lamp battery charging

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

lamp battery charging

Postby Donagh » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:02 am

I've just purchased a chargeable lamp with a car type battery. It says it should be charged in a well ventilated place. Is there some sort of discharge? Will I die a horrible death because I charged it in my hall? :lol:
Last edited by Donagh on Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Postby Neil » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:09 am

If I remember my school physics, once the battery is charged, the current electrolyses the water and splits it into oxygen and hydrogen. In a confined space (smaller than your hall, I guess) the two gases can recombine with explosive results. Try charging in a sealed plastic bag if you want to try this, but even then results aren't guaranteed.....
Neil
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 0 time

thanks

Postby Donagh » Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:35 pm

Thanks Neil for the info.
Donagh
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 27 times

Charging battery

Postby Declan » Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:56 am

I don't think putting the a bag over the battery is a good idea. If there is hydrogen being discharged then the bag will only concentrate it. When it combines with oxygen it makes a very big bang! Assuming it comes from a reputable manufacturer follow the instructions. Ventilation will disperse any gases from the charge cycle quickly and safely.

If you are still worried, charge the battery in a garage/shed that has a mains outlet. If not then put battery outside on a window sill and extend the the charging leads out to it. They are low voltage and will not pose a risk to anybody. Do not extend the mains outside, that would be dangerous.

I hope this is of some consolation to you.

Declan
Declan

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum