Beara, dursey sound or a pier for conger.

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Beara, dursey sound or a pier for conger.

Postby RoryH » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Hi lads, would anyone have some info for fishing the dursey sound. I was told to get down to the rock below the cable car. For bottom fishing is it important to get on the slack tide or can you fish through it? Any idea on the ground to expect and what baits work best. i have frozen peeler, lug, sandeel and mackerel.

If the weather turns out to be too rough, is there any piers for conger or anything near by?

Thanks lads
RoryH
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Re: Beara, dursey sound or a pier for conger.

Postby Thompst111 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 2:22 pm

Don't have to be under cable car fish there yearly a lot of conger there.. from mainland looking at dursey to the right there's a place to fish you get the odd snag but mainly be ok. Also got he left of cable car as well. If you use a 6oz grip it should hold bottom pretty well. Only ever used mack and nearly a conger on ever cast (I was hoping for huss). Also south side crow head got a lot of conger but he'll of a walk. The only problem with being under cable car on island is if it's wet it is slippy also your up quite a height to be to be pulling up 10+ pound congers
Thompst111
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby RoryH » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:01 pm

Thanks for that, appreciate the advice. Fished a good bit to the left of the cable car in the end. Rough enough but got a few coalies for my trouble
RoryH
SAI Lug Worm

Postby cd07 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:00 am

To the right of the cable car would have your best bet great little platform to fish from....had some unbelievable fish from there in years gone by. Sadly the drift netters have made a huge Impact there. Our so called government needs to wake up
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby RoryH » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:42 pm

I'll have to try those spots in the next few months. When the weather warms up it could be a lot of fun out there i would imagine
RoryH
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:47 am

I went down to scout that mark our this year, wouldnt go near the place unless there was no wind and swell. Dogey spot. Did see a large pod of dolphins pass under the cable car. I take that as a reassuring sign.

Is there nowhere on the island that you can get down closer to the ocean?
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby Thompst111 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:02 am

On the south side of the island there is a spot. 51.601306,-10.160488 that's the coordinates. If it's windy it is dicey but fished there and some really nice deep water got ling and huss there. Also had 80lb wire bitten straight clean in half while it was dropping down will never know what did it but can only imagine. Your casting into 100+ feet there..
Thompst111
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby Go Big or Go Home » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:28 pm

Thompst111 wrote:On the south side of the island there is a spot. 51.601306,-10.160488 that's the coordinates. If it's windy it is dicey but fished there and some really nice deep water got ling and huss there. Also had 80lb wire bitten straight clean in half while it was dropping down will never know what did it but can only imagine. Your casting into 100+ feet there..

Interesting... cheers for that
Catch, release, reminisce & repeat

2020:Bass, Sea Trout, Pollock, Mackerel, Grey Gurnard, Dab, Conger, and the elusive LSD.
Go Big or Go Home
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 65 times

Postby cd07 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:16 am

Yep I'll vouch for that we'll never know unfortunately...half a mack got cast out hit the water and took off snapping my 80lb wire like it wasnt there. It was still well up in the water so no way it was a conger in broad daylight too
cd07
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 79 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum