Anyone been out around Wexford/Waterford?

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Anyone been out around Wexford/Waterford?

Postby Teegerstk » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:21 pm

Hey all, haven't been fishing in a few months, haven't had the time and when I have, the tides/weather didn't co-operate. The cabin fever is getting to me and I'm itching to get out, thinking of somewhere in the Waterford Estuary or over towards Bannow. Has anyone got any recent reports?
Thanks in advance
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Re: Anyone been out around Wexford/Waterford?

Postby Dave F » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:08 pm

Have had a bad run of weather ruining the fishing lately myself but planning on putting in a few hours around the Waterford estuary, probably around the Ballyhack side of it, tomorrow, and will hopefully have something to report.
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby Teegerstk » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:02 pm

Dave F wrote:Have had a bad run of weather ruining the fishing lately myself but planning on putting in a few hours around the Waterford estuary, probably around the Ballyhack side of it, tomorrow, and will hopefully have something to report.

Yeah the weather hasn't been spectacular but I hope it'll continue to be clear like this morning. Just getting over a virus so I might try get out on the weekend. Good luck!
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Dave F » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:18 pm

I got out for a bit yesterday and it was a slow show to be honest. Very strong tide pulling through the estuary with huge amounts of heavy weed. Only became easy to fish about an hour either side of high, otherwise 7oz grips were just getting bowled straight up or down the river. Had a few whiting, the biggest about 33cm, and one tiny codling about 20cm (Not calling that a success!) but a few nice flats including a dab of 33cm, which somehow ate a whole crab and a 3/0 uptide intended for a cod. Overall, not a great session but I happened to be down that way anyway. I'll be staying closer to home for a bit anyway in the hope of a better session at the codling once the weather quiets down.

For this message the author Dave F has received thanks:
Teegerstk (Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:48 am)
Dave F
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby Teegerstk » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:54 pm

Not a bad session at all, I was out on Monday with poorer results (a 28cm dab and a micro codling) although I only had Lidl mackerel with me. Hoping to get out again soon. Thanks for the report
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby jellybait » Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:07 am

Ive heard of a few reports of some good cod coming from the south wexford beaches recently
jellybait
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 53 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum