Split Rock , Howth

Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:56 pm

Is there a chance that you could get cut off by the tide when fishing Split Rock in Howth? What would you be likely to catch there at this time of year?

Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:15 am

YES!

You can be cut off by the tide coming in behind the split rock and worse it makes the access back up the cliff incredibly slippery and dangerous.

As for species, I have had Coalfish (in the cleft), Pollack on the reef casting from the front out to the right at 45 degrees, and a Dab close in off the far side of the cleft. Whiting Poor Cod and Conger probable. Dogfish common enough at low tide in the section between the rock and the sea stacks on the Nose but it is very rough and tackle hungry.

Wrasse, mackerel and garfish in the summer.

FWIW...

Where is the split rock?

Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:13 pm

Hi Guys,
Excuse my ignorance, but where is the split rock?
Is it on the balscadden or the city side?
Thanks
JK

Split Rock

Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:57 pm

Split rock is also called Devil's Rock and is located to the right of Ballscadden High rocks. At the end of Ballscadden Road is the car park where the cliff walk begins. Take this cliff walk for about thirty yards past the houses to your left. Now look out towards the sea and you will see a rock with a big split in the middle. Go past the set of steps to the right of the house and you will see a "track" down towards the cliff edge. You may need to go on your hands and knees at one stage because it is so dangerous. Follow this track around to the right and down the sheer cliff on some very primitive steps. Now clamber over the rock pools (at low tide!) and climb up on either the left or right side of the split rock.

Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:24 pm

I could be wrong but I believe they're also known as Puck's Rocks.

Thu Feb 05, 2004 6:45 pm

As told in the Cock Tavern late one night many years ago ...

A local saint was living in isolation on Ireland's Eye and the Devil decided to appear to him to try to tempt him... you know the usual stuff, wine, women, power, earthly goods etc. ... The Devil decided it was best to keep some distance so he chose to annoy the hermit from atop a large rock across the water on the heathen mainland. Anyway the hermit was having none of it and eventually, filled with righteous indignation, the hermit hurled the bible at the Devil to get rid of him. The bible hit the rock, split it in two and the Devil has never returned. Split, Puck, Devil... all the same story. Excellent directions BTW George. If you find yourself taking more than half a dozen of the extremely slippery and half covered steps, you have missed the turn off for the cliff track. Very dangerous.

Extremely slippery. Tiny track. Long fall onto rocks. You fall, you die.

Really only in the spring or summer in fine weather on a windless day...

Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:21 pm

Does anyone have any recent reports for the split rock .

Fri Feb 06, 2004 11:01 am

"You fall, You die"...poetic

Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:03 pm

Thank you Kieran and George.
I do in fact remember fishing that rock some years ago and I caught a couple of real nice pollack.
Thanks for your help..
John

PS Can anyone tell me what marks around Balbriggan fish well.
I have never fished there before but would like to try...