a lot of weed traveling with it.
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace

Have thanks: 1248 times

Postby Teegerstk » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:53 pm

donal domeney wrote:What baits did you use.
Was there any signs lug or maddies in the mud. Was crab taking your bait.

The one rule I have about tidal fishing is that, fish that travel up with the tide will more than likely come down with it too. Some will find gullies and deeper bits of water to lay low in.

Estuaries should have Flounder and bass in them. So try nearer to the mouth first on a dropping tide and see if there is any fish making their way back into the main channel. If fish are showing, over time you can work your way further along it.

Mark out the channel and gullies that would show over low water as that is where the main run of fish would be when the tide starts to run.

Flounder would often stay in these gullies and deeper bits of water and face up into the dropping tide. As soon at the tide starts to move and lift their tails they are on the move. I've often traveled along the the estuary picking up fish that were on the move. Don't worry about shallow water once you are fishing into the channel. I'e taken flounder in 12" of water.

I would be fishing crab, lug or maddies as the prime bait that is what the fish would be going into mud flats for. You could try your lure fishing over the top of the tide when the water will often be a lot clearer.

Avoid the big tides as they would have a lot of weed traveling with it.

It was a quick session so I only had frozen black lug. The river doesn't seem to have beds of any kind and its that really thick and sloppy estuary mud. No crab action at all, baits weren't even touched. I can access a point further down river towards the sea although it's not at the mouth. I'll definitely try this place on the drop once the lockdown is over, if I can get some crab by then.

Thanks for the advise Donal. If anyone knows it it's the river that flows through Campile in Wexford.

cd07 wrote:I'd say they were more than likely mullet

I think you could be right although I have never heard of mullet in the Waterford estuary. Flounder hardly disturb the surface so either mullet or bass. Thanks!
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby cd07 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:45 pm

I'd be very surprised if there were no mullet there. I've seen mullet swim up rivers that are little more than streams at times
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby gearoid mc s. » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:57 am

I have seen them come up onto a flooded track on big tides, fearless.
gearoid mc s.
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 73 times

Postby Teegerstk » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:55 am

Thanks lads! The plan is to bring two rods, one for flounder and the likes, and my float rod from coarse fishing to try for mullet. I know they're an elusive species but this mark is close to me (not within 2km though :cry: :lol: ) so I can put in the time to try for one. Just hoping that the lockdown won't be extended, any opinions on that?
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Rod Tips » Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:21 pm

They could be early season sea trout? I thought the flounder and other fatties would be off spawning around now? And the Waterford estuary has plenty of sea trout, most of the year. If they are mullet, then you should be able to see them close to the surface, sometimes you can get the odd seabass swimming with the mullet shoals, they are known to swim with the shoal and ambush prey that would normally not be bothered by the mullet.

Up here in Dublin, there are massive shoals of mullet which come into the Tolka estuary and swim way up the river Tolka. I haven't seen any yet, and I pass the river every day.

IT may be a bit far inland for seabass, that far up the river close to campile.

Hope you are doing well Teegerstk?
Tight lines bro.

Let me know how you get on??
Rod Tips
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 98 times

Postby Teegerstk » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:51 am

Rod Tips wrote:They could be early season sea trout? I thought the flounder and other fatties would be off spawning around now? And the Waterford estuary has plenty of sea trout, most of the year. If they are mullet, then you should be able to see them close to the surface, sometimes you can get the odd seabass swimming with the mullet shoals, they are known to swim with the shoal and ambush prey that would normally not be bothered by the mullet.

Up here in Dublin, there are massive shoals of mullet which come into the Tolka estuary and swim way up the river Tolka. I haven't seen any yet, and I pass the river every day.

IT may be a bit far inland for seabass, that far up the river close to campile.

Hope you are doing well Teegerstk?
Tight lines bro.

Let me know how you get on??

Hey rod tips,
I'll be hitting this mark once the lockdown is over and I'll be sure to report back. Looks like a decent spot for flounder at the very least.
I'm doing grand down here, just dying to get out again with all this free time. Worried about the exams in the summer in this troubled time though!
Shoot me a pm if you're down this way. Can't wait for the hounds!
Tight lines
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum