525mag & 525magT

Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:04 am

Hi anyone know the price of the Penn 525mag and the mag T. Also any idea on what the 535gs is like?. How about the Daiwa millionaire II?.

Re: 525mag & 525magT

Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:49 am

Jack-the-Fish wrote:Hi anyone know the price of the Penn 525mag and the mag T. Also any idea on what the 535gs is like?. How about the Daiwa millionaire II?.

just picked up a 525gs for 60 yoyo's on Ebay, nice feel to the reel was wondering how it was going to compair to my nicely tuned 6500 but it ahh was just as good....very nice reel great to fish with fast and smooth and really good for rough ground so I found out....think I'll be buying another one and saving the 6500's for clean beaches etc.

John

Re: 525mag & 525magT

Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:04 am

johnhig wrote:
Jack-the-Fish wrote:Hi anyone know the price of the Penn 525mag and the mag T. Also any idea on what the 535gs is like?. How about the Daiwa millionaire II?.

just picked up a 525gs for 60 yoyo's on Ebay, nice feel to the reel was wondering how it was going to compair to my nicely tuned 6500 but it ahh was just as good....very nice reel great to fish with fast and smooth and really good for rough ground so I found out....think I'll be buying another one and saving the 6500's for clean beaches etc.

John

Just picked up Daiwa millionaire 600m II for £40, Yer man said it was used, can't see how though it's mint in box with all the paper work!.

The cheapest I can find a 525 mag is £135 from bargain tackle about €194 plus P&P. My man in America says he can supply the reel for €150 P&P included. He can also supply the 525 mag T and the 535 gs. He says the 525 gs is no longer available. Talk about rip off...........

Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:35 pm

Jack-the-Fish did you try veals for any of those reels.

Penn Mag 525 - Slidy £98.87 (Approx 143euro +PP )
Penn Mag 525 Knobby £114.89
Penn 525GS £59.58 (Approx 85 euro +PP )

Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:37 pm

The Tournamag is a Bloody nice Reel, Mate has 1 paired up with a Big Rod from PPT

Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:37 pm

Dave_B wrote:Jack-the-Fish did you try veals for any of those reels.

Penn Mag 525 - Slidy £98.87 (Approx 143euro +PP )
Penn Mag 525 Knobby £114.89
Penn 525GS £59.58 (Approx 85 euro +PP )

jus picked up another 525GS for 66 yoyo's.....nice...there is a few others on Ebay...

John

Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:41 pm

Have to add on 17.5% vat to veals prices. 525 Slidey goes for 115 sterling.

Donagh

Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:57 pm

Only thing with the T-Mag is thatit doesn't have a ratchet - shame!

Tue Nov 02, 2004 7:56 pm

:?: It's still £12 cheaper from the states €150 = £103. Also if I buy 4 each one would be £20 cheaper. I just want to know if the write ups about the 525 mag are true and is it as good as everyone says. American anglers rave about it. Also if the 535 gs is the 525 gs with a larger capacity spool. Why is it not that popular?........

Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:11 pm

To buy from the states for $150 dollars would incur duty and vat payments of at least 25% payable on delivery which can work out expensive.Mag 525 slidy for 160 euro in Landers,Tralee.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:11 am

bigcol wrote:To buy from the states for $150 dollars would incur duty and vat payments of at least 25% payable on delivery which can work out expensive.Mag 525 slidy for 160 euro in Landers,Tralee.

Not if the declared value is less than $200 then it's free and clear. That's the legal way. I have to say the only things I've paid import duty and VAT on are Guitars!. It seems the bigger and heavier the parcel the more the Customs and Excise become interested.

You can try the polititians way and buy $100,000, and declare at as worth just $10. That's if the sellar is bent!..............I've not tried this way honest.

REELS

Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:16 pm

Contact Kieran or Steve in Limerick they have 525 mags for 179 euro not joking 061-413484 and Landers in Tralee have good prices too.

Wed Nov 03, 2004 5:20 pm

Thanks for that jack-the-fish.I thought the limit was only $50.

525Mag at Halfway Angling bear Cork €150

Wed Nov 03, 2004 7:37 pm

I got mine from Dan at Halfway Angling, he sells them for €150, which is cheaper than any mail order price, never mind the postage, which if you're not in Cork is still going to be cheaper than from the UK.

The number for Dan is 021 488 5894, I dont think he does Visa or Mastercard though, but I know he accepts Paypal, but check with him, I may be wrong.

Cheers,

Phil

Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:55 pm

The Daiwa Millionaire is a bit of an outdated multiplier and has many superiors including the pen 525 which you cant go wrong with.

Penn 525mag

Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:10 pm

Jack the fish,

I doubt if less has been written or discussed about many other reels as the mag. I think the general consensus is that it is a very robust reel, with a great retrieve ratio and in the right hands a great casting tool. The draw backs are it is not as forgiving as the abu's as you only have the mags to control it. Out of the box its hard to handle but put thicker oil in the bearings and things become more managable. The only complaints in relation to quality relate to the mags and the screw holding the anti-reverse coming lose. But as pure beach fishing reels go its a classic. :D

Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:12 pm

DrSeafish

Is the anti reverse screw another name for the spool tensioner? I've got a 525 Mag and I'm not sure what you are referring to.
Last edited by Read on Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:21 pm

Declan,

Sorry I should have been clearer its the screw holding the free spool/retreive lever. However, it has not budged on mine and I think the problem was only related to the inital batches of the reel. I had the odd mag pop out, but glued them in place to resolve the problem. However do not put them back in with the same polarity facing in the one direction, they must be put in alternate polarity. I don't fully understand but its something to do with currents.
My only gripe with the reel is that the spool tension screw tends to stick. I think this was my own making as I had it to tight initially. I currently have it so that you have a slight right to left movement. This is the way it should be set up, however mine still sticks periodiocally. I also had to very slightly grind the edge of one side of the brass spool as it somehow had a knick that caught the outside of the reel cage. The nick hit the cage if the reel was not balanced correctly as it vibrated once you gave it a bit of welly. I don't know how this happened as I brought the reel new and serviced it myself (ie never let it fall). I think a piece of grit may have done it. At one point I thought that whole thing needed to be sent off for new parts, but grinding solved the problem and its running as good as new at present.
I have had another look at my casting (badly needed - tried to run before I could walk), and for the last two weeks have reverted back to the OTG to get the end push pull part of my cast maximized. Its going ok as I can consistantly hit 140 yards (well I did for an hour yesterday) with 6 oz lead. This will hopefully go up to 180 yards with an aerilized version coming up to Christmas. This casting thing is addictive and is having a negative influence on my fishing, which was not supposed to happen.

Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:40 pm

DrSeaFish

Thanks for the explanation. I might leave the mags alone but I will certainly check the anti-reverse screw to see if it is tight.